On the Easter weekend there are usually egg hunts, Easter brunches and other spring-themed holiday activities in Vancouver.
Not much happened at Easter in 2020, however, thanks to COVID-19. In 2021 some things are happening – more than last year, but not as much as years before.
Easter in Metro Vancouver
In 2021 Easter takes place on the weekend of April 2nd to 5th. Good Friday is on April 2nd and Easter Monday is on the 5th.
Events we know that are taking place this year include an Easter Animal Safari at Maan Farms, Petey’s Easter Drive-Thru Eggstravaganza, and Easterfest at Taves Farms. All three are COVID-appropriate drive-thru events in the Fraser Valley. There is also a Drive-Thru Food Truck Festival in Abbotsford at the Tradex Centre on the Saturday and Sunday of April 3rd and 4th.
See below to learn more about what’s happening this year. Note: Details are subject to change. Check event websites for exact details.
Events in this article include activities in the following locations:
Click on any of the above links to jump to a specific location or topic, or continue reading to learn about Easter activities throughout the Lower Mainland.
SAVE ON ADVENTURE GAMES IN MARCH AND APRIL
Vancouver Mysteries offers outdoor problem-solving adventure games in downtown Vancouver. There is a Secret Mission spy game, a Crime in Downtown murder-solving game, and a couple of versions of a Heroes & Villains game. All of them are played outside and so are COVID-appropriate. The games aren’t “Easter-themed”. They are, however, fun things to do during the holidays.
During the month of April in 2021 (so including the Easter Long Weekend), if you use the promo code BESTPLACES2021 when you sign up for a game with between 3 and 10 players you’ll get a discount of 10% for everyone in your group. To reserve your spot visit the Vancouver Mysteries Website (and use the promo code just before paying).
Note: Most of the games are recommended for players ages 12 and older. For households with younger children, however, there is Heroes & Villains Family Version that is great for teams that include children ages 8 and up.
Vancouver Easter Activities
The following City of Vancouver Easter activities were cancelled in 2020 but are scheduled to return in 2021.
- Big Bunny Run & Egg Hunt – it was going to take place on Saturday, April 3rd, in 2021. Because of COVID-19, however, it’s now a virtual event running between March 27th and April 25. 2021 rates are between $28 and $35 for adults. Children and youth under the age of 18 cost $20.
- Scrambled Eggs Event at Renfrew – in years without COVID-19, face painting, craft activities, games and an Easter egg hunt take place at Renfrew Park Community Centre at 2929 East 22nd Avenue. In 2021, however, none of the usual activities are happening. Instead, the centre is running a COVID-appropriate event where you get a booklet and then wander around outside looking for and solving Easter-related jokes and riddles. It’s a free event taking place from the Friday until the Monday of April 2nd to 5th.
LOCAL HOTEL DEALS
Wanting to do a staycation in Vancouver sometime between now and the middle of June? As of the beginning of April the website StayVancouverHotels.com is offering Visa gift cards worth between $50 and $125 for reservations at participating downtown Vancouver hotels. Click the above banner ad or see our article about Hotel Visa Gift Card Deals for more information.
The above promotion is valid for stays up until June 15th in 2021. It’s a limited time offer, however, and may end at any time.
As of the early spring of 2021, people should avoid non-essential travel. Consequently, if staying at a hotel, do so only at one close to home (like within your city or health authority region). With all going well with the vaccine rollout, hopefully by May and June restrictions will have eased and people can travel from farther away.
Note: If taking advantage of the current promotion, if booking an overnight stay for later in the spring or early summer, it’s good to know that hotel reservations with the above deal can be cancelled with just 48 hours’ notice, which is a great benefit.
To learn more, see the StayVancouverHotels.com website.
Fraser Valley Easter Activities
The following are Easter activities that are happening in 2021:
- Easter at Maan Farms – the family-friendly farm attraction is hosting a drive-thru safari-style event in 2021. It happens on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of April 2nd to 4th.
- Easter at Tave Farms – the Abbotsford Farm celebrates Easter with a family-friendly event most years, and 2021 is no exception. This year, because of COVID-19, they have a Drive-Thru Easterfest where families can drive around the farm, collect treats and pick up some breakfast or lunch. (NOTE: This event is SOLD OUT.)
- Petey’s Easter Eggstravaganza – a family-friendly drive-thru event at Fantasy Farms in Chilliwack on April 2nd to 4th. Visitors get to see farm animals, search for peclues and get prizes, all from the comfort and safety of their vehicles.
- Easter Drive-Thru Food Truck Festival – outside the Tradex Centre beside the Abbotsford Airport on April 3rd and 4th between 11 am and 6 pm. Admission is free – you just have to pay for your food.
- Petey’s Easter Eggstravaganza – an egg hunt, games, visits with the Easter Bunny and other family-friendly activities happen at Fantasy Farms in Chilliwack all Easter Weekend most years. (Happening on April 2nd, 3rd and 4th in 2021.)
- Kilby Easter Egg Hunt – Easter activities usually take place at Kilby Farm at 215 Kilby Road in Harrison Mills. Activities typically include crafts, face painting and visits with the attraction’s farm animals. (Not likely happening this year, although the attraction does open for the 2021 season on April 1st.)
This Easter, avoid non-essential travel and celebrate in-person just with people from within your bubble!
Sea to Sky Easter Activities
Below is an Easter activity taking place in the Sea to Sky region in 2021.
- Easter at Britannia Mine – the museum up the Sea to Sky Highway at 1 Forbes Way usually offers a couple of sessions of Easter Dino Egg Hunting on the Sunday of the long weekend. That isn’t happening in 2021; instead, the museum is offering COVID-friendly scavenger hunts from April 2nd until the 5th. The attraction also has extra Spring Break activities for kids during the second half of March.
Surrey Easter Activities
Below is an Easter activity in Surrey that likely is happening in 2021.
- Museum of Surrey – children can sign up for a free Easter egg-themed scavenger hunt at the museum. Participants get to take home an Easter craft kit too.
Easter Activities for Adults with or without Children
Whether you’re young or older, the following are activities everyone can enjoy:
- Cherry Blossom Viewing – the blossoms are finally out and there’s a lot to admire over the Easter Weekend. Check out the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival for information on cherry blossom-related events and a map of where to find the best blossoms. (Note: Most events were cancelled in 2020 and in 2021 they are pretty much all virtual.)
- Enjoy the Outdoors – if the weather is good, go for a stroll or cycle along one of Vancouver’s best places to walk, jog or cycle. Or go exploring at one of Vancouver’s best places in parks and nature. Take a picnic, enjoy the blossoms and admire the spring flowers.
Easter just wouldn’t be Easter without Sunday brunch (and unfortunately, due to COVID-19, the only brunches that took place in 2020 were at people’s homes). That appears to be the case again in 2021.
On March 29th, 2021, the government announced that restaurants cannot provide indoor dining services between March 30th and April 19th. That means that if you want restaurant food, you’ll have to book a table outdoors on a patio, get takeout or have your meals delivered.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver’s April Calendar of Events
- Festivals & Events Calendar
- Vancouver Rainy Day Activities
- Lower Mainland Activities for Children