The Cherry Blossom Festival’s Cherry Jam Downtown Concert is a free event that takes place under shelter at Vancouver’s Burrard Street Skytrain Station.
It’s part of the annual Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival which runs from April 4th to 28th in 2019.
Blossom Festival Cherry Jam
In 2019 the Cherry Jam Downtown Concert takes place on Thursday, April 4th, from noon until 1:30 pm.
The venue is at Burrard Station which is located at 635 Burrard Street just one stop from Waterfront Station by SkyTrain.
The Cherry Jam Downtown Concert is a small event, drawing only a couple of hundred spectators most years and lasting only 90 minutes. It’s free though, and definitely worth checking out if you happen to be in the area.
The performances at the Cherry Jam event are all good, Burrard Street Station’s indoor concourse is a great venue as it’s large, semi-outdoors and protected from the rain, and the cherry blossoms in the square outside can be some of Vancouver’s finest when they are at their peak.
Cherry Jam Entertainment
Entertainment at the event last year included performances by the Sound Eclectic Vocal Ensemble, Vancouver Chinese Music Ensemble, the Tetsu Taiko Japanese drumming group, Alcvin Ramos on the Japanese bamboo flute, and pianist Ken Cormier from Chor Leoni.
In 2019 the lineup will be the following:
- 12:00 pm – Zimbamoto Trio (playing Zimbabwean Afro Fusion)
- 12:20 pm – Katari Taiko (a Vancouver-based Japanese drumming group)
- 12:50 pm – NoriNori & Kage (a duo playing the taiko drums and Japanese shamisen)
- 1:15 pm – MNGWA (a Vancouver-based Afro-Latin Cumbia band)
At the event there are also usually readings of winning poems from the previous year’s Haiku Invitational poetry contest.
For more information on the event, check out the Cherry Jam Downtown Concert‘s official webpage or see the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival for other cherry tree-related events taking place in April.
Other Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival events each year include the following:
- Spring Lights Illumination Night – an evening of cherry blossoms, music and special lights at Queen Elizabeth Park
- Sakura Days Japan Fair – a 2-day Japanese festival at VanDusen Garden
For ideas on other things to do in the Lower Mainland, check out the following: