There is usually so much to do in Vancouver for kids during the school Spring Break holidays. There are camps, special deals at attractions and other fun stuff.
Attractions with special activities that are open during Spring Break in 2023 include the Fraser River Discovery Centre and Burnaby Village Museum, among others. There are outdoor adventure games with Vancouver Mysteries which are great for families. The ropes courses at WildPlay in Maple Ridge are open from Thursdays to Mondays during the holidays. Also in town in 2023 is the Marvel Avengers S.T.A.T.I.O.N. in Burnaby and SYNCRA City in Vancouver, and Festival du Bois is on the weekend of March 24th to 26th.
This article contains information about the following topics:
Vancouver Events | Burnaby Events | Coquitlam Events | Richmond Events | Surrey Events | White Rock Events | North Shore Events | Maple Ridge Events | New Westminster Events | Fraser Valley Events | Sea to Sky Region Events | Special Programs
Click on any of the above links to jump to a specific topic, or continue reading to learn all about Vancouver’s various Spring Break events and activities.
What to do at Spring Break in Metro Vancouver
Spring Break for most public schools in the Lower Mainland takes place from March 13th until March 24th in 2023.
Below are events and activities scheduled to happen in 2023, as well as events and activities that have happened in previous years. As you’ll see, there are lots of things to do.
Spring Break in Vancouver
Below is a list of events that happen during the Spring Break holidays in the City of Vancouver in 2023. Further below are activities that happen in other parts of the Lower Mainland.
Events Happening in 2023
- Shamrock ‘N Race – St. Patrick’s Day-themed running races happen at Burnaby Lake Park on the Sunday before March 17th (so it happens at the very start of the Spring Break school holidays in 2023).
- Shen Yun Chinese Theatre – the New York-based Chinese performing arts company returns to the Queen Elizabeth Theatre from March 21st to 26th in 2023.
- Vancouver Mysteries – outdoor adventure games happen in downtown Vancouver. There is a detective game, a secret agent game and a superhero-themed one. With the super hero game, Heroes & Villains, there is a version that’s good for adults and youth ages 12 and older. They also have a family-friendly version for kids ages 6 and older to play with adults. For details about the company’s Spring Break games see the vancouvermysteries.com website. Also, be sure to use the promo code BESTPLACES20 to save 20% on games, but only on games between March 10th and 26th.
- FlyOver Canada – the attraction usually has a special feature show around Spring Break. In 2023 the film is Hawaii from Above and it runs from February 16th to April 23rd.
- SYNCRA City – an immersive electronic dance music (EDM) and multimedia art experience in Vancouver.
Other Activities in the City of Vancouver
- Spring Break Movies – child-friendly films show for just $2.99 on various mornings during Spring Break at several theatres in the Lower Mainland.
- CelticFest Vancouver – a variety of St. Patrick-themed activities take place around the week of March 17th (including a number of activities that are more for adults). CelticFest runs from March 11th to 18th in 2023.
- VanDusen Garden – Vancouver’s famous botanical gardens offer Spring Break day camps for children on weekdays during the school holidays. Also, separate from the camps, kids ages 12 and under can get free admission to the gardens when accompanied by a paying adult between March 11th and the 26th.
Vancouver Activities in Previous Years
The following two events have happened in Vancouver in years before COVID-19. They didn’t happen in 2022, however, and are unlikely to return in 2023. Hopefully they take place again in the future.
- Playdome – an indoor carnival with amusement rides and midway games at BC Place Stadium. In years when it does take place, this is without a question a “best place to be” for children and youth, especially on rainy days!
- Stair Climbing at the Vancouver Lookout – the Urban Climb usually takes place on Tuesday afternoons in March. At the event people can hike up the 633 steps to the top of the landmark attraction. The cost is typically around $5 but includes a complimentary beer at the top (for adults ages 19+) and a $5 food coupon for all participants.
One event that normally happens during the school Spring Break, but didn’t in 2022, is the Vancouver International Auto Show. Unfortunately, it’s not happening in 2023 either.
Spring Break in Burnaby
- Big Jungle Run – a family-friendly running race at Burnaby Lake Park. In 2023 the run happens on March 25th.
- Spring Break at Burnaby Village – special activities take place at the outdoor museum during Spring Break in 2023. They run from March 13th until March 24th between 11:00 am and 4:30 pm. Various activities take place on different days including butter making, loom weaving, games and other fun and interesting things. Admission is free.
