Located just east of Vancouver, Burnaby is the 3rd largest city in Metro Vancouver and home to Burnaby Village, Metrotown and Burnaby Mountain.
Burnaby, British Columbia
With a population of over 220,000, Burnaby is also the third largest city in British Columbia, behind Vancouver and Surrey, and home to Swangard Stadium, Simon Fraser University (SFU) and the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT).
Burnaby’s Best Places
The best places to visit in Burnaby include Metrotown (for shopping), Burnaby Village (for its history), Burnaby Mountain (for its views and parkland) and the Michael J Fox Theatre (for live community performances).
Also of interest is the Burnaby Artisan Farmers Market that happens every Saturday from 9 am until 2 pm from May until October. The farmers market takes place in the north parking lot at Burnaby City Hall (at 4949 Canada Way) and is a good place to pick up fresh produce, people watch and meet the farmers that grow the food.
Burnaby Central Railway is a miniature railway open from the Easter Weekend until Thanksgiving from 11 am to 5 pm. Located at Confederation Park at 120 North Willingdon Avenue, rides cost about $4 or so and last for about 10 minutes.
Burnaby’s Best Festivals & Events
- Hats off Day – a giant street festival along Hastings Street in early June.
- Canada Day – Burnaby celebrates July 1st each year with festivities at Edmonds Community Centre, Burnaby Village Museum and Swangard Stadium.
- Symphony in the Park – a free outdoor concert by the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra at Deer Lake Park in mid-July.
- Giro di Burnaby – a cycling race through the streets of downtown Burnaby in July.
- Colombian Independence Picnic – a small free community festival in Central Park in mid-July.
- Burnaby Blues + Roots Festival – a music festival at Deer Lake in Burnaby in early August.
- Burnaby Artisan Farmers Market – a medium-sized weekly farmers market taking place outside Burnaby City Hall on Saturdays from May until October.
- Nikkei Matsuri – a Japanese festival during the Labour Day weekend in September.