Top Places to Eat and Drink
North Vancouver offers restaurants at all price points and of a wide range of ethnic backgrounds.
The first block of Lonsdale Avenue, just steps from Lonsdale Quay, includes some of the area’s best restaurants. This includes places like Burgoo Bistro Lonsdale and Anatoli Souvlaki. Further along Lonsdale Avenue there are numerous other establishments. Others are in places like Deep Cove, along Marine Drive and at the top of Grouse Mountain.
Below is a list of some of North Vancouver’s most popular restaurants.
Lonsdale Quay & Lower Lonsdale
The following restaurants are in the Lower Lonsdale neighbourhood of North Vancouver.
- Anatoli Souvlaki is at #5 Lonsdale Avenue at the bottom of the hill. It’s more expensive than some Greek restaurants, but it’s one of the Lower Mainland’s best.
- Burgoo at #3 Lonsdale Avenue is a great little restaurant if you like comfort food like soups and stews.
- Palki Restaurant at 1st and Lonsdale Avenue serves tasty and reasonably-priced Indian cuisine.
- Jägerhof Restaurant at 71 Lonsdale Avenue is a favourite place for locals looking for fine German, Austrian, Swiss and South Tyrol cuisine. The restaurant also often offers live music on weekends.
- JOEY is a premium-casual chain restaurant beside the Seaside Hotel near the entrance to the Pier in the heart of the Shipyards.
- The Lobby at the Pinnacle Hotel at 138 Victory Ship Way is an upscale restaurant and also about a block from Lonsdale Quay.
- Pier 7 Restaurant & Bar is a great place for seafood and views of the water. It’s located at the edge of Shipbuilders’ Square at 25 Wallace Mews.
- Sushi Bella at 152 Lonsdale Avenue is a good place for Japanese.
- The Tap and Barrel at the bottom of Lonsdale Avenue is just a short walk from Lonsdale Quay, has a large outdoor patio in the summer and features dozens of craft beers on tap.
- Thai House at 116 West Esplanade Avenue is one of our favourite places for Thai Food on the North Shore. The food is delicious and the prices are reasonable.
- Looking for a fine selection of cheap fast food? Then check out the food court area at Lonsdale Quay and then sit out on the patio (if it’s warm enough).
Other North Vancouver Restaurants
- Arm’s Reach Bistro at 4390 Gallant Avenue in Deep Cove offers great food in a beautiful part of town.
- Hachi Hana at 1426 Lonsdale serves great Japanese food at a reasonable price.
- Haru Sushi is located at the top of the main commercial stretch of North Vancouver’s main shopping street at 2041 Lonsdale Avenue.
- When we went in 2020 we had gyoza and edamame for appetizers (which were great) as well as tempura udon and chicken yakisoba (both of which were just okay). We also ordered the beef and chicken boxes and both were excellent. Our meals, before tip, came to less than $45 for four people. You get good value here for what you pay for and we’ll be going back again!
- Hamaei at 2601 Westview Drive (at Westview Plaza just a few doors from the McDonalds) has been known for years as one of the best places for Japanese cuisine.
- Indian Fusion at 2045 Lonsdale Avenue (so about 20 blocks up the hill) serves some of Metro Vancouver’s best Indian cuisine. It’s affordable and very highly rated.
- The Observatory is the fancy restaurant with amazing views at the top of Grouse Mountain. It’s a bit pricey to get up to Grouse (via their gondola), but it’s complimentary for guests with dinner reservations.
- Smoke & Bones is a southern-style BBQ restaurant specializing in barbequed ribs (the same as the kind you might find at the PNE or other Ribfest-style events in the summer).
North Vancouver Pubs and Bars
- The Black Bear Pub is a pub at 1177 Lynn Valley Road by Lynn Valley Shopping Centre.
- Black Kettle Brewing is at 720 Copping Street (which is near both the Northshore Auto Mall and Spirit Trail). They have a great selection of craft beers and dogs are welcome on their outdoor patio.
- Braggot Brewering is a craft brewery that makes braggot which is a cross between beer and mead (for which they make their own honey). It’s a smaller place at 370 East Esplanade, but has an interesting story and unique drinks.
- Deep Cove Brewers is a brewpub at 2270 Dollarton Highway. You can buy their beer at liquor stores all over Metro Vancouver. They also have a great outdoor patio.
- North Point Brewing is a small craft brewery with both indoor and outdoor seating at 266 East 1st Street.
- Queens Cross Pub towards the top of Lonsdale Avenue at the corner with Queens is a favourite with locals. It’s lively down below and quieter up the stairs.
- The Raven Pub at 1052 Deep Cove Road is famous for its pizza and boasts the largest selection of craft beer on the North Shore.
- Sailor Hagar’s Brew Pub at 86 Semisch Avenue is one of the closer pubs to Lonsdale Quay and it makes its own brew.
- Seymour’s Pub and Grill is a pub at the Holiday Inn & Suites at 720 Lillooet Road (so not far from Capilano University and the Second Narrows Bridge).
- Tap & Barrel at #8 Lonsdale Avenue at Shipbuilders’ Square is Lower Lonsdale’s largest pub and restaurant.
- Wildeye Brewing is at 1385 Main Street (which is close to the Second Narrows Bridge). They have an excellent selection of craft beers that are made on site. They also have an outdoor patio (dogs are welcome) and large indoor seating area.
Other Parts of the Lower Mainland
For the best places to eat and drink in other parts of the Lower Mainland, check out the following:
- BURNABY‘s Best Restaurants
- The City of VANCOUVER‘s Best Bars & Restaurants
- RICHMOND‘s Best Bars & Restaurants
- SURREY‘s Best Restaurants
- WEST VANCOUVER‘s Best Restaurants
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Craft Breweries on the North Shore
- North Vancouver and the North Shore
- North Vancouver Hotels
- Vancouver’s Lower Lonsdale
- Marine Drive on the North Shore
- The Shipyards District