Easter Sunday is on April 21st in 2019. On the Easter Long Weekend there are egg hunts, Easter brunches, a car show and other activities.
Some of our favourites events include the free Golden Easter Celebration at River District Vancouver, Easter at the Cannery in Steveston Village, Easter fun at the Chilliwack Tulip Festival, the Fraser Valley’s Peteys Easter Eggstravaganza and the Eggciting Easter Hop at VanDusen Garden.
EASTER MONDAY 2019
Most Easter-related events take place on Easter Sunday or earlier. A few events are still taking place though on the Easter Monday. In 2019 these include the Chilliwack Tulip Festival and Peteys Easter Eggstravaganza in the Fraser Valley. In Vancouver there is the Stanley Park Easter Train, Easter activities at the Trout Lake Community Centre for little kids, and the Bear Creek Easter Train in Surrey.
Easter in Metro Vancouver
Below you’ll find what typically happens in and around Metro Vancouver including Easter egg hunts and other fun things for children, activities for both adults and families, and recommendations on where to go for your Easter brunch.
Note: Details are subject to change. Check event websites for exact details.
Events in this article include activities in the following locations:
This article also contains information about the following additional topics:
Click on any of the above links to jump to a specific location or topic, or continue reading to learn about Easter activities throughout the Lower Mainland.
In 2019 the Chilliwack Tulip Festival runs from April 10th until May 5th (but possibly longer). On the Easter Long Weekend the Easter Bunny will be making appearances from time to time and there will be face painting and balloon-animal making stations for children.
Vancouver Easter Activities
The following are Easter activities in Vancouver in 2019:
- Easter Vintage Car Rally – a gathering of dozens of vintage vehicles from around 10 am to 12 pm on Sunday, April 21, 2019.
- Eggciting Easter Hop – Easter activities for children at set times between 10 am and 1 pm at VanDusen Garden on April 19, 20 and 21 in 2019. The Easter egg-hunting activities are designed for children ages 0 to 5, but older folk are welcome to watch (but can’t join in the hunt or get a chocolate prize).
- Easter at FlyOver Canada – the multi-dimensional theatre experience offers visits with the Easter Bunny most years on the Easter Long Weekend. In 2019, if you want to meet the Easter Bunny and get a treat, see a show on the Friday, Saturday or Sunday between 11:00 am and 3:00 pm (although exact times may vary slightly.)
- River District Golden Easter Celebration – free Easter activities take place at the River District Neighbourhood Centre at 8683 Kerr Street on Sunday, April 21, 2019. Expect there to be balloons, treats, craft activities and face painting. All are welcome to drop by anytime, but spaces in the event’s Golden Egg Hunt are limited and require advanced registration.
- Family Favourites Movies – The animated film Hop about the Easter Bunny shows for just $2.99 at select Cineplex theatres including at International Village Cinemas at 88 West Pender Street at 11 am on Saturday, April 20, 2019 (rated PG).
- Easter Eggstravaganza at Renfrew – face painting, craft activities, games and an Easter egg hunt from noon until 3 pm on Saturday, April 20, 2019, at Renfrew Park Community Centre at 2929 East 22nd Avenue. The cost is $5 for all activities for children or $2 excluding the egg hunt (and these are the same prices as last year). Accompanying adults are free. Egg hunts take place at 1:30, 2:00 and 2:30 pm, they run for up to about 15 minutes each and pre-registration is required.
- Big Bunny Run & Egg Hunt – on Saturday, April 20, 2019, at Jericho Beach. Young children, kids in strollers and Easter costumes are all welcome. The race costs start at around $35 for both the 5K and 10K runs, $20 for the 1K to 3K run and $30 for the virtual event. Prices go up though as the race day approaches. Included with the cost of registration are bunny ears and a chocolate finisher’s medal.
- Easter Eggs-tacular – an Easter egg hunt, crafts, live rabbits and face painting at the Roundhouse Community Centre in Yaletown on Saturday, April 20, 2019. Activities run from 9:30 to 10:45 am (for kids ages 1 to 3), 11:15 am to 12:30 pm (for ages 1 to 6), 1:00 to 2:15 pm (for ages 4 to 9), and 2:45 to 4:00 pm (again for ages 4 to 9). Cost is $6 and advanced registration is recommended.