- Burnaby Rec Centres – the City of Burnaby has Spring Break camps that take place at its recreational facilities most years (as well as at the Burnaby Art Gallery).
- Spring Break Movies – a number of child-friendly films show for just $2.99 on various mornings during Spring Break at the Cineplex Metropolis Theatre in Metrotown. Options in 2022 included Space Jam A New Legacy, 100% WOLF, Peter Rabbit 2, and The Boss Baby: Family Business. Options in 2023 are to be confirmed.
- Marvel Avengers S.T.A.T.I.O.N. – in 2023 there is an exhibition about Marvel superheroes at The Amazing Brentwood mall in Burnaby that’s open throughout Spring Break.
Spring Break in Coquitlam
- Festival du Bois – BC’s biggest francophone festival happens at Mackin Park on March 24th to 26th. It features live entertainment, food and family-friendly activities. It’s also a great place to practice your French (but it’s also a great cultural event if you can only speak English).
- Place des Arts – all sorts of visual and performing arts programs for grades K to 9 take place at the facility over Spring Break most years. In 2023 there are multiple camps running from March 13th to 17th and from March 20th to 24th. To learn more see the Place des Arts website.
- Evergreen Cultural Centre – the Spring Break Festival takes place from March 14th to 16th in 2023 and features Peter Pan and Beauty & the Beast.
- Spring Break Movies – a number of child-friendly films show for just $2.99 on various mornings during Spring Break at Coquitlam’s Cineplex Cinemas at 170 Schoolhouse Street. Options in 2022 included Space Jam A New Legacy, 100% WOLF, Peter Rabbit 2, and The Boss Baby: Family Business. 2023 details are to be confirmed.
Spring Break in Richmond
- Richmond Oval – the Olympic recreational facilities in Richmond usually offer a number of different sports camps over Spring Break. They are all happening in 2023.
- Gulf of Georgia Cannery – extra activities are offered at the historic site during Spring Break most years. Normally there’s a mystery theme where visitors get a detective kit and have to find clues to solve a mystery. 2023 details are to be confirmed.
- Spring Break Movies – a number of child-friendly films show for just $2.99 on various mornings during Spring Break at Richmond’s SilverCity Riverport Cinemas. 2022 options included Space Jam A New Legacy, 100% WOLF, Peter Rabbit 2, and The Boss Baby: Family Business. 2023 options are to be confirmed.
Spring Break in Surrey
- Spring Break Camps – rec centres throughout Surrey offer special Spring Break day camps for kids.
- Note: The City of Surrey also offers a Family Fun Pass where the whole family can enjoy access to recreational facilities for an extra low price. The passes are usually valid for the second half of March and cost between around $7 and $25 per person depending on one’s age. 2023 details are to be confirmed.
- Spring Break Movies – a number of child-friendly films show for just $2.99 on various mornings during Spring Break at Surrey’s Strawberry Hill Cinemas. Options in 2022 included Space Jam A New Legacy, 100% WOLF, Peter Rabbit 2, and The Boss Baby: Family Business. Featured movies in 2023 are to be confirmed.
Spring Break in White Rock
- White Rock Spring Break Camps – the City of White Rock hosts various camps for kids over Spring Break. There are sports camps, creative camps and more in 2023.
Spring Break on the North Shore
- Skating at the Shipyards – free ice skating takes place at Shipyard Commons in winter and it usually continues until the end of February. Last year though the City of North Vancouver extended the season until late March and this is the case again in 2023. The final day of the season this year is March 26th (which is the last day of the school Spring Break holidays).
- West Van Spring Break Camps – the West Vancouver Recreation Centre usually offers Spring Break camps including programs like dance, drawing, sports and other topics.
- North Van Arts Camps – the North Vancouver Community Arts Council offers both nature and performing arts-themed Spring Break camps most years. In 2023 Camp Creative happens in both the first and second week of Spring Break.
- Persian New Year Fire Festival – live music and fire jumping opportunities usually take place at West Vancouver’s Ambleside Park on a weekday evening in mid-March. The event likely happens on March 14th in 2023. Exact details, however, are to be confirmed.
The following activities have also happened in past years.
- Pool & Play Passes – North Vancouver recreation centres offered special 2-and-a-half-week swim, skate and open gym access for children over the course of Spring Break in previous years. Passes cost just $5 or so and are good for the second half of the month of March. 2023 details are to be confirmed.
