Vancouver is home to lots of great pubs, bars and restaurants, including a number of fantastic Irish ones. All make great places to celebrate St. Patrick’s!
DINE-IN SERVICE RESUMES
Between the end of March and late May in 2021, pubs and restaurants in the Lower Mainland were unable to provide dine-in service. This was because of COVID-19 and government attempts at controlling its spread.
However, as of new regulations announced on May 25th, BC restaurants can offer dine-in service to groups of up to six people. Larger groups are not permitted, though that may change later in the summer if all goes well.
Irish Pubs Around Vancouver
Looking for a place to enjoy a pint of Guinness or Irish lager? Want to celebrate St. Paddy’s with some Irish music and crowds of happy people? Then check out the following best pubs for having Irish fun.
- The Irish Heather – it used to be one of the best Gastown pubs, and a gastropub at that, which means slightly higher-end beer, food and prices. (Note: This pub closed its Gastown location in the spring of 2021 and moved to Chinatown. The new address is 246 East Georgia Street.)
- Johnnie Foxs Irish Snug – this place is one of Vancouver’s most popular and highly-rated pubs. Expect lots of live music throughout the St. Patrick’s Day week (although not so much in years with COVID-19). The pub used to be located at 1033 Granville Street. It moved though to 1601 Main Street in the summer of 2021.
- The Wolf and Hound – a popular neighbourhood pub at 3617 West Broadway, in the Kitsilano neighbourhood of Vancouver, with live music on St. Patrick’s Day as well as other days of the year.
- Mahony & Sons – a great pub overlooking the water at the Vancouver Convention Centre, as well as another location by False Creek at 601 Stamps Landing. For St. Patrick’s they usually have special live bands on the weekends (although maybe not in 2021).
- The Blarney Stone – a nice pub with a great venue at 216 Carrall Street in Gastown that becomes well above average at St. Patrick’s time.
- Craft Beer Market – at the Salt Building (85 West 1st Avenue) near the Olympic Village in False Creek. Okay, so it’s not an Irish Pub, but it’s a nice one, and a big one, and it’s always a festive place to celebrate.
Irish Pubs Elsewhere in Metro Vancouver
In addition to the above pubs in the City of Vancouver, there are other places to get Irish cheer and beer. Below are places in Surrey and New Westminster.
- Dublin Crossing Irish Pub – an attractively designed pub and restaurant at 18789 Fraser Highway in Surrey.
- Kelly O’Bryan’s – an Irish-themed pub and restaurant at 800 Columbia Street (so in the heart of the old town and not far from the waterfront). Kelly O’Bryan’s is actually the name of the restaurant and Carlos O’Bryan’s is the name of the pub. They are in the old train station building.
For other best places to eat and drink in the Lower Mainland, check out the following:
- BURNABY‘s Best Restaurants
- The City of VANCOUVER‘s Best Bars & Restaurants
- NORTH VANCOUVER‘s Best Bars & Restaurants
- RICHMOND‘s Best Bars & Restaurants
- SURREY‘s Best Restaurants
- WEST VANCOUVER‘s Best Restaurants