Looking for something to do on the BC Family Day Long Weekend in February 2020 in Vancouver? There are so many fun activities to choose from.
In 2020 the Family Day Long Weekend takes place February 15th to 17th. For a comprehensive list of things happening on each of those days, see our post about What’s Happening This Weekend in Vancouver? To learn about top Family Day activities in 2020, however, continue reading.
Family Day Activities in Vancouver
Depending on what you like to do, and who to do it with, you are sure to find something you’ll like from the list below of great Family Day weekend activities and places to visit.
Family Day activities listed in this article include events in the following municipalities:
Click any of the above locations to jump to events in a particular region, or simply continue reading to see what’s going on throughout the Lower Mainland.
Note: Event times and details are subject to change.
SOAR OVER TAIWAN
Want to go for an exotic family trip overseas without leaving the Lower Mainland? Then check out Soar Over Taiwan at FlyOver Canada. The multi-sensory show runs only until February 17th and it’s amazing!
See both the Taiwanese film and the Canadian one and save 50% on the second show. Click Lunar New Year FlyOver Canada Films for details.
Special Events for Family Day 2020
In 2020 the following special Family Day activities take place in the Lower Mainland:
Vancouver Family Day Events
- Fan Expo – the Cosplay/Comi-Con-type event takes place at the Vancouver Convention Centre all weekend and is fun for both families and adult comic and superhero fans.
- Museum of Vancouver – free admission on the holiday Monday between 10 and 5 pm.
- Family Day Festival in Marpole – free bouncy toys, balloons, face painting, games and live entertainment at the Marpole Community Centre at 990 West 59th Avenue on Saturday, February 15th, 2020, from 11 am until 2 pm. Advanced registration not required.
- Family Day at Trout Lake – a free Family Festival at the Trout Lake Community Centre from 11 am to 3 pm on Monday, February 17th, 2020. Activities include skating, gym time, live entertainment, bouncy castle, crafts and more.
- Soar Over Taiwan – the multi-sensory film at FlyOver Canada shows at Canada Place all weekend. It’s more of a Lunar New Year-themed event than a specifically “Family Day” event. It’s an exceptional activity for families though, and Monday February 17th is its last day of the 2020 season!
- BC Sports Hall of Fame – admission to the museum is free on the holiday Monday from 11 am until 3 pm.
- Family Day at the Aquarium – admission to the Vancouver Aquarium is free for children under the age of 13 during the entire Family Day Long Weekend (so from Saturday, February 15th, until Monday, February 17th, in 2020.)
Family Day in Burnaby
- Burnaby Rec Centres – a variety of activities take place at municipal venues throughout Burnaby on Monday (February 17, 2020) including the following:
- Family Day Winter Festival – at the Bill Copeland Sports Complex at 3676 Kensington Avenue from 9:00 am to 1:30 pm. Activities include a pancake breakfast (by minimum $5 donation), skating for $2 (including skates and helmet rental), live entertainment, face painting and craft activities.
- Family Gym Drop-in – at the Bonsor Recreation Complex at 6550 Bonsor Avenue children and their parents in the afternoon. Cost is a Loonie per person for some activities (e.g., Zumba dancing and family gym drop in) but regular rates for other things (like swimming and badminton).
- Family Day Fun & Games – for all ages at Cameron Recreation Complex at 9523 Cameron Street. Activities last year included an imagination playground, table games, arts and crafts and more. 2020 activities will likely be similar and they run from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm. Advanced registration is recommended.
- Family Recreation Time – at Edmonds Community Centre at 7433 Edmonds Street from 9:00 am until 6:30 pm. Various activities run at different times throughout the day. Some are free and others cost a loonie. Family gym drop-in activities are free and run from 9:00 am until noon. Zumba dancing costs $1 per participant and goes from 11:45 until 12:30. Family soccer and badminton games take place in the afternoon and are free.
- Family Day Toonie Skate – at the Kensington Recreation Complex at 6159 Curtis Street from 6:00 until 8:00 pm. Cost is $2 per person and includes equipment rental.
