There’s so much to do in Vancouver for kids at Spring Break including camps and special deals. Here are recommendations for Spring Break in 2019.
This article contains information about the following topics:
Click on any of the above links to jump to a specific topic, or continue reading to learn all about River District Vancouver’s various events.
What to do at Spring Break in Metro Vancouver
Spring Break for most public schools in the Lower Mainland takes place from March 18th until March 29th in 2019.
Below are activities being offered during Spring Break this year. Check them out!
Special Spring Break Programs for Kids
A number of Vancouver attractions offer special programs and deals for children. Here are some examples:
- Junior Zoologist Camp – a special Spring Break camp at the Greater Vancouver Zoo for kids ages 7-12 who love animals. The camp runs for one week and you can sign up for between one and five days. Camps happen March 25th to 29th, in 2019, from 9 am to 4 pm and cost about $50 per child.
- CSI Kids Camp – the Vancouver Police Museum offers camps for children ages 9-12. The cost is $130 for three days. Camps run Wednesday to Friday March 20-22 as well as March 27-29, 2019, from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. Waitlist is being taken.
- Aquarium Camps – Spring Break camps take place at the Vancouver Aquarium for kids ages 4 to 12.
- Cliffhanger Vancouver – climbing wall Spring Break camps run March 18th to 29th at the facility at 670 Industrial Avenue. They are for youth ages 9 to 17 and cost $225 per week.
- Sasamat Outdoor Centre – day camps run at the facility at Sasamat Lake near Port Moody for children ages 6 to 12. Programs run March 18-22 and March 25-29, 2019, and cost $225 per week.
- YMCA Spring Break Day Camps – the YMCA of Greater Vancouver offers spring break day camp programs at multiple venues in 2019.
- Area Rec Centres – community centres and recreational facilities throughout the Lower Mainland offer special camps and other activities for children over Spring Break. Check out a location near you! Just a few examples include camps in the following places:
- Burnaby – try your hand at golf or practice your leadership skills. Burnaby Village also has possibilities throughout the weeks.
- New Westminster – activities include crafts, science, pottery, sports, magic, cooking, First Aid, babysitting course, video game design and other camps.
- Port Moody – the city is offering an Epic Spring Break Camp for youth in grades 6 to 12 on March 18-22 and March 25-29 at a cost of $185 per week.
- Richmond Oval – Spring Break Camps in 2019 run during the weeks of March 18-22 and 25-29 but also April 1-5, 8-12 & 15-18. Camp topics include badminton, baseball, dance, floorball, girls-only, hockey, multi-sport, rowing, skating, soccer, sports leadership and volleyball.
- Surrey – recreation facilities throughout the city are offering day camp programs for children in 2019. Check out their Spring Break Guide for exact details.
- West Vancouver – Spring Break camps at the rec centre include everything from dance to acting, gymnastics, swimming, LEGO, game design, mixed sports, golf, hockey, basketball and more.
- Burnaby – try your hand at golf or practice your leadership skills. Burnaby Village also has possibilities throughout the weeks.
Special Events During Spring Break
There are special Spring Break events in Vancouver, Coquitlam, Burnaby, Richmond, Surrey, North Shore, New Westminster and other parts of town. There are also special Spring Break Movie Deals throughout the Lower Mainland. Check it all out!
Spring Break in Vancouver
- Vancouver Art Gallery – the museum offers hands-on art activities during the afternoons of the week of March 25-29 as well as free admission for children ages 12 and under when accompanied by an adult.
- CelticFest Vancouver – a variety of St. Patrick-themed activities around the week of March 17th including a number of activities that are more for adults.
- FlyOver America – multi-dimensional films at FlyOver Canada. Experience the flight over the United States, the one over Canada, or both.
- Stair Climbing at the Vancouver Lookout – the Urban Climb takes place every Tuesday in March between 4:30 and 6:30 pm. That’s when people can hike up the 633 steps to the top of the landmark attraction. The cost is $5 most years but includes a complimentary beer at the top (for adults ages 19+) and a $5 food coupon for all participants. 2019 dates are March 4, 11, 18 and 25, but prices and extra perks for this year are to be confirmed.
