Looking for something to do on the BC Family Day Long Weekend in February 2020 in Vancouver? There are so many fun activities to choose from.
In 2020 the Family Day Long Weekend takes place February 15-17.
Family Day Activities in Vancouver in 2020
Depending on what you like to do, and who to do it with, you are sure to find something you’ll like from the list below of great Family Day weekend activities and places to visit.
Family Day activities listed in this article include events in the following municipalities:
Click any of the above locations to jump to events in a particular region, or simply continue reading to see what’s going on throughout the Lower Mainland.
Note: Event times and details are subject to change.
Special Events for Family Day 2020
In 2020 the following special Family Day activities take place in the Lower Mainland:
Vancouver Family Day Events
- Museum of Vancouver – free admission on the holiday Monday between 10 and 5 pm. (Details to be confirmed.)
- Family Day Festival in Marpole – free bouncy toys, balloons, face painting, games and live entertainment at Marpole Community Centre at 990 West 59th Avenue on Saturday, February 15th, 2020, from 11 am until 2 pm. Advanced registration not required.
- Family Day at Trout Lake – a free Family Festival at the Trout Lake Community Centre from 11 am to 3 pm on Monday, February 17th, 2020. Activities include skating, gym time, live entertainment, bouncy castle, crafts and more.
- Vancouver Lookout – on the holiday Monday admission is free for children ages 16 and under when accompanied by a paying adult. (Details to be confirmed.)
- Science World – admission to the attraction is free on Monday February 17th.
- Roedde House Museum – the historic house at 1415 Barclay Street in Vancouver is open on the Monday by donation from 1:00 until 4:00 pm. (Details to be confirmed.)
- BC Sports Hall of Fame – admission to the museum is free on the holiday Monday. (Details to be confirmed.)
- Family Day on Commercial Drive – free ice skating at Britannia Ice Rink at 1661 Napier Street from 1:00 until 3:30 pm on the holiday Monday. Free activities also include snacks, face painting, crafts and more. (Details to be confirmed.)
- Family Day at Douglas Park – free activities including a bouncy castle, balloon animals, face painting, snacks and crafts at the Douglas Park Community Centre on Saturday, February 15th, from 10am until 1 pm. Advanced registration required.
- Family Day at the Aquarium – admission to the Vancouver Aquarium is free for children under the age of 13 on Monday, February 18th, in 2019. (Details to be confirmed.)
- Ice Skating at the Agrodome – Free skating takes place at the Agrodome at the PNE from 11 am to 2 pm. (Bring your own skates though as rentals are not available.) (Details to be confirmed.)
Family Day in Burnaby
- Burnaby Village – special activities for young children from 11:00 am until 2:00 pm on the holiday Monday (February 18, 2019) include unlimited carousel rides. The cost is $6.50 per person. The normally free museum and its historic buildings are closed for the season, however, not including on this day. Space is always limited for this event so pre-registration is recommended. (Details to be confirmed.)
- Burnaby Rec Centres – a variety of activities take place at municipal venues throughout Burnaby on Monday (February 17, 2020) including the following:
- Family Day Winter Festival – at the Bill Copeland Sports Complex at 3676 Kensington Avenue from 9:00 am to 1:30 pm. Activities include a pancake breakfast (by minimum $5 donation), skating for $2 (including skates and helmet rental), live entertainment, face painting and craft activities.
- Family Gym Drop-in – at the Bonsor Recreation Complex at 6550 Bonsor Avenue for children (ages 3 to 12) and their parents from 1:30 until 4:00 pm. Cost is a Loonie per person and activities include things like indoor soccer, basketball, dodgeball and floor hockey. Other activities at Bonsor Recreation Complex include swimming, Zumba, family tree creation and badminton.
- Family Day Fun & Games – for all ages at Cameron Recreation Complex at 9523 Cameron Street. Activities include an imagination playground, table games, arts and crafts and more. Free 1-hour Family Day Fun & Games sessions run from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm. Advanced registration is recommended.
- Family Recreation Time – at Edmonds Community Centre at 7433 Edmonds Street from 9:00 am until 6:30 pm. Various activities run at different times throughout the day. Some are free and others cost $1. Family activities to choose from include gym time, zumba, basketball and racquet sports (where equipment is provided).
- Family Day Toonie Skate – at the Kensington Recreation Complex at 6159 Curtis Street from 6:00 until 8:00 pm. Cost is $2 per person and includes equipment rental.
Family Day on The North Shore
- Grouse Mountain – last year Grouse offered 50% off admission to the mountain for fun in the snow on the Holiday Monday. In 2019, instead, access to the mountain costs $89.95 for a family of four, or $139.95 for ski tickets, but only for February 18th, 2019. (Details to be confirmed.) Family Day activities at Grouse Mountain on the Holiday Monday also include the following:
- Charity Pancake Breakfast (by minimum $5 donation).
- DJ Skate Dance Party
- Complimentary Snowshoe Tours
- Other regular activities including skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, ice skating, sliding zone sliding, sleigh rides, ziplining and the Magical Light Walk.
- Mount Seymour – kids ski for free after 2:30 pm on the Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday with a paying adult (maximum of 2 free kids per paying adult).
- Cypress Mountain – in previous years, Cypress offered 50% off Skooter and Child ski, snowshoe, cross-country and tubing passes starting at 5 pm on the Friday and then all day on the Saturday, Sunday and Monday. As of January 15, 2020, however, it appears that Cypress is NOT offering discounted tickets this year. There are various events happening on the mountain on the Friday through to the Monday, however, including fireworks blasting off at 7 pm on Friday night.
FAMILY DAY SKI TIP
Fresh Snow + Long Weekend + Ski Discounts = Insane Crowds!
There is usually a ton of fresh powder on the mountains, plus it’s a long weekend with ski hills offering special deals including free and discounted ski tickets for kids.
So what does that mean? If you plan to ski on the February 15th to 17th long weekend in 2020, get to the slopes by the crack of dawn! Head out any later and you’ll have a good chance of spending half your day stuck in traffic halfway up the hill! Also, good luck finding parking anywhere close to the top of the hill!
To see how the Lower Mainland’s various ski compare, click Vancouver Ski Hills and Snow Conditions.
- North Van Rec Centres – Toonie swims and skates take place at the following venues on the holiday Monday:
- Delbrook Rec Centre – Toonie swims from 12 to 4 pm and again from 6 to 8 pm. There was also free open gym for folk ages 8+ from 3 until 5:30 pm. (Details to be confirmed.)
- Harry Jerome Rec Centre – Free public swim from 11:30 am to 3:30 pm and free family skates (including rentals) from 11:30 am until 1 pm and again from 1:30 until 3 pm. In addition, there is a free family stick and puck skate from 3:30 to 5 pm. (Details to be confirmed.)
- Karen Magnussen – a free family swim from 1 to 2:30 pm, a Toonie swim for the public from 9 am until 1 pm and 2:30 to 8 pm, a free family skate from 3 to 4:30 pm, public skating for $2 from 1:15 until 2:30 pm, plus $2 stick and puck skates at 9:30 to 11 am (family) and 11:15 to 12:45 (ages 8-15). (Details to be confirmed.)
- Ron Andrews Rec Centre – Free 30 minute family swim lessons starting at 10:30 and 11:00, plus free public swims from 11:30 am to 3:30 pm. (For a full list of Family Day weekend events at the various North Vancouver Recreation Centres click here.) (Details to be confirmed.)
- Capilano Suspension Bridge – a year-long family membership at the attraction cost just $99 plus taxes if purchased on the Family Day Long Weekend. (Last year on the Family Day Long Weekend they cost just $89, but $99 is still a pretty good deal.)
Family Day Events in Richmond
- Richmond Children’s Art Festival – various imagination stations and performances both indoors and outdoors at the Richmond Cultural Centre at 7700 Minoru Gate on Monday, February 17, 2020. General admission is $5 and the range of activities is impressive. Creativity Classes cost $15 and require preregistration.
- Family Day at the Cannery – the cannery is open all weekend and on the Holiday Monday there are canning line machine demonstrations and tours of the facility at set times throughout the day. Free for children ages 17 and under. (Details to be confirmed.)
- Superfam at the Olympic Oval – lots of family-friendly activities take place between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm including skating, the Olympic Experience, fitness circuit access and the showing of the movie Incredibles 2. Admission is free for members or $10 per non-member family. (Details to be confirmed.)
- A wide variety of other activities take place in Richmond on the Family Day Long Weekend. For a comprehensive list that includes events at other community centres and various tourist attractions, see the City of Richmond‘s website.
Family Day Events in Surrey
- Flag Day at Stewart Farm – free crafts, games and tours of the farm house at 13723 Crescent Road in South Surrey on the Monday from 12 until 3 pm.
- Family Day in Surrey – free family-friendly activities take place on Monday, February 17, 2020, at the following locations: at Chuck Bailey Recreation Centre, Cloverdale Recreation Centre, Fleetwood Community Centre, Newton Recreation Centre, Guildford Recreation Centre and South Surrey Recreation Centre.
Family Day Events in New Westminster
- Family Day in New Westminster – free and almost free family-friendly activities take place at the following locations most years (2020 details to be confirmed.):
- Queensborough Community Centre – at 920 Ewen Avenue from 9:30 until 11:30 am on the stat holiday. Activities here included a bouncy castle and crafts, plus free admission to the fitness centre.
