Christmas at Hycroft is a fundraising craft fair at Vancouver’s University Women’s Club in November featuring artisan market vendors in a heritage building.
In 2018 the event runs from November 15th to 18th.
Christmas at Hycroft
If you like beautifully decorated heritage buildings and higher-end Christmas craft and artisan markets, then you’ll love Christmas at Hycroft.
Location and Cost
Christmas at Hycroft takes place at 1489 McRae Avenue in Shaughnessy – one of Vancouver’s fanciest neighbourhoods – and the event is one of the Lower Mainland’s most upscale Christmas markets.
Admission is free for children and $15 for folk age 13+ with proceeds going to the Hycroft Heritage Preservation Foundation. Tickets can be purchased at the event and valet parking is available for an additional $10.
Market Dates and Times
In 2018 Christmas at Hycroft happens from November 15th to 18th. It runs from 11 am to 9 pm on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and from 11 am to 6 pm on the Sunday.
Of interest to families with young children, Santa Claus is on site most years, and including 2018, from 3 to 5 pm on the Thursday and Friday and from 1 to 4 pm each day on the weekend.
About the Christmas Market
Christmas at Hycroft is an upscale Christmas market event featuring fine artisan products. There are gourmet treats and baked goods, lots of jewellery, handmade clothing, fancy hats and all sorts of interesting items for sale. There is also live entertainment at different times each day, refreshments served in a tea room area, and usually a silent auction on the top floor.
Do you like markets and wonder what a beautiful Edwardian mansion looks like all decorated for Christmas? Then Christmas at Hycroft is a good place to visit. It’s not inexpensive, but it’s a fundraising event, so go and have fun!
Christmas Market Entertainment
In addition to dozens of vendors, Christmas at Hycroft also features live entertainment. Regular performers most years include the Hycroft Singers, crooner Bobby Bacchus, the Vancouver Bach Choir’s Toccata and Chorales singers, the Langley Ukulele Ensemble, Beauty Shop Dolls and various other groups.
Most performances take place in the Drawing Room, but some also outside in the Courtyard.
2018 Hycroft Entertainment Schedule
For a list of who’s performing in 2018 and when, see below. (Note: times, locations and other details are subject to change.)
Thursday, November 16th, 2018
- 11:00 am – Opening Ceremony with Piper Alan Walters in the Courtyard.
- 11:00 am to 1:00 pm – pianist Eileen Padget plays in the Drawing Room.
- 1:15 pm – piper Alan Walters performs again in the Drawing Room.
- 2:00 pm – the Hycroft Singers entertain in the Drawing Room.
- 3:00 to 5:00 pm – harpist Colette Gariepy plays in the Drawing Room.
- 7:30 pm – singer Bobby Bacchus performs in the Drawing Room.
Friday, November 17th, 2018
- 11:00 am to 1:00 pm – pianist Jocelyn Pritchard plays the piano in the Drawing Room.
- 11:00 am to 1:00 pm – the Kringle Singers entertain in various locations throughout the mansion.
- 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm – pianist Hellen Hall plays the piano in the Drawing Room.
- 3:00 to 5:00 pm – Kevin Zakresky performs a ‘Sudden Instant Christmas Carol Choir Concert’ that’s suitable for young children.
- 5:00 to 6:30 pm – pianist Lorna Yeates plays in the Drawing Room.
- 6:30 pm – the Hycroft Singers perform in the Drawing Room.
- 7:45 pm – the Beauty Shop Dolls entertain in the Drawing Room.
Saturday, November 18th, 2018
- 11:00 am to 12:30 pm – the Capilano Brass Quintet plays everything from Pop to Jazz in the Drawing Room.
- 12:30 pm – the Langley Ukulele Ensemble performs in the Courtyard.
- 2:00 pm – the Robert Malcolm Memorial Pipe Band plays in the Courtyard.
- 1:00 to 3:00 pm – Michael Molnar entertains on the piano in the Drawing Room.
- 3:15 pm – Heliotrope performs in the Drawing Room.
- 6:00 to 9:00 pm – the Lesismore Trio plays Jazz and Blues in the Drawing Room.
Sunday, November 19th, 2018
- 11:15 am – members of the Vancouver Bach Choir’s Toccata Children’s Choir sing in the Courtyard.
- 11:45 am to 2:00 pm – Erin Hope-Goldsmith plays the piano in the Drawing Room.
- 11:00 am & 12:00 pm – pianist Nadine Johnson entertains in the Drawing Room.
- 12:00 pm – the Vancouver Bach Toccata Choir sings in the Courtyard.
- 2:00 pm – the Vancouver Bach Chorales children’s choir performs in the Drawing Room.
- 2:30 pm – the Hycroft Singers entertain in the Drawing Room.
- 3:00 to 5:00 pm – Rosemary Mallory performs in the Drawing Room.
About Hycroft House
The Hycroft Clubhouse is a beautiful Edwardian manor normally closed to the public, although it can be rented out for private functions. It’s almost worth paying admission and going to the event just to see the building.
At Christmas at Hycroft you can wander around all three floors, admire the elegant rooms, and browse at the vendor stalls scattered throughout the building.
Completed in 1911 as the residence for Alexander Duncan McRae, a prominent businessman and politician, Hycroft House today is home to the University Women’s Club of Vancouver.
TIP: Of special interest to TV fans, Hycroft House has been used in a number of movie sets and television shows including the American-Canadian drama When Calls the Heart. In that particular show the manor is the home of teacher Elizabeth Thatcher’s wealthy parents.
Accessibility Note: As Christmas at Hycroft is in a three-story heritage building, the venue is not wheelchair or stroller accessible.
For more information on the event see the official Christmas at Hycroft website.
For details on other seasonal markets and craft fairs, check out Vancouver’s Best Christmas Craft Fairs (of which Christmas at Hycroft should win first prize for its venue).