The play Bah Humbug! is a modern-day adaptation of Charles Dickens’ tale, A Christmas Carol, about a miserly Scrooge, ghosts and Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside.
2019 is the last year that this play will be presented.
Bah Humbug! 2019
Bah Humbug! is a musical that is performed annually in December. It’s based on the classic Dickens’ Christmas tale but has a definite Vancouver and Downtown Eastside twist.
See the SFU Woodwards‘ website for more information about the show.
About the Play
Running in various forms over its ten years of existence, Bah Humbug! has become a Vancouver Christmas tradition. Set in Vancouver’s present-day Downtown Eastside, the story is about Scrooge, a hotel landlord and pawnshop operator, who profits from the city’s less fortunate.
The play is a musical directed by Vancouver’s Renae Morriseau and starring JUNO Award-winning singer Jim Byrnes.
In addition to providing wonderful entertainment, the production addresses social issues facing Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside as well as the role of reconciliation in the city.
The play appeals to a wide audience, from children to seniors. Some of its content though is appropriate more for folk ages 10+ as it addresses mature subjects, like drug use. The story and its subject matter can be suitable for younger children too, and can provide a great discussion starter, all depending on the child and what their parents are comfortable with.
2019 is the last year that this play will be performed, so go see it while you can! It’s a good one!
When and Where
Bah Humbug! runs in 2019 on select days from December 5th until the 21st (excluding December 9th and 16th) at the Goldcorp Centre for the Arts at 149 West Hastings Street in downtown Vancouver.
Shows take place Tuesdays to Saturdays at 7:30 pm. There are also matinees at 2:00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays.
Tickets to the musical in 2019 cost $39 for adults and $24 for both students (with valid ID) and children (up to 17 years of age). These prices are the same as ticket prices last year. Early-bird 4-packs of tickets are also available for $110. All prices were inclusive of taxes and online fees.
Discounts were also available for groups of 10+. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Below is some other interesting information about the Bah Humbug! play.
- Part of the proceeds from the show benefit the Downtown Eastside’s Heart of the City Festival which takes place in the fall each year.
- The show has a “no-latecomers policy” so give yourself lots of time to get there. Also, note that the production reserves the right to resell tickets that are not picked up within five minutes of show time. So don’t be late!
- The venue is conveniently located halfway between Waterfront Station and the Stadium-Chinatown SkyTrain Station. If you walk it’ll take you less than 10 minutes in either direction.
- There is a parkade close by at 65 West Cordova Street as well as pay parking underground at the International Village Mall at 88 West Pender Street. There is also street parking in the area, although the maximum time limit at most meters is just two hours.
- The performance runs for approximately 85 minutes with no intermission.
- The play is presented by both SFU Woodward’s Cultural Programs and Vancouver Moving Theatre in partnership with Full Circle: First Nations Productions.
- Bah Humbug! has been running for over half a dozen years and its script is tweaked annually to reflect current issues (so it can be fun to see again even if you’ve seen it in the past).
- There is a scene with about 8 seconds of strobe lighting in it. This is good to know for people with sensitivities to flashing lights.
For more information about the show click Bah Humbug! 2019.
Other articles you might be interested in include the following:
- Vancouver Theatre in December
- Shows & Entertainment Calendar
- Entertainment in Vancouver
- Vancouver’s December Calendar of Events
- Festivals & Events Calendar
- Vancouver Christmas Concerts
- Top Things to do at Christmas
- Best Vancouver Christmas Activities