- Centennial Community Centre – at 65 East Sixth Avenue from 9:00 am until noon on the Holiday Monday. Free activities include a family “drop in time” at the gym, crafts and access to various fitness activities at different times.
- Moody Park Arena – free public skating and skate rentals at 701 Eighth Avenue between 12:30 and 3 pm and again from 6:00 until 8:00 pm on the Monday.
- Canada Games Pool – free fitness centre access at 65 East Sixth Avenue from 11:30 am until 3:30 pm on the Monday, and free public swimming from 11:30 am until 8:00 pm. Activities in the pool include duck races down the water slide and other family-friendly activities.
- Family Fun Zone at Anvil Centre – free music, live entertainment, crafts and games at 777 Columbia Street between 11 am and 3 pm on the Monday. It’s an impressive event in a large facility with lots of things to do. It’s also close to other New West Family activities just down the street. (Details to be confirmed.)
- River Market – balloon animals, crafts, face painting, games and Vancouver Circus School performances at 810 Quayside Drive from 11 am until 3 pm on the Monday in 2020.
Family Day in the Sea to Sky Region
- Britannia Mine – the museum offers 50% off admission on the holiday Monday.
- Sea to Sky Gondola – the attraction offers half price admission for everyone every day of the Long Weekend most years. In 2020 that means a 50% discount on the Saturday, Sunday and Monday of February 15th to 17th. (Note: the 50% discount applies to individual prices at the gate, so you can’t get 50% off the already discounted family rate.)
- Whistler-Blackcomb – in past years the resort offered 50% off downhill ski rates for residents of BC, but not, apparently, in 2020. Instead, this year they are offering other discounted deals on the Holiday Monday on ski rentals, bobsledding, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and ice skating.
Family Day in the Fraser Valley
- Sasquatch Mountain – regular full-day ski passes are half price on the Holiday Monday. (Details to be confirmed.)
- Fort Langley – Family Day activities including bannock-making takes place on the holiday Monday in 2019. See the Fort Langley website for details. (Details to be confirmed.)
- Spirit of the People Powwow – an indoor First Nations’ event showcasing Indigenous dancing, drumming and culture at a secondary school at 46363 Yale Road in Chilliwack. The event runs on both the Saturday and Sunday in 2019 between 1:00 and 7:00 pm. Open to the public and all are welcome. Free admission. (Details to be confirmed.)
- Canadian Museum of Flight – the airplane museum at 5333 216th Street in Langley is offering free admission and extra activities on Monday, February 18th, in 2019. (Details to be confirmed.)
Family Day in Other Parts of Town
Special Family Day Weekend activities also take place in the following municipalities (among others):
Family Day in Delta
- In 2019 there are lots of great Family Day events to join at the various recreation centres including swimming, cooking classes, skating and art activities. Fees, however, may apply. Click Delta 2019 Family Day Activities for details. (2020 details to be confirmed.)
Family Day in Maple Ridge
- Family Day in Maple Ridge – 2019 activities include free arts and crafts activities at the ACTS Art Centre on Monday, February 18th. Tickets to see the performance by children’s entertainer Jacky Essombe cost $15 for adults and $10 for children. Her show features music, dancing and stories from Cameroon and Guinea in Africa. (Details to be confirmed.)
Family Day in Port Moody
- Family Day Skate – free skating at the Port Moody Rec Centre from 12 to 4 pm on the Holiday Monday in 2020.
- Working on the Railroad – in past years the Port Moody Station Museum hosted a special Family Day event on the Holiday Monday from 10 am to 2 pm at a cost of about $10 per family. It will NOT be doing so, however, in 2020. Instead the museum will be closed on the statutory holiday this year.
Family Day in White Rock
- Free Family Skate in White Rock – free stick and puck (10:45 to 11:30) and free family skate (11:45 to 1:00) at Centennial Arena at 14600 North Bluff Road on the Holiday Monday. Skate rentals and snacks are included. (Details to be confirmed.)
Other Great Places for Families
- Check out Vancouver’s top indoor activities which are great places to visit any time of year, especially if it’s a rainy weekend in February.
- The skiing this year has been pretty good. If we continue to get new snow, a fabulous place to spend the holiday weekend is up at the Lower Mainland’s ski hills.
- If the weather is good then the Family Day long weekend can be an excellent time to enjoy time outdoors. Check out Vancouver’s best places in parks and nature for a list of the best places to go, or take a Frisbee – not your swimsuit – and spend the day hanging out at one of Vancouver’s best beaches.
- Also, if the weather’s good and you’re looking for a bit of exercise, check out Vancouver’s best places to walk, jog or cycle.