Family Day on The North Shore
- Grouse Mountain – a couple of years ago Grouse offered 50% off admission to the mountain for fun in the snow on the Holiday Monday. In 2019, instead, access to the mountain cost $89.95 for a family of four, or $139.95 for ski tickets, but only for the holiday Monday. In 2020 it appears that there are no discounted rates for access to the resort at all on the Family Day weekend (or at least not when we last checked). There are special activities at Grouse Mountain on the Holiday Monday, however, including the following (but you still have to pay for general admission):
- Charity Pancake Breakfast (by minimum $5 donation).
- Complimentary Snowshoe Tours
- Other regular activities including skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, ice skating, sliding zone sliding, sleigh rides and the Magical Light Walk.
- Mount Seymour – kids ski for free after 2:30 pm on the Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday with a paying adult (maximum of 2 free kids per paying adult).
- Cypress Mountain – in previous years, Cypress offered 50% off Skooter and Child ski, snowshoe, cross-country and tubing passes starting at 5 pm on the Friday and then all day on the Saturday, Sunday and Monday. As of January 15, 2020, however, it appears that Cypress is NOT offering discounted tickets this year. There are various events happening on the mountain on the Friday through to the Monday, however, including fireworks blasting off at 7 pm on the Friday night.
FAMILY DAY SKI TIP
Long Weekend + Ski Discounts + Special Activities = Insane Crowds!
If you plan to ski on the February 15th to 17th long weekend in 2020, get to the slopes by the crack of dawn! Head out any later and you’ll have a good chance of spending half your day stuck in traffic halfway up the mountain!
To see how the Lower Mainland’s various ski resorts compare, click Vancouver Ski Hills and Snow Conditions.
- North Van Rec Centres – toonie swims and skates have taken place at the venues listed below on the holiday Monday in previous years. In 2020, however, there are a variety of activities (many of which are free).
- Delbrook Rec Centre – public swims from 12:00 to 4:00 pm and again from 6:00 to 8:00 pm on February 17th in 2020. There is also an open gym for folk ages 8+ from noon until 1:30 pm and then again from 3:30 until 5:30 pm, plus family badminton for folk ages 7+ from 1:45 until 3:15 .
- Harry Jerome Rec Centre – there is a public swim from 11:30 am to 3:30 pm and a family skate from 11:30 am until 1:00 pm and again from 1:30 until 3:00 pm in 2020. In addition, there is a family stick and puck skate from 3:30 to 5:00 pm.
- Karen Magnussen – this year there is public swimming from 9:00 am to 2:30 pm and then again from 4:00 until 8:00, and a family swim time from 2:30 until 4:00 pm. Family skating is from 1:15 to 2:45 pm (where there is also hot chocolate, games and crafts), and public skating from 3:15 until 4:45 (when there are games, balloon animal-making and face-painting opportunities too). Stick and puck skates run from 9:30 to 11:00 am (for families) and from 11:15 am until 12:45 pm (for ages 8-14).
- Ron Andrews Rec Centre – on February 17th there are free family swim lessons starting at 10:30 and 11:00 am, plus free public swims from 11:30 am to 3:30 pm.
- Capilano Suspension Bridge – in 2020 a year-long family membership at the attraction costs $99 plus taxes if purchased online on the Family Day Long Weekend (or $109 if purchased at the gate).
Family Day Events in the Fraser Valley
In the Fraser Valley there are events taking place in both Chilliwack and Abbotsford.
- Fort Langley Historic Half Marathon – running races between 1 and 21 km in length in Fort Langley on Sunday, February 16, 2020.
- Pet Lover Show – a domestic animal trade show at the Abbotsford Tradex Centre at 1190 Cornell Street on February 15 and 16. Expect to see lots of cats, dogs and other pets.
- Spirit of the People Family Day Powwow – an Indigenous event in Chilliwack featuring dancing, drumming and other cultural activities at Chilliwack Secondary School at 46363 Yale Road. The event takes place on the Saturday and Sunday of February 15 and 16, 2020, (so not on the holiday Monday).
