Cates Park is a great park for kids in North Vancouver. It has an amazing play structure area for young children, and the beach has both sand and rocky areas.
Cates Park on the North Shore
Cates Park is located at 4141 Dollarton Highway in North Vancouver.
There is a lot of parking at Cates Park, but the place is also popular on hot sunny days in the summer. The odds are you’ll find a spot to park, although it’s not guaranteed on busy days, like when it’s hot and there’s a live outdoor concert at the same time.
The best way to get to Cates Park is by car, not public transit. Buses do go out there, but it’s a 45-60 minute trip from Lonsdale Quay with at least one, but sometimes two transfers.
Cates Park has a boat launch and kayak rentals in the summer.
In the summer there are often live band performances on the weekends between around 4:00 until 7:00 pm on Saturdays between early July and mid-August. 2018 dates and performers were the following: (2019 will most likely be similar.)
- July 7, 2018 – Deep/Seated and All Kings Assembly
- July 14, 2018 – Norine Braun Band, Tony Kastelic and Toque Flamenco
- July 21, 2018 – Heaven’s Trailer Park, Bealby Point and Horse Opera
- July 28, 2018 – China Syndrome, Highland Eyeway and All Kings Assembly
- August 4, 2018 – Asi Somos, The Acoustic Ghosts and Symentha
- August 11, 2018 – Sleepy Gonzales and Other Special Guests
- August 18, 2018 – Paolo Brian, Ryan Fischer, Cheyenne May, Ranji Singh and Michaela Slinger
Click Cates Park Summer Concerts for more details.
Check out Free Outdoor Music for summer concert venues in Metro Vancouver, including performances at Cates Park in July and August.