Free outdoor concerts take place in Shipbuilders’ Square in North Vancouver‘s Lower Lonsdale district on Saturday evenings in July and August each year.
North Vancouver Saturday Concerts
In 2018 the Summer Sessions series of concerts takes place every Saturday evening from July 14 to August 28.
If you like live music, then Shipbuilders’ Square is a great place to be on Saturday evenings in the summer. There is toe tapping music roughly between 5 and 10 pm.
At the event there is a band, dancing, food trucks, artisan vendors and a beer garden. Admission is free and the venue is open to folk of all ages.
2018 Live Music Lineup
Below is the lineup of performing bands for the summer of 2018:
- July 14 – Ticket To Ride: a Beatles tribute band.
- July 21 – Coco Jafro: a popular Latin, Jazz and Funk group.
- July 28 – Quickness: a 4-man band that plays both modern Pop and traditional Rock.
- August 4 – The So Tight Band: a high-energy group that plays everything from Rhythm and Blues to Funk, Disco and Pop.
- August 11 – Instead of just one or two bands playing at a smaller regular event, the entire Lower Lonsdale area from the Shipyards to Lonsdale Quay becomes one giant music festival! The Shipped Waterfront Festival runs from noon until 10 pm and includes multiple stages, beer gardens and family-friendly activities. Bands include Humans, Manatee Commune, Tonye Aganaba and many others.
- August 18 – March Hare Band: a party dance band that plays everything from Country to Latin to Disco.
- August 25 – Hitsville USA: a group that plays the music of Motown, the Temptations, Smokey Robinson, the Supremes and other American favourites.
Note: concert details are subject to change. See the City of North Vancouver website for more information on the Summer Sessions concert series.
Where is Shipbuilders’ Square?
Shipbuilders’ Square is located at 138 Victory Ship Way, which is at the bottom of Lonsdale Avenue in North Vancouver just a 5-minute walk east of the SeaBus terminal at Lonsdale Quay.
Look for the giant building with “The Shipyards” written in large white letters on the roof and the popular Tap & Barrel restaurant inside. On the other side of the building you’ll find Shipbuilders’ Square.
If coming from downtown Vancouver or anywhere by SkyTrain, the easiest way to get to Lonsdale Quay and Shipbuilders’ Square by public transit is via the SeaBus from Vancouver’s Waterfront Station.
If coming by car, Shipbuilders’ Square is in North Vancouver at the very bottom of Lonsdale Avenue by the large white Pinnacle Hotel. There is some street parking in the area, but also free parking on evenings and weekends close by in the ICBC parkade halfway up the one block of Rogers Avenue between Carrie Cates Court and Esplanade Avenue.
Other Things to Do
If you’re ever on the North Shore in the summer on a Friday evening and you like outdoor concerts, then also check out the Shipyard Night Market which takes place at the same venue on Fridays and features dozens of fresh produce vendors, artisans, food trucks and a beer garden. It’s highly recommended.
For other ideas on things to do in the area, see Vancouver’s North Shore.
For a list of major events taking place in the Lower Mainland at different times of the year, see Vancouver’s Festivals & Events Calendar.
For other free live music venues throughout Metro Vancouver, click Free Summer Concerts.