St. Patrick’s Day is on March 17 and all week there are Irish celebrations including Vancouver’s CelticFest, parties at pubs and other Irish events.
Saint Patrick’s Day Week in 2019
Taking place around the same time as the school Spring Break most years, CelticFest is an Irish Festival in Vancouver. In 2019 it has events on February 23rd as well as on March 16th to 17th, so actually slightly before Spring Break this time round (which was also the case last year).
In 2019 St. Patrick’s Day is on the Sunday of the weekend that kicks off Spring Break, with the rest of the school holidays running from March 18th until the end of the month.
For the first time in several years there wasn’t a St. Patrick’s Day Parade in 2017, which was unfortunate, especially for young families. There were lots of other great Irish-themed activities taking place however. Again in 2018, and this year too, there is no parade.
See below for details about what to expect during the St. Patrick’s Day season in 2019.
2019 Calendar of St. Patrick’s Events
Below is a listing of some of the many events that take place to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day during the week in and around Vancouver in 2019.
Pre-St. Patrick’s Day Week Events
The following Irish-themed events take place in the week leading up to the St. Patrick’s Day weekend:
- March 9, 2019 (Saturday): Tip a Wee Dram is a fundraising event at the Scottish Cultural Centre that involves lots of whisky-tasting.
- March 12, 2019 – the Jameson Dinner takes place at the Blarney Stone in Gastown and includes a three-course dinner, live music and whiskey tastings. The cost is about $25.
St. Patrick’s Day Weekend Events
The following Irish-themed events take place on the St. Patrick’s Day weekend:
Friday (March 15th) Events
- St. Patrick’s Day Pub Night – Paddlewheeler Riverboat Tours in New Westminster offers adults ages 19+ a three-hour cruise with Celtic DJ music, Irish-themed food and drink for sale. The trip goes from 7 to 10 pm.
- Irish Appreciation Night at the Blarney Stone Pub features complimentary appetizers, Irish whiskey sampling and live entertainment from 6 to 8 pm.
Saturday (March 16th) Events
- CelticFest 2019 Ceilidh Mor – a St. Patrick’s Day party and dance at the Scottish Cultural Centre at 8886 Hudson Street in Vancouver.
- St. Patrick’s Weekend Party – at The Blarney Stone Pub at 216 Carrall Street starting at 11 am and featuring live music, stilts walkers, face painting, Hula Hoop games and Celtic dancing.
- Vancouver Welsh Men’s Choir – a concert by Vancouver’s largest all-male choir at Christ Church Cathedral at 690 Burrard Street. Tickets cost $15-40.
- St. Patrick’s Day 5K Run – a colourfully-green race around Stanley Park.
- St. Patrick’s Celtic Jam – Nigel Tucker and his band jam with anyone who wants to sing and play their instruments at Maple Ridge’s ACT Theatre from 2 to 4 pm.
- St. Patrick’s Day Pub Night – Paddlewheeler Riverboat Tours in New Westminster offers adults ages 19+ a three-hour cruise with Celtic DJ music, Irish-themed food and drinks for sale. The trip goes from 7 to 10 pm.
Sunday (March 17th) Events
- Vancouver Welsh Men’s Choir – a concert by Vancouver’s largest all-male choir at the ACT Theatre in Maple Ridge. Tickets cost $15-30.
- St. Patrick’s Weekend Party – at The Blarney Stone Pub at 216 Carrall Street starting at 10 am and featuring an Irish brunch. Kids are welcome up until 5 pm and family-friendly entertainment includes stilts walkers, face painting, Hula Hoop games and Celtic dancing.
- Shamrocks and Shenanigans – Irish-themed improv theatre takes place at the Vancouver Theatre Sports Improv Centre on Granville Island at 7:30 pm.
- London Heritage Farm – a St. Patrick’s Day Tea is served at the heritage site from noon until 5 pm.
Most years there is also CelticFest Vancouver which features numerous events over the week of and weekends just before and after St. Patrick’s Day (i.e., March 17th). In 2019 a scaled-back version of CelticFest takes place with a handful of events on March 15th to 17th as well as a number of dates in February.
For more information check out CelticFest Vancouver 2019 for a schedule of festival event show times and venues.
Irish Pubs Around Vancouver
Looking for an Irish pub to celebrate the St. Patrick’s season at? Then click Vancouver Irish Pubs for some Celtic suds and fun.
Click Spring Break in Metro Vancouver for ideas on things to do during the school break with your family, or North Shore Family Activities for adventure ideas and things to do in North and West Vancouver.