- Easter Bash at Broadway Church – a free event with over 20,000 Easter eggs, pony rides, bouncy castles and carnival games from 11:00 am until about 2:00 pm on Saturday, April 20, 2019, at 2700 East Broadway. Admission is free.
- Stanley Park Easter Train – on the Easter Long Weekend from 10 am to 5 pm. Tickets for the train ride are $6 plus GST per person. Other activities for which tickets can be purchased include face painting, Easter egg hunting and meeting the Easter Bunny. 2019 dates are April 18th to the 22nd.
- Easter Bunny Party at TLCC – an Easter egg hunt and opportunity to meet the Easter Bunny at the Trout Lake Community Centre at 3360 Victoria Drive from 10 am until 12 pm. Mikes Critters are also on site. The cost is $5 per child and advanced registration is required (Saturday, April 13, 2019).
- Easter at TLCC – a bouncy castle, crafts and games for young children at the Trout Lake Community Centre from 10 am until 12 pm. There is not usually an Easter Bunny at this event, but the activities are free. Suitable for very young children and their parents. (Monday, April 22, 2019).
Easter Activities in Burnaby
The following are Easter activities in Burnaby in 2019:
- Family Favourites Movies – The animated film Hop about the Easter Bunny shows for just $2.99 at select Cineplex theatres including in Metrotown at 4700 Kingsway at 11:00 am on Saturday, April 20, 2019 (rated PG).
- Breakfast with the Easter Bunny – Confederation Community Centre hosts the Easter Bunny from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm on Saturday, April 13, 2019. Enjoy crafts, snacks and more. Cost is $5 per person.
- Grandparent & Family Easter Egg Hunt – for children ages 1 to 10 on Saturday April 20th at the Bonsor Recreation Centre at 6550 Bonsor Avenue from 10 am until noon. Activities included an egg hunt and craft activities. Cost is $5 with advanced registration.
Fraser Valley Easter Activities
The following are Easter activities in the Fraser Valley in 2019:
- Chilliwack Tulip Festival – Western Canada’s largest flower festival hosts special Easter-related activities on the Long Weekend. On April 19th, 20th, 21st and 22nd the Easter Bunny will be on site from time to time and there will be face painting and balloon animal making for kids.
- Easter at Fort Langley – Easter Scavenger Hunt and Egg Scrambler activities take place at Fort Langley on Sunday, April 21, 2019. The Egg Scrambler activity is for children age 5 and under. The scavenger hunt is for children of all ages.
- Easter Egg Hunt – Easter activities at Kilby Farm at 215 Kilby Road in Harrison Mills from 11:00 am until 3:00 pm on April 20 & 21, 2019. Activities include crafts, face painting and visits with the attraction’s farm animals. The cost is $10 for adults, $9 for seniors, $8 for youth and free for children under 5 years of age.
- Family Favourites Movies – The animated film Hop about the Easter Bunny shows for just $2.99 at select Cineplex theatres including ones in both Abbotsford and Chilliwack at 11 am on Saturday, April 20, 2019 (rated PG).
- Easter Festival at Township 7 – activities at the Langley winery include a small petting zoo, face painting, live entertainment and an egg hunt on the Easter Sunday. The event runs at the following three set times: 10:00 to 11:30 am, 12:00 to 2:00 pm and 2:30 to 4:30pm. Cost is $18.
- Petey’s Easter Eggstravaganza – an egg hunt, games, visits with the Easter Bunny and other family-friendly activities at Fantasy Farms in Chilliwack all Easter Weekend (plus the weekends of April 6-7 and 13-14).
North Shore and Sea to Sky Easter Activities
The following are Easter activities on the North Shore in 2019:
- Easter Egg Hunt at Heywood Park – a free event for children ages 2 to 9 most years at the park at 1633 MacKay Avenue in North Vancouver from 10:30 am until 12:00 pm (or while supplies last) on the Saturday of the Easter weekend. Activities include the egg hunt, face painting, balloons, a bouncy castle and kid-friendly entertainment.