Family Day Events in Richmond
- Richmond Children’s Art Festival – various imagination stations and performances both indoors and outdoors take place at the Richmond Cultural Centre at 7700 Minoru Gate on Monday, February 17, 2020. General admission is $5 and the range of activities is impressive. Creativity Classes cost $15 and require preregistration.
- Family Day at the Cannery – the cannery is open all weekend and on the Holiday Monday there are canning line machine demonstrations and tours of the facility at set times throughout the day. Free for children ages 17 and under.
- A wide variety of other activities take place in Richmond on the Family Day Long Weekend. For a comprehensive list that includes events at other community centres and various tourist attractions, see the City of Richmond‘s website.
Family Day Events in Surrey
- Family Day at Stewart Farm – free crafts, games and tours of the farmhouse at 13723 Crescent Road in South Surrey on the Monday from 12 until 3 pm.
- Family Day in Surrey – free family-friendly activities take place on Monday, February 17, 2020 at the following locations: Chuck Bailey Recreation Centre, Cloverdale Recreation Centre, Fleetwood Community Centre, Newton Recreation Centre, Guildford Recreation Centre and South Surrey Recreation Centre.
Family Day Events in New Westminster
- Family Day in New Westminster – free and almost free family-friendly activities take place at the following locations most years (with 2020 details to be confirmed):
- Queensborough Community Centre – at 920 Ewen Avenue on the stat holiday. Activities here in the past have included a bouncy castle and crafts, plus free admission to the fitness centre.
- Centennial Community Centre – at 65 East Sixth Avenue on the Holiday Monday. Free activities in past years have included a family “drop in time” at the gym, crafts and access to various fitness activities at different times.
- Moody Park Arena – free public skating and skate rentals at 701 Eighth Avenue have happened on the Monday in past years.
- Canada Games Pool – free fitness centre access and public swimming have been offered on the Monday in the past at 65 East Sixth Avenue venue. Activities in the pool have included duck races down the water slide and other family-friendly activities.
- Family Fun Zone at Anvil Centre – free live entertainment, crafts and games at 777 Columbia Street between 11 am and 3 pm on the Monday.
ENTERTAINMENT COUPON BOOKS COST JUST $14!
Looking to save money? Up until Valentine’s Day, Lower Mainland editions of the Entertainment Book cost just $14 (US) if purchased online. You can’t use the 2-for-1 coupons on special days and holidays (like February 14th or the Family Day Monday), but you can every other day of the year. The savings are considerable! Click the above banner ad to buy your copy, or see our article about the Entertainment Coupon Deals for details about the book.
Family Day in the Sea to Sky Region
- Britannia Mine – the museum offers 50% off admission on the holiday Monday.
- Sea to Sky Gondola – the attraction offers half price admission for everyone every day of the Long Weekend most years. In 2020 that means a 50% discount on the Saturday, Sunday and Monday of February 15th to 17th. (Note: the 50% discount applies to individual prices at the gate, so you can’t get 50% off the already discounted family rate.)
- Whistler-Blackcomb – in past years the resort has sometimes offered 50% off downhill ski rates for residents of BC, but not, apparently, in 2020. Instead, this year they are offering other discounted deals on the Holiday Monday including on ski rentals, cross-country skiing, and ice skating, plus other activities for kids on the holiday Monday.
Family Day in Maple Ridge
Special Family Day Weekend activities also include the following in Maple Ridge:
- Family Day in Maple Ridge – free family-friendly activities take place at the ACTS Art Centre on Monday, February 17th, between 11:00 am and 3:00 pm.
Other Great Places for Families
- Check out Vancouver’s top indoor activities which are great places to visit any time of year, especially if it’s a rainy weekend in February.
- The skiing this year has been pretty good. If we continue to get new snow, a fabulous place to spend the holiday weekend is up at the Lower Mainland’s ski hills.
- If the weather is good then the Family Day long weekend can be an excellent time to enjoy time outdoors. Check out Vancouver’s best places in parks and nature for a list of the best places to go, or take a Frisbee – not your swimsuit – and spend the day hanging out at one of Vancouver’s best beaches.
- Also, if the weather’s good and you’re looking for a bit of exercise, check out Vancouver’s best places to walk, jog or cycle.