Spend a full day or more somewhere outside Vancouver sometime. Best places to visit include Victoria, Harrison Hot Springs, Whistler and Bowen Island.
Best Out of Town Day Trips
Looking to spend a full day or more somewhere outside Vancouver? Here are some of the best places to go:
- Victoria – BC’s beautifully British capital city on Vancouver Island; worth spending a few days in if you have the time.
- Harrison Hot Springs – a quiet hot spring resort town in the Fraser Valley.
- Whistler – a world-class ski destination and year-round resort town. (And if travelling to Whistler, consider also visiting other Sea-to-Sky-Highway region attractions along the way including Alice Lake, Shannon Falls, Stawamus Chief and the Britannia Mines.)
- Bowen Island – it’s actually officially part of Metro Vancouver, but it’s a ferry ride away.
- Manning Park – it’s a three-hour drive from Vancouver, halfway to Penticton in the Okanagan. Here you’ll find skiing in the winter and camping and hiking in the summer.
- Sea to Sky Region – there are lots of interesting places to see between West Vancouver and just north of Squamish, and it’s all within just an hour or so of downtown Vancouver. And the views of Howe Sound are stunning!
Places to Visit Within One Day
Here are places within Metro Vancouver where you can spend a full day (but no need to stay overnight, which in some cases isn’t possible):
- Fort Langley – this is a cute little historic town about an hour from downtown Vancouver where you can spend the day at the fort and then a short time exploring the town.
- Grouse Mountain – it’s not so much a day trip as a great place not far from the city where you can spend a whole day, whether skiing in the winter or exploring nature and seeing the shows in the summer.
And here are more best places for day trips within Metro Vancouver where you can go just for the day, but can be nice also to stay for the night.
- Steveston Village – a historic fishing village in Richmond.
- White Rock – a seaside resort, so the best time to visit is in the summer.
How to Get to Day Trip Destinations
Most of the above day trip destinations are best accessed by car, although most are also fairly accessible by public transit. Check Translink for information.
West Coast Sightseeing is a good Vancouver tour bus company that offers day trips to Places like Victoria and Whistler. With them you don’t have to worry about the driving, plus you get valuable commentary along the way.
Victoria is also accessible through the BC Ferries Connector bus line via BC Ferries, or public transit, as well as by the fastest and most fun forms of transportation – Harbour Air Seaplanes and (the even more expensive) Helijet from downtown Vancouver.
Another way to both Whistler and Vancouver is via the Pacific Coach tour bus company.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver Vacations & Staying in Downtown Vancouver
- Camping in the Lower Mainland
- Reasons Why Camping in an RV is Better Than in a Tent
- StayVancouverHotels.com & Vancouver Deals
Vist the website victoriasbestplaces.com to learn about British Columbia’s capital city.
To learn about BC’s most famous ski resort, see our article about Whistler Blackcomb or visit the website WhatToDoInWhistler.ca.