Top Places to Eat and Drink
North Vancouver offers restaurants at all price points and of a wide range of ethnic backgrounds.
The first block of Lonsdale Avenue, just steps from Lonsdale Quay, includes some of the area’s best restaurants including Gusto, Burgoo, Anatoli Souvlaki and the District. Further along Lonsdale Avenue there are numerous other establishments, and in places like Deep Cove, along Marine Drive and even at the top of Grouse Mountain there are even more.
Below is a list of some of North Vancouver’s most popular restaurants.
TIP: For a list of restaurants with 2-for-1 coupons in North Vancouver, as well as other locations within the Lower Mainland, click Entertainment Book Restaurant Coupons.
Lonsdale Quay & Lower Lonsdale
- Anatoli Souvlaki is at #5 Lonsdale Avenue, at the bottom of the hill and conveniently close to Lonsdale Quay. It’s more expensive than some of the North Shore’s other Greek restaurants, but it’s one of the Lower Mainland’s best.
- Burgoo at #3 Lonsdale Avenue is a great little restaurant if you like comfort food – they serve excellent soups and stews. Burgoo is an especially good place to go in the winter.
- Gusto di Quattro at #1 Lonsdale Avenue is known as one of (if not the) best Italian restaurants on the North Shore.
- Palki Restaurant at 1st and Lonsdale Avenue serves tasty and reasonably-priced Indian cuisine.
- The Canyon is a casual bistro-style restaurant located at 3135 Edgemont Boulevard in North Vancouver.
- The District at #13 Lonsdale is a tiny place, so good for couples or small groups, but definitely not large.
- Jägerhof Restaurant at 71 Lonsdale Avenue is a favourite place for locals looking for fine German, Austrian, Swiss and South Tyrol cuisine. The restaurant also often offers live music on weekends.
- The Lobby at the Pinnacle Hotel at 138 Victory Ship Way is fancy and also about a block from Lonsdale Quay.
- Sushi Bella at 152 Lonsdale Avenue is a good place for Japanese.
- The Tap and Barrel at the bottom of Lonsdale Avenue is just a short walk from Lonsdale Quay, has a giant outdoor patio in the summer and features dozens of craft beers on tap.
- Thai House at 116 West Esplanade Avenue is one of our favourite places for Thai Food on the North Shore.
- Vaades at 149 West 3rd is another great Indian restaurant in Lower Lonsdale.
- Looking for a fine selection of cheap fast food? Then check out the food court area at Lonsdale Quay and then sit out on the patio (if it’s warm enough).
Other North Vancouver Restaurants
- Arm’s Reach Bistro at 4390 Gallant Avenue in Deep Cove offers great food in a beautiful part of town.
- Hachi Hana at 1426 Lonsdale serves great Japanese at a reasonable price.
- Hamaei at 2601 Westview Drive (at Westview Plaza just a few doors from the McDonalds) has been known for years as one of the best places for Japanese cuisine.
- Indian Fusion at 2045 Lonsdale Avenue (so about 20 blocks up the hill) serves some of Metro Vancouver’s best Indian cuisine. It’s affordable and very highly rated.
- The Observatory is the fancy restaurant with amazing views at the top of Grouse Mountain. It costs a lot to get up to Grouse (via their gondola), but it’s complimentary for guests with dinner reservations (so it’s not cheap, but worth the trip and the experience. (Note: Grouse Mountain is completely non-smoking, so don’t expect to be able to light up, even outside).
- Smoke & Bones is a southern-style BBQ restaurant specializing in barbequed ribs (the same as the kind you might find at the PNE or other Ribfests-style events in the summer).
- Thomas Haas Chocolates and Patisserie at 988 Harbourside Drive isn’t a restaurant – but it’s one of the best places in Metro Vancouver for chocolate and a good place for coffee. It’s not in a fancy area – it’s more industrial – but it’s close to the Spirit Trail and so makes for a nice stop after a cycle ride or walk along the water.
North Vancouver Pubs and Bars
- Tap & Barrel at #8 Lonsdale Avenue at Shipbuilders’ Square is Lower Lonsdale’s newest, largest and busiest pub and restaurant.
- Queens Cross Pub towards the top of Lonsdale Avenue at the corner with Queens is a favourite with locals. It’s lively down below and quieter up the stairs.
- The Raven Pub at 1052 Deep Cove Road is famous for its pizza and boasts the largest selection of craft beer on the North Shore.
- Sailor Hagar’s Brew Pub at 86 Semisch Avenue is one of the closer pubs to Lonsdale Quay and it makes its own brew.
Other Parts of the Lower Mainland
For the best places to eat and drink in other parts of the Lower Mainland, check out the following:
- BURNABY‘s Best Restaurants
- The City of VANCOUVER‘s Best Bars & Restaurants
- RICHMOND‘s Best Bars & Restaurants
- SURREY‘s Best Restaurants
- WEST VANCOUVER‘s Best Restaurants