Most years on April 1st Vancouver takes part in International Pillow Fight Day by hosting a massive group pillow battle outside the Vancouver Art Gallery.
In 2018, however, the event takes place on Saturday, April 7th.
Mass Pillow Fight in Vancouver
Organized by Flash Mob Vancouver, the Vancouver Pillow Fight event attracts several hundred people each year and results in tons of fun and feathers.
When and Where in 2018
Cities from around the world celebrate International Pillow Fight Day on the first Saturday in April each year.
In 2018 the Vancouver Pillow Fight takes place on Saturday, April 7th, in the south plaza of the Vancouver Art Gallery which is located in the 800 block of Robson Street by Howe Street in downtown Vancouver. The event starts at 3 pm sharp and lasts for less than 30 minutes.
What Happens at the Pillow Fight
At the pillow fight people show up with their pillows, try to look inconspicuous up until 3 pm, and then suddenly en masse bring out their feathery weapons and start swinging.
Not everyone participates in the fight, but many do. In addition to people swinging pillows, there are also lots of folk there to take photos and just watch the fun.
The entire event lasts for just minutes, it takes place rain or shine, and by the end there are feathers everywhere!
Pillow Fight Rules
Yes, in order to keep everyone safe and happy, there are rules for the pillow fight. Here are the main ones:
- Don’t be in location until exactly 3 pm.
- Keep your pillows concealed until starting time.
- Right at 3 pm rush in screaming “PILLOW FIGHT!”
- Have fun pillow fighting for 15 minutes and then promptly leave the area.
- Stay in the plaza area and off the roads and sidewalks.
- Hit ONLY people with pillows. If a person doesn’t have a pillow and is obviously not participating, don’t hit them!
- Use common sense! Fight for fun. Don’t hurt anyone!
- Participate and/or stand in the immediate vicinity at your own risk!
Pillow Fight Advice
Here are some tips to help you enjoy the International Pillow Fight Day in Vancouver:
- Be in the vicinity before 3 pm so you’re ready when things start. It begins sharp at 3 o’clock and finishes by 3:15. If you arrive late all you’ll see is lots of feathers.
- If you don’t want to get hit, don’t bring a pillow.
- If you do want to fight, then bring a softer pillow with lots of feathers. And don’t bring a good one – there’s a good chance it won’t survive in one piece!
- Go with a group of friends and designate someone (who’s not holding a pillow) to take photos or video.
For more information on the April 1st event check out the Vancouver Pillow Fight Facebook page.
For a list of events in other cities around the world, visit the International Pillow Fight Day Facebook page.