COVID-19 RACE UPDATES
On April 6th, 2020,the BC Superweek of Cycling announced that it is cancelling all its Lower Mainland races this year due to concerns about the coronavirus pandemic. This includes the Gastown Grand Prix in downtown Vancouver as well as races in Burnaby, Delta, Coquitlam, New Westminster, Port Coquitlam and White Rock.
Instead of taking place from July 10th to 19th this year the series of cycling races will now next be happening between July 9th and 18th in 2021.
To learn about other events affected by the outbreak of the virus, click Vancouver Event Cancellations and COVID-19.
Cycling Races in Vancouver
Taking place in five Lower Mainland cities over the course of ten days, BC Superweek is one of the most prestigious cycling competitions in North America.
Professional cyclists race through city streets, climb challenging hills, travel at speeds of up to over 70 km an hour and compete for more than $120,000 in prize money.
BC Superweek takes place each year in July and includes the following races:
- Tour de Delta – three days of cycling races in Delta.
- Gastown Grand Prix – cycling races in Vancouver through the streets of Gastown.
- Giro di Burnaby – a closed circuit cycling race in downtown Burnaby.
- New West Grand Prix – a fast-paced 935-metre circuit in New Westminster.
- PoCo Grand Prix – cycling races in Port Coquitlam.
- Tour de White Rock – two days of racing in White Rock.
Other cycling events in the Lower Mainland include the following:
- Rotary Ride for Rescue – road and mountain bike races up Cypress Mountain in June that raise funds for North Shore Search & Rescue and Rotarian humanitarian projects.
- Whistler GrandFondo – a cycling race between Vancouver and Whistler in September.