The Surrey Tree Lighting Festival is a family event marking the start of the winter season with the lighting of a giant Christmas tree at Surrey City Hall.
In addition to the Christmas tree and various activities for children, highlights of the event for everyone include an afternoon of festivities with free live concerts.
2018 Surrey Tree Lighting Festival
In 2018 the Surrey Tree Lighting Festival takes place on Saturday, November 24th. Last year the headliner musician was Ruth B. In 2018 the headliner is Vancouver’s own Warren Dean Flandez.
The Surrey Tree Lighting Festival is a FREE event that includes storytelling and family-friendly activities for children, holiday crafts, food trucks, live entertainment and the lighting of a 60-foot Christmas tree in the plaza outside Surrey City Hall.
The Surrey Tree Lighting Festival takes place in the Plaza at Surrey City Hall and in the City Hall Atrium at 13450-104 Avenue in Surrey. Some activities also take place next door in the Surrey City Centre Public Library
The venue is conveniently located right by the Surrey Central SkyTrain Station.
Festival Date and Schedule
Festival activities run from 12:00 to 7:00 pm on the Saturday of the event. Below is the entertainment lineup for 2018.
2018 Main Stage Entertainment
The live performance schedule on the festival’s Main Stage outside in the Plaza features the following groups:
- 12:20 pm – Route 66eh
- 12:55 pm – Santa’s Arrival
- 1:00 pm – Jessie Farrell
- 2:00 pm – The Piano Man – A Tribute to Elton John
- 3:00 pm – Lovecoast
- 4:00 pm – Dawn Pemberton
- 5:30 pm – Warren Dean Flandez
- 6:25 pm – Official Tree Lighting Ceremony
- 6:40 pm – Warren Dean Flandez
Performances taking place on the Snowflake Stage indoors in the City Hall Atrium include the following:
- 12:30 pm – Princess Margaret Secondary Choir
- 1:00 pm – Dance Collective: a dance group from a Burnaby-based dance school.
- 2:00 pm – Rockin’ Robin and the Magical Tree
- 3:00 pm – Langley Ukulele Ensemble
- 4:00 pm – Fresh Groove Dance Crew
- 5:00 pm – Jessie Farrell
Tree Riser Stage
Performances on the Tree Riser Stage outside in the Civic Plaza are the following:
- 1:40 pm – Princess Margaret Secondary Choir
- 2:40 pm – Westcoast Harmony Chorus
- 3:40 pm – Top Line Vocal Collective
- 5:00 pm – Westcoast Harmony Chorus
The following performances take place in the City Centre Library:
- 1:00 pm – Peter GG
- 2:00 pm – Season’s Singers
- 3:00 pm – Top Line Coral Group
- 3:30 pm – Westcoast Harmony Chorus: a Surrey-based all-women a cappella group.
In the Market
In the market area at the Surrey Tree Lighting Festival there are also half-hour Meet & Greet sessions with Paw Patrol characters at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00 and 5:00 pm. And at 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, 4:30 and 5:30 there are short performances by Ventriloquist Norma McKnight.
In addition to the above mentioned live entertainment, activities at the Surrey Tree Lighting Festival most years include ice-carving demonstrations, miniature train rides, a Christmas market, photos with Santa Claus, road hockey games, a Ferris wheel to ride and crafts and storytelling for children. Also at the event most years are food trucks and a giant snow globe.
Festival Tips and Advice
Below are suggestions on how to make the most of your festival experience.
TIP #1: The concerts with headliner bands are especially popular. Head to the stage area well before their performances if you want a good view of some of the more well-known musicians and their shows.
TIP #2: Take public transit. Parking in the area will be a challenge, Surrey Central SkyTrain Station is right next door, and being a Saturday a single zone transit ticket will get you there from anywhere within Metro Vancouver.
For more information about the Surrey Christmas event in November see the Surrey Tree Lighting Festival website.
For other events going on this time of year in other parts of the Lower Mainland, click any of the following:
- Vancouver’s November Calendar
- Free Events in November
- Vancouver’s December Calendar
- Festivals & Events Calendar
- Top Things to do at Christmas