The Terry Fox Run is a fundraising event for cancer research in mid-September at various venues in the Lower Mainland including Vancouver’s Stanley Park.
Last year most runs happened on Sunday, September 15th. In 2020 they’ll take place on Sunday, September 20th.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Terry Fox Run is set to be held virtually on September 20th, 2020. Participants are to raise funds by running, walking or cycling wherever they wish.
To register for the event and to access the Terry Fox App, visit the Terry Fox website.
Terry Fox Run Times and Locations
In 2019 Terry Fox Runs took place at the following locations and times:
- Abbotsford: 9 am at Tradex
- Agassiz-Harrison: 10 am at the Cheam Retirement Village
- Burnaby: 9 am at Swangard Stadium
- Chilliwack: 9:30 am at Landing Sports Centre
- Coquitlam: 10 am at Mundy Park
- Delta/Tsawwassen: one at 10 am at Sungod Arena and one at 10 am in South Delta Recreation Centre
- Langley: one at 9 am in Walnut Grove and one at 10 am at Douglas Crescent
- Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows: 10 am at Pitt Meadows Spirit Centre
- Mission: 9 am at Fraser River Heritage Park
- New Westminster: 10 am at the Quay/River Market
- North Vancouver: 10 am at Inter River Park
- Port Moody: 10 am at Rocky Point Park
- Richmond: 10 am at Garry Point Park
- Squamish: 10 am at Brennan Park Recreation Centre
- Surrey: at various times and locations including in Cloverdale, Fraser Heights in North Surrey and White Rock in South Surrey.
- Vancouver: 10 am starting by Stanley Park’s Second Beach
- West Vancouver: 9 am at Dundarave
- Whistler: 11 am at the Four Seasons Resort
Note: Run times for 2020 are subject to change as the run is virtual.
Terry Fox Runs take place in other communities as well. Click Run Locations for more details.
Stanley Park Terry Fox Run
The main Terry Fox Run in Vancouver takes place at Stanley Park. At this venue thousands of people turn out to watch, cheer, walk or run. Registration starts at 8:00 am, the 10 km run begins at 10:00 am and the shorter (~3 km) Lost Lagoon Loop run sets off at 10:15.
The Terry Fox Run at Stanley Park includes a pancake breakfast, Kids Run and live music. Dogs are welcome and the run is also suitable for people with bicycles, rollerblades, wheelchairs and strollers. The event starts at Ceperly Park which is the grassy area near Second Beach in Stanley Park.
Note: All run times and details are subject to change. See our article about the Stanley Park Terry Fox Run for more details.
Terry Fox Run in North Vancouver
The event at Stanley Park is just one of many similar runs that take place in communities across the Lower Mainland. A run on the North Shore takes place at Inter River Park. It’s hosted by the Rotary Club of North Vancouver. In 2019 it occurred on Sunday, September 15th. Registration began at 9:00 am and the running started at 10:00. 2020 details will be similar although the date will be September 20th (so a week later).
Click North Vancouver Terry Fox Run for more details.
For other events happening this same month, see Vancouver’s September Calendar.
Note: Terry Fox statue in this article are by artist Doug Coupland and it can be found outside BC Place in downtown Vancouver.