- Vancouver International Auto Show – over 400 vehicles are on display at the Vancouver Convention Centre from March 19th until the 24th.
- Spring Break Movies – Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch, Smallfoot, Racetime, Mighty Pups and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald are all showing on various dates for just $2.99 at the Cineplex Theatre at the International Village Mall in Chinatown.
- PlayDome – amusement rides and midway games at the indoor carnival at BC Place Stadium take place most years towards the end of Spring Break. They won’t in 2019, however, due to a busy spring schedule at BC Place. PlayDome is expected to be back in Vancouver, however, in time for the spring holidays in 2020.
Spring Break in Burnaby
- Spring Break at Burnaby Village – special activities at the outdoor museum from March 18 to 29, 2019, from 11 am to 4:30 pm. Admission is free but carousel rides and guided tours cost extra.
- Burnaby Rec Centres – most years the City of Burnaby’s website lists Spring Break camps taking place at its recreational facilities (as well as at the Burnaby Art Gallery in some years). In 2019 there are a couple of golf camps for children ages 7 to 12 as well as a Leadership Camp for youth ages 11 to 15.
- Spring Break Movies – Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch, Smallfoot, Racetime, Mighty Pups and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald are all showing on various dates for just $2.99 at the Cineplex Metropolis Theatre at 4700 Kingsway in Metrotown.
Spring Break in Coquitlam
- Festival du Bois – BC’s largest francophone festival takes place at Mackin Park on March 22-24 (so right in the middle of Spring Break in 2019). The event includes live music, food, family-friendly activities and opportunities to practice your French (if you want).
- Place des Arts – all sorts of visual and performing arts programs for grades K to 9 take place at the facility at 1120 Brunette Avenue over Spring Break.
- Evergreen Cultural Centre – the Spring Break Festival at this community facility from March 19th to 21st features shows about Sleeping Beauty, Little Red Riding Hood and Romeo & Juliet. There are also arts and performing arts camps during the weeks of March 18th-22, 25th-29th and 30th in 2019.
- Spring Break Movies – Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch, Smallfoot, Racetime, Mighty Pups and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald all show on various dates for just $2.99 at Coquitlam’s Cineplex Cinemas at 170 Schoolhouse Street.
- Festival du Bois – BC’s largest francophone festival. In 2019 it takes place at Mackin Park and runs from Friday, March 22nd, until Sunday, March 24th. There is live music and family-friendly activities all weekend. Children’s entertainers on the Saturday and Sunday include singer-songwriter Will Stroet from CBC Kids.
Spring Break in Richmond
- Carnival at Lansdowne Centre – some years the WCA Carnival takes place in the parking lot of the Richmond mall over the course of the Spring Break. Tickets are usually around $1.25 each, $23 for a book of 20, $45 for a book of 40, and $40 for an all-day wristband. Individual rides cost between 3 and 7 coupons each. Hopefully the carnival will be back in 2019, but details are to be confirmed.
- Richmond Oval – the Olympic recreational facilities in Richmond offer a dozen and a half different sports camps over Spring Break in 2019.
- Spring Break Movies – Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch, Smallfoot, Racetime, Mighty Pups and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald all show on various dates for just $2.99 at Richmond’s SilverCity Riverport Cinemas at 14211 Entertainment Way.
- Gulf of Georgia Cannery – extra activities are offered at the historic site from March 16th to 30th. In 2019 there is a mystery theme where visitors get a detective kit and work together to uncover what happened to the missing fortune! Free admission for children and youth ages 17 and under accompanied by a paying adult.
Spring Break in Surrey
- Spring Break Camps – rec centres throughout the Lower Mainland offer special Spring Break day camps for kids. The City of Surrey lists them all conveniently on one convenient site. Check it out!
- Note: In 2019 the City of Surrey is offering a Family Fun Pass where the whole family can enjoy access to recreational facilities for an extra low price. The passes are valid from March 16th to March 31st and cost between $5.75 and $23 per person depending on one’s age.
- Spring Break Movies – Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch, Smallfoot, Racetime, Mighty Pups and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald all show on various dates for just $2.99 at Surrey’s Strawberry Hill Cinemas at 12161-72nd Avenue. Also, Aquaman, Bumblebee, Smallfoot, Spider-Man and The Kid Who Would Be King show for just $3.00 at Landmark Cinemas at 15051-101st Avenue in Surrey Guilford.
