Surrey’s Party for the Planet is Metro Vancouver’s largest Earth Day event. It’s free and in 2018 it includes a live concert with the Sam Roberts Band.
Happening in 2018 on Saturday, April 14, the big event takes place TODAY! Don’t miss it!
Surrey Earth Day Celebrations
At Party for the Planet there is a tree and plant sale and other vendor stalls, crafts for children, free concerts and many ways to have fun while celebrating planet earth.
Party for the Planet is an exceptional event for young families, with kids’ concerts as well as entertainment for adults.
It’s a fairly big event and the largest Earth Day celebrations in the Lower Mainland. In recent years up to about 20,000 people attend over the course of the day.
When and Where
In 2018 Earth Day is officially on Sunday, April 22, but the Party for the Planet event happens a week earlier, on Saturday, April 14, from 10 am until 6 pm.
The event takes place in the Plaza outside Surrey City Hall at 13450-104th Avenue.
In 2017 the Party for the Planet took place at the same venue on Saturday, April 22nd, so on the actual day and weekend of Earth Day. In 2018, however, the April 14th date is actually a week before Earth Day.
Holding Party for the Planet a week early this year was likely done to avoid the big Earth Day event taking place on the same day as Surrey’s other major festival – the Surrey Vaisakhi Parade – which is the city’s largest event of the year and attracts as many as 300,000 people!
What to Expect at the Party
At Party for the Planet there are stalls selling things and promoting different community organizations and services. There are also live shows taking place throughout the day in different locations.
Scheduled performances in 2018 include Bobs & Lolo for children and young families, as well as various artists for adults, plus lots more. Also in 2018, the headliner band for the event is Sam Roberts.
Most years exhibits and displays at the Party for the Planet event include a Raptor Ridge Birds of Prey exhibit, a climbing wall and a BC Lions booth where you can get player autographs. There are also street performers, science shows, road hockey games and more.
One of the highlights of the event in past years has been the acrobatic group Blink Acro on their trampoline. Their stunts are amazing and hopefully they’ll be back in 2018, although likely not!
Party for the Planet is a great family-friendly event, and it’s FREE.
Party for the Planet Schedule
Performers in 2018 include Sam Roberts, the Star Captains, the Colin Bullock Duo, The Freshest, Bobs & Lolo, Rockin’ Robin and the Smile Band. Times and details are still to be confirmed.
Below is the schedule of events for 2018. (Note: times and performer details are subject to change.)
2018 MAIN STAGE SCHEDULE (outside City Hall in the Plaza)
- 11:00 am – Smile Band (an all-girl youth band from the Surrey Academy of Innovative Learning)
- 11:30 am – Colin Bullock (a Lower Mainland folk singer)
- 12:30 pm – Rockin’ Robin (for young children and their families)
- 1:30 pm – Bobs & LoLo (a JUNO Award-winning duo of children’s entertainers)
- 2:30 pm – Mayor & Council Green Ceremony
- 3:15 pm – Sam Roberts Band (a popular Canadian rock musician from Montreal)
- 4:15 pm – Star Captains ( a 4-member Vancouver-based band)
- 5:00 pm – The Freshest (a 4-man Vancouver band)
2018 YVR GLOBAL STAGE SCHEDULE (inside Council Chambers)
- 12:15 pm – Matt Henry (a juggler and entertainer)
- 12:30 pm – BC Lions Talk
- 1:15 pm – Urban Safari Rescue Society
- 2:30 pm – Luke Wallace (a local folk musician)
- 3:15 pm – Science World Demo
- 4:00 pm – Bobs & LoLo (for kids and young families)
2018 LIBRARY STAGE
- 11:00 am – Library Storytime: I Want My Planet Back
- 12:00 pm – Bobs & LoLo (for kids and young families)
- 1:15 pm – Science World Demo
- 2:15 pm – Library Storytime: I Want My Planet Back
- 3:00 pm – Matt Henry (a juggler and entertainer)
Tips and Advice
Below are some suggestions to help you make the most out of your experience at Surrey’s big April event.
TIP #1: Party for the Planet is an Earth Day celebration so leave the car at home and take public transit if you can. The planet will love you for it, plus roads will be busy and parking extremely limited.
TIP #2: Party for the Planet usually takes place on the weekend around April 21 and so on the same day as Surrey’s largest event of the year – the Surrey Vaisakhi Parade. If you want free food and an incredible cultural experience, then check that out too.
Note: In 2018 the Party for the Planet is a week earlier than usual, however, so the two Surrey events won’t actually be on same weekend. The Vancouver Vaisakhi Festival, on the other hand, will share the same date as the Party for the Planet in 2018.