St. Patrick’s Day is on March 17 and all week there are Irish celebrations including Vancouver’s CelticFest, parties at pubs and other Irish events.
Saint Patrick’s Day Week in 2020
In 2020 St. Patrick’s Day is on the Tuesday of the first week of Spring Break, with the rest of the school holidays running from March 16th until the 27th.
Taking place around the same time as the school Spring Break most years, CelticFest is an Irish Festival in Vancouver. In 2020 it has events on February 20th as well as on March 8th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 22nd, 27th and 28th.
See below for details about what to expect during the St. Patrick’s Day season in 2020.
PLAYDOME CARNIVAL AT BC PLACE
It’s not Irish-themed, but it is tons of fun and it does take place starting just a few days after St. Patrick’s Day, and just in time for the school Spring Break holidays!
Playdome is back for another year at BC Place Stadium with more than 45 amusement rides and attractions. The nine-day event runs from Friday, March 20th, until Saturday, March 28th. Click Playdome 2020 for tickets and full details.
2020 Calendar of St. Patrick’s Events
Below is a listing of some of the many events that take place to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day during the week in and around Vancouver in 2020.
Saturday (March 7th, 2020) Events
- Celtic Fest in Surrey – a free St. Patrick’s Day-themed event with Celtic music, a scavenger hunt and other family-friendly activities at the Museum of Surrey at 17710 56a Avenue in Surrey between 1 and 4 pm.
Thursday (March 12th, 2020) Events
- Roedde House Jazz – live music at the Roedde House Museum at 1415 Barclay Street in Vancouver’s West End from 7 until 9 pm. Today’s “Songs for St. Patrick” concert is with William George on vocals and Stephen Smith on piano. Admission is $15 for adults and $12 for students and seniors.
Friday (March 13th, 2020) Events
- St. Patrick’s Day Pub Night – Paddlewheeler Riverboat Tours in New Westminster offers adults ages 19+ a three-hour cruise with Celtic DJ music, Irish-themed food and drink for sale. The trip goes from 7 to 10 pm.
- CelticFest 2020 Ceilidh Mor – a St. Patrick’s Day party and dance at the Hellenic Community Centre at 4500 Arbutus Street in Vancouver. The event features entertainment with the BC Regiment Irish Pipes & Drums, Eire Born Irish Dance Company and the Celtic band Blackthorn. Tickets cost $25 for adults, $20 for students and seniors, and free for children ages 12 and under.
Saturday (March 14th, 2020) Events
- Vancouver Welsh Men’s Choir – a concert by Vancouver’s largest all-male choir at Christ Church Cathedral at 690 Burrard Street. Tickets cost $15-40.
- St. Patrick’s Day 5K Run – a colourfully-green race around Stanley Park.
- St. Patrick’s Day Pub Night – Paddlewheeler Riverboat Tours in New Westminster offers adults ages 19+ a three-hour cruise with Celtic DJ music, Irish-themed food and drinks for sale. The trip goes from 7 to 10 pm.
Sunday (March 15th, 2020) Events
- Songs for St. Patrick – live Irish-themed music at the Roedde House Museum at 1415 Barclay Street (which isn’t far from Robson Street near Broughton). The concert is with Stephen Smith on piano with singing by William George. Admission is between $12 and $15. See our article about the Roedde House Museum for details.
- St. Patrick’s Weekend Party – a kid-friendly party at The Blarney Stone Pub at 216 Carrall Street starting at 10 am and featuring an Irish brunch. This event goes until 3 pm and family-friendly entertainment includes stilts walkers, face painting, Hula Hoop games and Celtic dancing.
Tuesday, (March 17th, 2020) St. Patrick’s Day Events
St. Patrick’s Day takes place on a Tuesday in 2020. On that date the following event takes place:
- Shamrocks and Shenanigans – Irish-themed improv theatre takes place at the Vancouver Theatre Sports Improv Centre on Granville Island at 7:30 pm.
- Vancouver Welsh Men’s Choir – a concert by Vancouver’s largest all-male choir at the ACT Theatre in Maple Ridge. Tickets cost $15-30.
- St. Patrick’s Day Festival – an all-day party at The Blarney Stone Pub starting at 10 am. Entertainment includes Celtic dancers, DJ music and bagpipers until 2 am. People under 19 are allowed in until 5 pm with a guardian.
Saturday (March 21st, 2020) Events
- Saint Patrick’s Day Boat Party – a St. Patrick’s Day party for adults (ages 19+) in the waters of False Creek, English Bay and Vancouver Harbour. If you like music, dancing, beautiful views and partying, this will be a fun place to be. Tickets this year range from about $25 up to $45 (depending on when you buy them) and participants are encouraged to wear green.
Most years there is also CelticFest Vancouver which features numerous events over the week of and weekends just before and after St. Patrick’s Day (i.e., March 17th). In 2019 a scaled-back version of CelticFest took place with a handful of events on March 15th to 17th as well as a number of dates in February. For more information about the festival this year check out CelticFest Vancouver 2020.
Irish Pubs Around Vancouver
Looking for an Irish pub to celebrate the St. Patrick’s season at? Then click Vancouver Irish Pubs for some Celtic suds and fun.
FLYOVER ICELAND AT FLYOVER CANADA
Ever wanted to see Iceland from a birds-eye view? Now you can without even having to travel overseas. FlyOver Iceland shows at Canada Place from February 20th until May 3rd in 2020. See the FlyOver Iceland film or the FlyOver Canada one, or buy a double feature ticket and save 15%.
Click Spring Break in Metro Vancouver for ideas on things to do during the school break with your family, or North Shore Family Activities for adventure ideas and things to do in North and West Vancouver.