Spring Break on the North Shore
- Persian New Year Fire Festival – live music and fire jumping opportunities take place at West Vancouver’s Ambleside Park on the evening of Tuesday, March 19th.
- West Van Camps – the West Vancouver Recreation centre offers dozens of Spring Break camps including programs involving acting, LEGO, science and public speaking.
- Maplewood Farm & Maplewood House – the North Vancouver Community Arts Council offers a number of Spring Break arts camps at the North Shore’s favourite hobby farm.
- Pool & Play Passes – North Vancouver recreation centres offer special 2-and-a-half-week swim, skate and open gym access for children over the course of Spring Break. Passes cost just $5.25 and are good from March 15th to 31st, 2019.
- West Van Wet & Wild Passes – West Vancouver Rec offers a special pass for $16 that’s good for 16 days swimming, skating and a few other activities. Passes are good for children ages 3 to 12 between March 16th and the 31st in 2019. (Note: West Van Rec doesn’t seem to advertise the deal on their website, but they have been promoting it on Twitter and Facebook.)
- Spring Break Movies – Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch, Smallfoot, Racetime, Mighty Pups and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald all show on various dates for just $2.99 at North Vancouver’s Cineplex Park & Tilford at 200-333 Brooksbank Avenue.
Spring Break in New Westminster
- New West Community Centres – the City of New Westminster has a brochure about Spring Break activities happening at various locations. Check it out!
- Spring Break Movies – Aquaman, Bumblebee, Smallfoot, Spider-Man and The Kid Who Would Be King all show on various dates for just $3 at Landmark Cinemas at 390-800 Carnarvon Street.
Spring Break in Other Parts of Town
- Fort Langley – special activities at the fort run from March 16 to 31 in 2019. Admission is $7.80 for adults, $6.55 for seniors and free for youth ages 17 and under.
- Britannia Mine – the mining museum up towards Squamish offers special Spring Break activities suitable for kids ages 10+ and their families. Children can also enjoy a family-friendly scavenger hunt, crafts and other activities.
- Sea to Sky Gondola – the attraction near Squamish offers free admission to children ages 12 and under during Spring Break most years, and 2019 is no exception. You just have to remember to mention the Secret Spring Break Deal at the ticket booth to get your free pass.
- See below for kid-friendly movies showing at various venues over Spring Break.
Cheap Kids’ Movies at Spring Break
- Spring Break Movies
- $2.99 movies at select Cineplex theatres on Saturday mornings. Monday to Friday mornings during the two weeks of Spring Break The Grinch, Mighty Pups, Smallfoot and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald also show at select Cineplex theatres for just $2.99.
- Spider-Man, Aquaman, Bumblebee, The Kid Who Would Be King and Smallfoot show at Landmark Cinemas in New Westminster and Surrey Guilford for $3 each on weekdays during Spring Break.
- Port Moody’s Inlet Theatre at 100 Newport Drive also features a few movies over the spring school holidays. They are all free and run from 2 until about 4 pm. In 2019 Christopher Robin is on Friday, March 22nd. Boss Baby shows on Wednesday, March 27th. Trolls shows on Friday, March 29th.
Free Activities in Vancouver at Spring Break
Check out the top free places for kids for great Spring Break activities that won’t cost anything (except maybe for parking and the transportation to get there). They include parks, places to ride bikes and other great outdoor activities.
Other Things to Do with Kids in Vancouver in March
Whether it’s Spring Break or not, there are plenty of great things to do with children in Vancouver during the month of March. Check out Vancouver’s Best Places for Children for a list of the top places to take children any time of the year. Indoor attractions will be especially popular if the weather is rainy, and Vancouver’s many beautiful parks will be perfect for a visit if the weather is good.
For more March things to do in general, check out Vancouver’s Best Places’ March Calendar of Events and Activities.
For more ideas on things to do during Spring Break, check out the following:
- Top Free Things to do with Children in the Lower Mainland
- Spring Family Activities on the North Shore