Outside Metro Vancouver’s core urban areas, other best places include the Fraser Valley, Bowen Island, the Sea to Sky region, Harrison, Whistler and more.
Other Lower Mainland Regions to Explore
There is also a lot to see and do outside these main areas, however, including in the following communities in the Lower Mainland:
- Abbotsford – a large agricultural community in the Fraser Valley.
- Bowen Island – a quiet rural island easily accessible by ferry boat from Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver.
- Chilliwack – a large agricultural community outside Metro Vancouver but within the Fraser Valley region.
- Coquitlam – a nice medium-sized city east of Vancouver.
- Cultus Lake – a popular provincial park and lake in the Fraser Valley.
- Fort Langley – a small picturesque town with a national historic site and trail along the river in the Fraser Valley.
- Fraser Valley – an agricultural region between Vancouver and Hope that includes Abbotsford, Mission, Chilliwack and other communities.
- Harrison Hot Springs – an attractive lakeside resort town in the Fraser Valley.
- Langley – a community made up of two separate municipalities: the City of Langley and the Township of Langley. Both are located between Surrey and Abbotsford.
- Maple Ridge – a community located along the Fraser River between Pitt Meadows (to the west) and Golden Ears Provincial Park (to the north).
- Mission – a fairly rural community just north of the Fraser River from Abbotsford.
- New Westminster – the original capital city of British Columbia.
- Pitt Meadows – a rural community between Coquitlam and Maple Ridge that’s known for its dykes, blueberries and cranberry farms.
- Port Moody – a community between Burnaby and Coquitlam.
- Sea to Sky – the highway and region with spectacular views between Vancouver and Squamish leading up to Whistler.
- Squamish – a small community north of Vancouver which promotes itself as the “Outdoor Recreation Capital of Canada.”
- Tsawwassen/Delta – where you’ll find the BC Ferries terminal to Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
- Whistler – a beautiful resort town with world class ski hills.
- White Rock – a popular seaside resort town close to the Canada-US border.