It rains a lot in Vancouver, so it’s good to know where to find the best indoor venues and activities, from top attractions to restaurants to shopping.
Depending on what you like to do, you’ll be sure to find something of interest from the following lists and suggestions:
Vancouver’s Top Indoor Attractions
- FlyOver Canada – a film and flight simulation attraction at Canada Place.
- H.R. MacMillan Space Centre – Vancouver’s planetarium and space museum.
- Metrotown – if you like shopping and giant shopping malls.
- Museum of Anthropology (MOA) – at UBC (offering a considerable collection of First Nations art and cultural displays).
- Museum of Vancouver – for history about the city.
- River Rock Casino Resort – just don’t spend too much money.
- Science World – if you have young kids.
- Vancouver Aquarium – although this is half inside and half outside, so still bring an umbrella.
- Vancouver Art Gallery – a great place for art and to escape the rain.
- Vancouver Maritime Museum – good if you like maritime history and want a dry place.
For more top indoor attractions, check out Vancouver’s Best Things to do on a Rainy Day.
If you want to be outdoors despite the rain, then any of Vancouver’s ski hills can be amazing if they’re above the clouds, and forested parks on the North Shore can still be reasonably pleasant (so long as you bring an umbrella or good rain gear and boots).
Other good places to go when the weather isn’t cooperating outside is one of Metro Vancouver’s best recreation or aquatic centres, including Richmond’s Watermania, Vancouver’s Hillcrest Centre and the West Vancouver Aquatic Centre (all of which are especially good for children but can be crowded).
Vancouver’s Best Restaurants on a Rainy Day
Another good activity on rainy, miserable days is to eat out and enjoy some of Vancouver’s best culinary offerings indoors. For the best places to eat and drink in different parts of Metro Vancouver, check out the following:
- Burnaby’s Best Restaurants
- The City of Vancouver’s Best Bars & Restaurants
- North Vancouver’s Best Bars & Restaurants
- Surrey’s Best Restaurants
- West Vancouver’s Best Restaurants
Vancouver’s Best Entertainment and Arts and Cultural Venues
Many of Vancouver’s best entertainment and top arts and cultural activities take place indoors. They aren’t all indoors, but many of them are (making them exceptional places to escape on rainy days). Click Vancouver’s Best Places for Entertainment for more details on everything from sporting events to theatre to musical performances.