TEDxVancouver is a Vancouver TEDx event that features a day of inspirational speakers. In 2018 former Prime Minister Kim Campbell was one of its presenters.
TEDxVancouver at the Chan Theatre
TEDxVancouver is one of several TEDx Conferences in Vancouver. Like other TEDx events around the world, it is a one-day event that features thought-leading speakers on a wide range of topics.
This particular event begins with a continental breakfast of coffee, tea and light snacks. The talks begin at 10 o’clock and there are breaks and a light lunch in between rounds of speakers.
As many as 20 presenters participate at each TEDxVancouver event, and sometimes even more. Each one speaks for between around 5 and 15 minutes and their topics address society’s major challenges.
TED stands for Technology, Entertainment and Design and speaker subjects range from politics to entertainment and what’s new in science, health, technology and the economy. It’s an event about sharing ideas and making people think!
For more information about TED in general, click TED Conferences in Vancouver. For more information about the TEDxVancouver event in September, continue reading or see the official TEDxVancouver website.
When and Where in 2018
TEDxVancouver took place on Saturday, September 8th, 2018, at UBC’s Chan Centre for the Performing Arts. The venue’s address is 6265 Crescent Road which is just off NW Marine Drive at the University of British Columbia.
Future dates and details about the event are to be confirmed. As of the summer of 2021, the event’s former website didn’t appear to be operating. Whether the event happens again, consequently, is a bit unknown.
In years when it does take place, the main event runs from around 10:00 am until 5:00 pm, with doors opening at 8:30 in the morning. In 2018 there was also a “Speaker Meet and Greet & Book Signing” session from 5:30 until 6:30 pm, and then an After-Party from 6:30 until 9:00 pm.
Tickets for the event in previous years cost around $99.99 (plus a $10 online service fee). Included in the price were breakfast, coffee, tea, snacks and lunch, as well as access to the After Party. Future details are to be confirmed.
TEDxVancouver speakers in previous years included world-famous Canadians like (former Prime Minister) Kim Campbell, (1-800-GOT-JUNK CEO) Brian Scudamore, (NHL player) Theo Fleury, (journalist and former Egyptian prisoner) Mohamed Fahmy and others.
To give an idea of what to expect, the list of presenters that were scheduled to talk at the event in 2018 is shown below. (Note: speakers and other details are subject to change.)
- Kim Campbell – the former Prime Minister of Canada (and first and only woman to hold that position to date).
- Merideth Schutter – a local realtor and the CEO and founder of PROtect which is an app that helps keep people safe (including solo professionals and children).
- Anicka Quin – the Editorial Director at Vancouver Magazine.
- Grace Dove – the Indigenous actress who co-starred in the film The Revenant with Leonardo DiCaprio.
- Mohamed Fahmy – a journalist and human rights activist who spent over a year in an Egyptian prison.
- Moses Znaimer – the creator and producer behind ZoomerMedia, Much Music and other Canadian television programs, stations and channels.
- Theo Fleury – a former NHL hockey player and Stanley Cup champion who today inspires millions of people on the subject of relational trauma.
- Victor Lucas – a pioneer in the video game television industry including the Emmy Award-winning program The Electric Playground.
- Claudia Casper – the award-winning author of The Reconstruction, The Continuation of Love by Other Means, and The Mercy Journals.
- Dr. Margriet Dogterom – a bee expert and founder of Beediverse.
- Dr. Kevin Heyries – the co-founder of the biotech company AbCellera.
- Dave Brett – the creator of the Boxfit Fitness Program and Glove System ranking system.
- Andrea Griffith – the Production Executive for HGTV Canada.
- Frank Palmer – the Chairman and CEO of the ad agency DDB Canada.
- Brian Scudamore – the CEO and founder of 1-800-GOT-JUNK?, WOW 1 DAY PAINTING and Shack Shine.
- Dr. Saeid Mushtagh – a local naturopathic doctor, author and educator.
- Penny Green – the President and CEO of The Yield Growth Corp (a cannabis-related company) and formerly both the CEO of Bacchus Law and Chairman of the Board for Highbury Energy Inc.
- Daryl Fontana – an entrepreneur, athlete, and life coach with CoreQi Integrative Life Coaching.
- Riaz Meghji – the co-host of Breakfast Television Vancouver.
- Rachel David – a YouTube personality, entrepreneur and CEO of the marketing agency Hashtag Communications.
To learn more about the organization behind the conference, and other similar events, click Vancouver TED and TEDx Conferences.
In 2021 the organizers behind TEDxVancouver hosted a different TEDx event. To learn about that event click TEDxWhistler.
For a list of other things to do in the Lower Mainland, check out the following:
- Vancouver’s September Calendar
- Lower Mainland Festivals & Events
- Shows and Entertainment Calendar
- Vancouver’s Top 100 Places
- The A to Z’s of Vancouver