The Richmond Children’s Arts Festival takes place at the Richmond Cultural Centre every year on Family Day which in 2024 is on Monday, February 19th.
This article contains the following information about the festival:
Family Day Arts Festival in Richmond in 2024
Held annually at the Richmond Cultural Centre at 7700 Minoru Gate, the Richmond Children’s Arts Festival typically happens on the Monday of the BC Family Day Long Weekend. As well as art classes, there are performances, book readings and other activities at the event.
The festival is popular and suitable for children up to around 12 years of age. Most kids though are younger.
In 2024 the event runs from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm on Monday, February 19th.
General admission into the festival is free. Creativity Classes, however, cost extra. See below for details.
Children’s Festival Classes
Creativity Classes are offered for $10 each in 2024 and pre-registration is required. Below are a few of the classes available during this year’s festival.
- Far East Folk Music and Movement Workshop with Ginalina
- Broadway Stars: Introduction to Musical Theatre
- Rhythmic Explorers: Dance and Drums
- Surreal Faces Art Workshop
- Haida and Squamish Stories and Songs Workshop with Roberta Kennedy
- Clay Creations
- Hip Hop Grooves
For the full list of Creativity Classes or to register when the event returns in 2024, visit the Children’s Arts Festival website.
Performances and Presentations
At the 2024 Richmond Children’s Arts Festival there are three stages that performances take place on. A variety of performers put on shows throughout the day. See below for the full schedule of events for 2024.
Once Upon A Time Stage
On the Once Upon A Time Stage various musicians and entertainers perform. The 2024 schedule for the Once Upon A Time Stage is as follows:
- 10:15 am – Will and Seeka: Friends with Everyone
- 12:30 pm – Peter G-G: Let’s Make a Song
- 1:45 pm – Chinese Traditional Musical Instrument Showcase
- 3:15 pm – Peter G-G: Let’s Make a Song
More live entertainment takes place on the Imagination Stage with the following groups on February 19th in 2024:
- 10:30 am – Far East Folk Songs, Mopti Drums Ensemble
- 12:00 pm – Hullaboo and the End of Everything
- 1:30 pm – Mdundo Arts: A Bodily and Rhythmic Conversation Between West and East Africa
- 3:00 pm – Journey into Rhythm
Story Time Pavilion
There are also live reading presentations at the following times in 2024:
- 10:30 am – Sally’s New Look
- 12:45 pm – Reading of Haida & Squamish Stories and Songs
- 2:15 pm – Wild and Wonderful West Coast: Storytelling, Songs and Movement
The 2024 Richmond Children’s Arts Festival features free Imagination Stations. The following drop-in activities are available throughout the day from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm.
- Printmaking Lab with Yaimel López Zaldívar
- Magical Creature Paper Pin-Prick Lantern with Secret Lantern Society
- Stopmotion Animation with Laura Rivera
- Button Making with Keely O’Brien
- Nature’s Palette: Richmond’s Flora and Fauna Exploration with Bea Martin
- Wishing Up a Dragon Scale with Wen Wen Cherry Lu
- Air Dry Clay Creations with Bella Kwiatowski
- Weaving Wonders
Check out the Richmond Children’s Arts Festival website for more details and information.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- The City of Richmond
- Vancouver on the Family Day Weekend
- Vancouver’s February Calendar
- Free Events in Vancouver in February
- Lower Mainland Festivals & Events
- Vancouver on a Budget
- Vancouver Events for Children