The Lower Mainland’s best things to do on rainy days include visiting Vancouver’s museums, restaurants, indoor attractions and entertainment venues.
Vancouver offers so many fun things to do indoors, which is good seeing as we get so much rain!
Rainy Day Things to Do
So where should one go to escape the wet stuff? Below are a few suggestions, including special seasonal activities plus lists of dry places for people of all ages, for children specifically and for adults.
Seasonal Places Indoors
Good places to be on rainy days this time of year include the following:
- Family Favourites Movies – $2.99 movies on Saturday mornings at select Cineplex theatres until at least March 24, 2017.
- FlyOver Canada Flight of the Dragon – FlyOver Canada at Canada Place is currently showing a double-feature including a special film about China just in time for Chinese New Year (daily until February 26th).
- Northwest Comedy Fest – a comedy festival celebrating stand-up, improv and other funny stuff with performances taking place at various venues around town (February 16-25).
- Cavalia Odysseo – an amazing production featuring dozens of horses, riders, acrobats and dancers under a big top at Olympic Village from January 29 to March 12.
- Any of Vancouver’s Best Restaurants.
Dry Places for Folk of All Ages
Great indoor Vancouver places any time of the year include the following:
- FlyOver Canada – a film and flight simulation attraction at Canada Place.
- Grouse Mountain – ... if it happens to be above the clouds (so check before you go).
- H.R. MacMillan Space Centre – home of Vancouver’s planetarium.
- Metrotown – if you want to do some giant-shopping-mall shopping.
- Museum of Vancouver (MOV) – the best place to learn about Vancouver history indoors.
- Pacific Centre Mall – a good place for indoor shopping in downtown Vancouver.
- Vancouver Aquarium – some of the attraction is still outside though, so don’t forget your umbrella.
- Vancouver Art Gallery – a great place for art and to escape the rain.
- Vancouver Maritime Museum – good if you like maritime history and want a dry place.
- For more good places and things to do for people of all ages in Vancouver on a rainy day, check out Vancouver’s Best Places for Entertainment and Vancouver’s Best Restaurants.
Rainy Day Places for Kids
Wondering what to do with children on a wet, miserable day? Below are some great kid-friendly rainy day places.
- Of attractions listed above as best places for people of all ages, H.R. MacMillan Space Centre and the Vancouver Aquarium are both especially good for children.
- Castle Fun Park – home to the best indoor mini golf in the Fraser Valley (plus outdoor go karts, bumper cars, batting cages and more).
- Chuck E. Cheese – a fun place to take young children in Langley.
- Extreme Air Park – indoor trampoline adventure parks in Langley and Richmond.
- Funky Monkey Fun Park – lazer tag, bumper cars, pirate ship ride and playground at 13853-104 Avenue in Surrey.
- Science World – a great IMAX Theatre and lots of cool science stuff to see.
- The Great Escape – an indoor family entertainment centre with mini golf, laser tag, toddler zone and more at 20645 Langley Bypass in Langley.
- Watermania – one of the Lower Mainland’s best aquatic centres, and a best place for children in Richmond.
- West Vancouver Aquatic Centre – another one of the best indoor aquatic centres in Metro Vancouver.
- If you don’t mind the rain and want to take in other top attractions without the crowds, check out Vancouver’s Best Places for Children, for top things to do with kids in general.
Adult Rainy Day Activities
For great bars and restaurants, check out Vancouver’s best places to eat and drink. Just don’t worry about places with fancy views though – if the weather is bad you won’t be able to see much.
For music, theatre and other performances around town, check out Vancouver’s Best Places’ Shows and Entertainment Calendar.
And if you’re feeling lucky, maybe check out one of Vancouver’s casinos. Just take a limited amount of money, no more than you’re willing to lose happily, and play for fun. As they say, ‘know your limit, play within it!’
- Edgewater Casino – a casino at False Creek in Yaletown.
- Grand Villa Casino – a casino in Burnaby.
- Hard Rock Casino – a Coquitlam casino.
- River Rock Casino Resort – a popular casino in Richmond.
For other great things to do rain or shine, check out Vancouver’s Best Places Calendar of Events.