- West Van Wet & Wild Passes – West Vancouver Rec often offered a special discounted pass for swimming, skating and other activities over the school holidays in the past. (Note: West Van Rec doesn’t seem to advertise the deal on their website some years, but instead promote it on Twitter and Facebook.) 2023 details are to be confirmed.
Spring Break in Maple Ridge
- City of Maple Ridge Programs – as part of the city’s recreational activity guides, various camps involving art, the outdoors and more are offered.
- ACT Arts Centre – a variety of half and full-day Spring Break camps are offered. Prices vary and topics include dancing and fine arts.
- Wild & Immersive Programs – different camps are offered for kids between 5 and 12 years old. The camps involve exploring and learning about nature through fun activities in Maple Ridge.
- WildPlay Element Park – an outdoor family-friendly adventure park with ropes courses and ziplines. In 2023 it’s open during Spring Break between 10 am and 6 pm every day of the week except for Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Spring Break in New Westminster
- Fraser River Discovery Centre – the child-friendly museum is open daily during Spring Break. In 2023 families can drop in for Spring Discovery Days daily between March 11th and the 26th. There are self-guided activities throughout the facility plus a facilitated activity daily between 10:00 am and noon (with a different activity each week). There is also story time every day between 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm.
- New West Community Centres – the City of New Westminster offers Spring Break activities at various locations. Things to do include drop-in aquatics, Spring Break day camps and more.
Spring Break in the Fraser Valley
- Maan Farms – the Barnyard Adventureland at the family-friendly farm in Abbotsford is typically open for Spring Break in March. That being said, it looked like it was closed in 2022. Hopefully the activities will be available for the school holidays in March 2023.
Spring Break in the Sea to Sky Region
- Britannia Mine Museum – the same as it did last year, the historic mine and museum offers educational “Mini Mud Monsters” drop-in sessions on select days between March 11th and 26th in 2023.
Special Spring Break Programs for Kids
A number of Vancouver attractions offer special programs and deals for children. Below are some examples of things that usually happen around Spring Break.
- Sasamat Outdoor Centre – day camps run most years at the facility at Sasamat Lake near Port Moody for children ages 6 to 12. They cost $315 per one-week session in 2023.
- Junior Zoologist Camp – a special Spring Break camp often happens at the Greater Vancouver Zoo for kids ages 7 to 12. The camp ran in both weeks of Spring Break in 2022 and registration cost $300 for each five-day period. 2023 details are to be confirmed.
- Cliffhanger Vancouver (Now Hive Heights) – climbing wall Spring Break camps ran at the facility at 670 Industrial Avenue. They cost about $400 plus GST per week in 2022. The camps were for youth ages 6 to 8 and 9 to 12. Hopefully they return in 2023.
Rec Centre Activities
- Area Rec Centres – community centres throughout the Lower Mainland offer special camps and other activities for children over Spring Break most years. Check out a location near you!
- Burnaby – area rec centres have activities throughout the two weeks.
- Maple Ridge – a variety of outdoor activities and camps run most years. Topics include art, nature, leadership and more.
- New Westminster – activities in a typical year include crafts, science, pottery, sports, cartooning, magic, cooking, babysitting and other topics.
- Port Moody – the city offers Spring Break camps for youth that feature outdoor games, creative exercises and more.
- Richmond Oval – camp topics usually include badminton, floorball, climbing, and more.
- Surrey – recreation facilities offer performing arts, sports, and themed camps.
- West Vancouver – camps offered in past years have included golf, gymnastics, skating, acting and more.
Free Activities in Vancouver at Spring Break
Check out the Top Free Places for Kids for great Spring Break activities that won’t cost anything (except maybe for parking and the transportation to get there). They include parks, places to ride bikes and other great outdoor activities.
Other Things to Do with Kids in Vancouver in March
Whether it’s Spring Break or not, there are plenty of great things to do with children in Vancouver during the month of March. Check out Vancouver’s Best Places for Children for a list of the top places to take children any time of the year. Indoor Activities will be especially popular if the weather is rainy, and Vancouver’s many beautiful Parks and Places in Nature will be perfect for a visit if the weather is good.
For more March things to do in general, check out Vancouver’s Best Places’ March Calendar of Events and Activities.
For more ideas on things to do during Spring Break, check out the following:
- Top Free Things to do with Children in the Lower Mainland
- Spring Family Activities on the North Shore
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver on a Budget
- Lower Mainland Places for Children
- Educational Places
- Places for History and Culture
- Indoor Activities
- Vancouver Festivals and Events