- Easter Bunny Brunch – devour a full pancake breakfast with all the trimmings then hunt for eggs with the Easter Bunny at the North Shore Neighbourhood House from 9:30 to 11 am on Saturday April 13, 2019. Cost is $3 for children and $6 for adults. Pre-registration is required.
- Easter Bunny Hop – enjoy an egg hunt, seasonal crafts and story time with the Easter Bunny at John Braithwaite Community Centre on Saturday, April 13, 2019 from 2:30 to 4:00 pm. Cost is $3 and pre-registration is required.
- Britannia Mine Easter Hunts – the mining museum up the Sea to Sky Highway at 1 Forbes Way offers a couple of sessions of Easter Dino Egg Hunting on the Sunday of the long weekend.
- Sea to Sky Gondola – the attraction high up the mountain above Squamish has craft activities and a complementary Easter egg hunt on the Easter Sunday from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm. For an extra cost it also offers brunch.
Richmond Easter Activities
The following are Easter activities that take place in Richmond in 2019:
- Easter at London Farm – the annual Easter Tea takes place at the historic farm from noon until 5 pm on April 20th and 21st. Cost is $15.
- Easter at the Cannery – at 12138 Fourth Avenue at the Gulf of Georgia Cannery in Steveston Village on the weekend of April 19-21 in 2019. The cost is $4.90 for children ages 2 to 16 years and $3.90 for adults (ages 17+). Activities include salmon egg hunts, Easter crafts, storytelling and face painting.
- Family Favourites Movies – The animated film Hop about the Easter Bunny shows for just $2.99 at select Cineplex theatres on Saturday April 20, 2019, including at SilverCity Riverport at 14211 Entertainment Way at 11:00 am (rated PG).
Surrey Easter Activities
The following are Easter activities in Surrey from 2019:
- Easter at Stewart Farm – free activities at the historic site on Saturday April 20th from 11:00 am until 3:00 pm.
- Easter Skates – a number of Easter-themed ice-skating events took place in Surrey last year including the following (some of which will likely take place again in 2019 too):
- South Surrey Arena – skating with the Easter Bunny at 2199 – 148th Street from 2:00 until 3:30 pm on Saturday, April 13th.
- Surrey Sport & Leisure Complex – at #110-16555 Fraser Highway there’s a family skate from 12:30 pm until 2:00 pm on Sunday, April 14th.
- Easter Bash Swims – Easter bunny visits, egg hunts, crafts and games take place at the following times in 2019:
- Grandview Heights Aquatic Centre – at 16855 24th Avenue from 1:30 until 3:30 pm on Sunday, April 21st.
- Guildford Recreation Centre – at 15105-105th Avenue from 1:30 until 3:30 pm on Sunday, April 21st.
- North Surrey Recreation Centre – at 10275 City Parkway from 1:30 until 3:30 pm on Saturday, April 20th, in 2019.
- South Surrey Indoor Pool – at 14655-17th Avenue from 1:30 until 3:30 pm on Saturday, April 20th.
- Surrey Sport & Leisure Complex – at 16555 Fraser Highway from 1:30 until 3:30 pm on Sunday, April 21st.
- Newton Recreation Centre – at 13730-72nd Avenue from 1:30 until 3:30 pm on Saturday, April 20th, in 2019.
- Bear Creek Easter Train – train rides, egg hunts and visits with the Easter Bunny take place at Bear Creek Park in Surrey from 10 am to 6 pm on the Easter weekend. Cost is around $10 per person and 2019 dates are April 19-22.
- Family Favourites Movies – The animated film Hop about the Easter Bunny shows for just $2.99 at select Cineplex theatres including at Cineplex Cinemas Strawberry Hill at 11 am on Saturday, April 20, 2019 (rated PG).
THE CIRCUS IS COMING TO TOWN!
Mark your calendars! The Royal Canadian Family Circus is in the Lower Mainland in May and June of 2019! Dates for Richmond are May 9th to 20th, for Tsawwassen they are May 24th to 26th, and for Surrey they are May 31st to June 9th.
This is a first-rate circus and highly recommended! We went last year and loved it!
Use promo code VansBestPlaces for 2-for-1 ticket pricing on General Admission! Click Royal Canadian Family Circus for tickets and more information.
Delta & Tsawwassen
The following are Easter activities in the Delta region most years:
- Ladner Easter Parade – a tiny community procession and Easter egg hunt for children in North Delta starting at 1 pm on Sunday April 21, 2019. It begins at the Delta Museum and finishes at Memorial Park.
The following are Easter activities in other parts of the Lower Mainland:
- Easter Extravaganza Event at the Museum – an Easter egg hunt and entertainment at the Port Moody Station Museum at 2734 Murray Street takes place from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm on the Easter Sunday (so on April 21st in 2019). Admission is $5 per person.
- Easter in Queen’s Park – a petting zoo, crafts, face painting and visits with the Easter Bunny at Queen’s Park in New Westminster on Easter Sunday with admission by donation.
- Family Favourites Movies – The animated film Hop about the Easter Bunny shows for just $2.99 at select Cineplex theatres including at the theatre in Coquitlam at 170 Schoolhouse Street at 11 am on Saturday, April 20, 2019 (rated PG).
Easter Activities for Adults with or without Children
Whether you’re young or older, the following are activities everyone can enjoy:
- Cherry Blossom Viewing – the blossoms are finally out and there’s a lot to admire over the Easter Weekend. Check out the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival for information on cherry blossom-related events and a map of where to find the best blossoms. This year the festival is entirely in the month of April!
- Enjoy the Outdoors – if the weather is good, go for a stroll or cycle along one of Vancouver’s best places to walk, jog or cycle. Or go exploring at one of Vancouver’s best places in parks and nature. Take a picnic, enjoy the blossoms and admire the spring flowers.
- Live Entertainment – enjoy some live entertainment in town such as a play or concert at various locations. Check out Vancouver Shows and Entertainment to see what’s on in town.
- Vintage Car Easter Gathering – the Vintage Car Club of Canada’s Vancouver Chapter has its annual Easter touring event on Easter Sunday.
Top Restaurants for Easter Brunch
Easter just wouldn’t be Easter without Sunday brunch. Here are some of Vancouver’s best places to do that. Just remember to book well in advance, as these are some of Vancouver’s most popular restaurants and so fill up fast.
Best Buffet Brunch Venues
Examples of great Easter brunch buffets are listed below. For a more comprehensive list of Vancouver venues in 2019 click Easter Brunch Buffets.
(Note: prices and other details are subject to change.)
- Hotel Vancouver – the Notch 8 Restaurant at Vancouver’s iconic hotel has an Easter Brunch on the holiday Sunday (so on April 21 in 2019). The price last year was $79 per adult and half price for children ages 12 and under. In 2019 it costs the same.
- The Lobby – at the Pinnacle Hotel in North Vancouver near Lonsdale Quay offers a special Easter Sunday buffet. The cost last year was $53 for adults and $26 for children (ages 6 to 12). 2019 prices are $58 for adults, $28 for children and $5 for kids ages 5 and under.
- Ocean’s 999 – the restaurant at the Pan Pacific Hotel at Canada Place has a buffet most years on Easter Sunday from 10:30 am until 2:30 pm. The cost in 2019 is $89 for adults, $85 for seniors and $44.50 for children ages 6 to 12 (which are the same prices as last year).
- Brunch at Grouse Mountain with the Easter Bunny – enjoy brunch on Easter Sunday at Grouse Mountain on the North Shore. The cost last year was $50 for adults, $20 for children ages 5 to 12, and $12 for kids ages 2-4 (all plus taxes and tips). In 2019 the prices are $55, $20 and $12 and the cost of the meal includes the tram ride up with advance reservations.
- Sea to Sky Gondola – the venue offers a simpler brunch than other places, but with one of the world’s finest views (assuming clear skies). Easter Brunch at the venue takes place in 2019 on Sunday, April 21st. Menu items include scrambled eggs, frittatas, smoothie bowls, pastries and other desserts. The cost in 2019, including the ride up the gondola, is $77.98 for adults and $32.28 for children (ages 6-12).
The above restaurants serve buffet-style brunches, but there are also many exceptional places that serve great a la carte menu-style brunches as well. For more ideas on the best places to eat, check out the following:
- BURNABY‘s Best Restaurants
- The City of VANCOUVER‘s Best Bars & Restaurants
- NORTH VANCOUVER‘s Best Bars & Restaurants
- RICHMOND‘s Best Bars & Restaurants
- SURREY‘s Best Restaurants
- WEST VANCOUVER‘s Best Restaurants
Easter Church Services
Contrary to popular belief, Easter isn’t the birthday of the Easter Bunny – it’s a Christian religious holiday marking the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Easter is actually one of the two days of the year when the largest number of people attend church, with the other day being Christmas Eve.
Whether you are Christian, Christian-curious or just plain curious, church services on Easter Sunday (April 21) can be very interesting, and an important traditional part of Canadian culture (although more so in the past).
Every church is different, however, and what appeals to some doesn’t to others. Check out a service with a church denomination you feel comfortable with, or check out a new one just for the experience.
Below are suggestions for some of Vancouver’s most beautiful and prominent churches, but there will be Easter services with well-above average attendance in neighbourhoods throughout the Lower Mainland. Try to find one with a really good choir, and kid-friendly if you have children!
- Anglican: Christ Church Cathedral at 690 Burrard Street in Vancouver. Easter Sunday has a choral service at 10:30 am with the church choir which is exceptional. Also, at 8:00 pm there is a service with Gregorian chant. Click Easter 2019 for details from last year. (Note: Incense is used at the 10:30 service. Also, free parking passes are available via the church’s website for folks attending a service.)
- Catholic: Holy Rosary Cathedral at 646 Richards Street in downtown Vancouver. Celebrate “Solemn Mass” in one of the city’s oldest and most beautiful churches. Trust us – it’s pretty solemn! There are lots of interesting rituals in the services, which aren’t short and maybe not so exciting for kids. Click Easter 2019 for details.
- TIP: If you have allergies, be aware of the incense, in particular at the front of the church and very back (and especially at the Solemn Mass at 11:00 am).
- United Church: St. Andrew’s-Wesley is undergoing seismic upgrades and so is closed until late 2020. All of their traditional Easter events are happening though. Easter Sunday’s main services are at 9:30 am and 11:00 am at the Century Plaza Hotel at 1015 Burrard Street. There is also a Jazz Vespers that same day at 4:00 pm at First Baptist Church at 969 Burrard Street. A Candlelight & Music service is also planned, with music and prayers, at 7:00 pm at St. Paul’s Anglican at 1130 Jervis Street. Click Easter 2019 for more details.
- Baptist Church: First Baptist is located at 969 Burrard Street (across the street from St. Andrew’s Wesley). Their Easter service takes place from 10:00 until 11:30 am. Complimentary parking is available at Nelson Square at 808 Nelson Street from 30 minutes before the service until spaces fill up).
Other more modern church buildings but with large vibrant and charismatic congregations include the following, all of which boast congregations in the thousands (which for Canada in this day and age is rare):
- Broadway Church – a non-denominational evangelical church at 2700 East Broadway in Vancouver, with one of the largest and most technologically-savvy congregations in the Lower Mainland. Easter Sunday services are at 9:00 am (“classic”), 10:30 am (“contemporary”), 12:00 pm (“contemporary”) and 6:00 pm (“emerging”).
- Northview Community Church – a Mennonite church in Abbotsford at 32040 Downes Road. Easter Sunday services are at 7:30, 9:00 and 11:00 am. (Note: The church also has smaller campuses in Mission, Abbotsford and Port Coquitlam. Click Easter 2019 for more details.
- Willingdon Church – a Mennonite Brethren church at 4812 Willingdon Avenue in Burnaby with a 1300-seat sanctuary and a combined average weekend attendance of over 5000. Services are at 8:30, 10:00 and 11:30 am.
In addition to their traditional Easter Sunday services, many churches in the Lower Mainland offer their own Easter egg hunts, sunrise Easter services and other celebratory activities. Check out a congregation in your area.