The Surrey Tree Lighting Festival is a family event marking the start of the winter season with the lighting of a giant Christmas tree at Surrey City Hall.
In addition to the Christmas tree and various activities for children, highlights of the event for everyone include an afternoon of festivities with free live concerts.
Surrey Tree Lighting Festival
In 2022 the Surrey Tree Lighting Festival takes place on Saturday, November 19th, from noon until 8:00 pm. As always, admission is free.
The Surrey Tree Lighting Festival typically includes storytelling and family-friendly activities for children, as well as holiday crafts, food trucks, live entertainment and the lighting of a 60-foot Christmas tree in the plaza outside Surrey City Hall.
In 2020, the Surrey Tree Lighting Festival took place in a virtual format on November 21st. The event returned to its in-person format on November 20th in 2021.
The Surrey Tree Lighting Festival takes place in the Civic Plaza at Surrey City Hall and in the City Hall Atrium at 13450-104 Avenue in Surrey. Some activities also take place next door in the Surrey City Centre Public Library.
Both venues are conveniently located right by the Surrey Central SkyTrain Station.
Festival Entertainment Schedule
In 2022 the festival takes place on Saturday, November 19th. Activities run from 12:00 to 8:00 pm. The 2022 schedule for each stage is listed below.
2022 Snowflake Stage Entertainment
The 2022 live performance schedule on the festival’s Snowflake Stage outside in the Plaza features the following performers:
- 12:00 pm – Francis Baptiste
- 12:50 pm – Indigenous Welcome with Kwantlen First Nation
- 1:00 pm – West Coast Harmony Chorus
- 2:00 pm – Matt Cook-Contois & Erik Severinson
- 3:00 pm – Cookin’ With Brass
- 4:00 pm – Motown Tribute with Krystle Dos Santos & Mike Henry
- 5:00 pm – Pat Chessell & Friends Celtic Christmas
- 6:00 pm – Tree Lighting Ceremony
- 7:00 pm – VOC Sweet Soul Gospel Choir
North Pole Stage
Performances on this stage are mostly for kids to enjoy. The North Pole tent schedule is the following in 2022:
- 12:30 pm – North Surrey Breakers and Salish Secondary Dance
- 1:30 pm – Travis Bernhardt the Magician
- 2:30 pm – Learn to Powwow Dance with the Wild Moccasin Dancers
- 3:30 pm – Singalongs with Ana and Elsa
- 4:30 pm – Royal City Youth Ballet Presents: The Nutcracker
- 5:30 pm – Tightrope Theatre
Candy Cane Dance Tent Schedule
The 2022 schedule for the Candy Cane Dance Tent is the following:
- 12:00 pm – Table Tutors
- 2:00 pm – Higher Ground Dance Battle
- 2:30 pm – Table Tutors
- 3:00 pm – Hip Hop Dance Lessons
- 3:30 pm – Mascot & Kids Dance Off with Table Tutors
- 4:00 pm – Higher Ground Dance Battle
- 4:30 pm – Christmas Mash Up Dance Off with DJ Player Potion
- 5:00 pm – Dance Lessons with Rangla Punjab Dance Co.
- 6:00 pm – Higher Ground Dance Battle
- 6:30 pm – DJ Player Potion
Grand Staircase – City Centre Library Schedule
The schedule of performances taking place in the Surrey City Centre Public Library in 2022 is the following:
- 12:00 pm – Harmoneve
- 1:00 pm – La Trompette de Noël
- 2:00 pm – Shelley Eckstein
- 3:00 pm – FKA Rayne
- 4:00 pm – Ashley Pater
- 5:00 pm – Kwantlen Glee Club
In the Market
In the market area at the Surrey Tree Lighting Festival in 2019 there were also half-hour Meet & Greet sessions with Mickey and Minnie Mouse at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00 and 5:00 pm.
It appears that there are no Meet & Greet sessions in 2022, although there are other things to do in the Holiday Market. This year there are more than two dozen local vendors selling unique crafts, beauty products, accessories and more.
In addition to the above mentioned live entertainment and market vendors, activities at the Surrey Tree Lighting Festival in 2022 include free Ferris Wheel rides, a couple of smaller rides for kids, photos with Santa Claus, and crafts and storytelling for children.
Also at the event are food trucks in the Enchanted Eats zone. In 2022 there are about ten different trucks serving everything from popcorn and coffee to mini donuts, burgers and pizza. There are light displays to admire as well including a tunnel full of illuminations.
Festival Tips and Advice
Below are suggestions on how to make the most of your festival experience.
TIP #1: The concerts with headliner bands are especially popular. Head to the stage area well before their performances if you want a good view of some of the more well-known musicians and their shows.
TIP #2: Take public transit. Parking in the area will be a challenge, Surrey Central SkyTrain Station is right next door, and being a Saturday a single zone transit ticket will get you there from anywhere within Metro Vancouver.
For more information about the Surrey Christmas event in November see the Surrey Tree Lighting Festival website.
For other events going on this time of year in other parts of the Lower Mainland, click any of the following:
- Vancouver’s November Calendar
- Free Events in November
- Vancouver’s December Calendar
- Festivals & Events Calendar
- Top Things to do at Christmas