The Coquitlam Craft Beer Festival at Westwood Plateau is one of Metro Vancouver’s premier events featuring BC craft breweries and food by local restaurants.
The festival has been running for the past three or so years in both March and November.
Beer Festival at Westwood Plateau
The Coquitlam Craft Beer Festival is a great event that features over 40 breweries, dozens of different craft beers, delicious appetizers and lots of people at a beautiful venue.
Festival Dates and Prices
In 2019 the Coquitlam Craft Beer Festival’s spring event takes place on March 9th. It also takes place again most years on a weekend in early November.
On March 9, 2019, there are two sessions. One is from 12:30 until 3:00 pm and the other is from 7:00 until 9:30 pm. General admission for the afternoon event is $55, or $199 for a pack of four tickets. Admission in the evening is $65 per person, or $229 for a group of four.
The event’s venue is the Westwood Plateau Golf & Country Club which is located at 3251 Plateau Boulevard in Coquitlam.
In November, on the Friday, the festival usually runs from 7:00 to 9:30 pm and on the Saturday from noon until 2:30 pm.
2018 tickets in November cost $59 for the Friday evening and $49 for the Saturday afternoon.
On both days each year people can enjoy a nearly unlimited selection of craft beers and food samples. No tokens or extra purchases are required, which makes this an especially appealing and enjoyable event.
What Makes it Special?
A number of things make the Coquitlam Craft Beer Festival stand out as a “best place to be” for people who like craft beers and hanging out with their friends. Below is a list of some of the event’s usual features that for us really stand out.
- The admission price includes complimentary food and beverages. You don’t have to pay extra for each beer sample you try or every appetizer you want to taste. Unlike most Lower Mainland events of its kind, it’s all included!
- The venue is inside a beautiful upscale building. Unlike outdoor beer festivals, this one is indoors so it’s warm and not weather dependent! It’s also a very classy place.
- The festival benefits a worthwhile charitable cause. At the event there’s a silent auction and raffle with 100% of the proceeds benefiting the Ride to Conquer Cancer. Tips at the coat check also benefit the charity.
- The cost is very reasonable. There aren’t many places where you can wander around and sample virtually unlimited beer, cider and food samples!
- There’s plenty of free parking (just don’t forget to pre-arrange a designated driver)!
- In past years the event has offered a safe ride home program. Arrangements can be made in advance with Greater Vancouver Designated Drivers to get both you and your vehicle home afterwards. In past years there has also been a complimentary shuttle service to the Lafarge Lake-Douglas SkyTrain Station at the end of each event. Complimentary transit tickets have also been available at the concierge desk on a first-come, first-served basis.
About the Festival
The Coquitlam Craft Beer Festival takes place semi-annually and it’s one of our favourite Lower Mainland craft-brewery related events.
The Westwood Plateau Golf & Country Club is a fabulous venue. The clubhouse is a beautiful modern West Coast structure and the festival takes place on both floors of the open-concept building.
At the festival there are three or so large and open rooms with breweries and food stations all around. Participants help themselves to a plate and sampling glass and wander around, checking out the latest innovative craft brews and local restaurant offerings.
Over three dozen BC craft breweries participate in the Coquitlam Craft Beer Festival. Each brewery offers a selection of brews with over 120 different kinds in total to choose from. There are IPAs, cream ales, lagers, fruit-infused brews and all kinds of seasonal and award-winning ales.
The food at the festival is really good. When we went there were chicken wings from Wings Restaurant, noodles and poached prawns from the Hard Rock Casino, and deli meat samples, nachos and chili, and upside-down cheesecake. The 2019 selection will be similar.
Also at the event each year there’s a silent auction where participants can bid on a wide range of gifts and treats for yourself, all while supporting a charitable cause.
Tips and Advice
Below are some suggestions to help you make the most out of your experience at the Coquitlam Craft Beer Festival.
TIP #1: Plan in advance how to get home. Taxis are apparently not readily available at the venue. There is likely a complimentary shuttle service to the nearest SkyTrain station at the end, however, and a limited number of free transit passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis (so inquire about these at the concierge desk as soon as you arrive).
TIP #2: Go with a good appetite as the food is delicious and there’s a fair bit of it. Be sure though not to drink on an empty stomach! Pace yourself!
TIP #3: Go with a group of friends. The more the merrier!
TIP #4: Bid generously at the silent auction. There are some great items up for sale and the proceeds benefit a very worthwhile cause.
TIP #5: Make a note of your favourite beers so you can remember them for the future. Also, chat with the people around you to learn what they recommend. With 120 beers to choose from, you want to make sure to sample and remember the best!
TIP #6: If you prefer wine to beer, then consider checking out the TriCity International Wine Festival which may be taking place at the same venue and on the same weekend.
To buy tickets or for more information about the event, check out the Coquitlam Craft Beer Festival website.
For information about the area, click Coquitlam.
For a list of other Lower Mainland beer-related events, click Vancouver Breweries and Beers and scroll to the middle of the page.
For a list of other major events of various kinds at different times of the year, check out any of the following: