Outside Metro Vancouver’s core urban areas, other best places include the Fraser Valley, Bowen Island, the Sea to Sky region, Harrison, Whistler and more.
Other Lower Mainland Regions to Explore
There is also lots to see and do outside these main areas, however, including in the following communities in the Lower Mainland:
- Abbotsford – a large agricultural community in the Fraser Valley.
- Bowen Island – a quiet rural island easily accessible by ferry boat from Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver.
- Chilliwack – a large agricultural community outside Metro Vancouver but within the Fraser Valley region.
- Coquitlam – a nice medium-sized city east of Vancouver.
- Cultus Lake – a popular provincial park and lake in the Fraser Valley.
- Fort Langley – a small picturesque town with a national historic site and trail along the river in the Fraser Valley.
- Fraser Valley – an agricultural region between Vancouver and Hope that includes Abbotsford, Mission, Chilliwack and other communities.
- Harrison Hot Springs – an attractive lakeside resort town in the Fraser Valley.
- New Westminster – the original capital city of British Columbia.
- Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge – two small rural communities known for their rural farms and nature.
- Sea to Sky – the highway and region with spectacular views between Vancouver and Squamish leading up to Whistler.
- Tsawwassen/Delta – where you’ll find the BC Ferries terminal to Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
- Whistler – a beautiful resort town with world class ski hills.
- White Rock – a popular seaside resort town close to the Canada-US border.