Rock Ambleside is an outdoor classic rock music festival that’s held at West Vancouver’s Ambleside Park in August. In 2019 it takes place on August 16-18.
This article contains the following information:
Click on any of the above links to jump to a specific topic, or continue reading to learn all about Rock Ambleside.
West Vancouver’s Ambleside Rock Music Festival
Ambleside Live is a music festival series that has been taking place near the waterfront in West Vancouver since 2013.
The event attracts an older crowd and showcases popular rock bands from yesteryear. In 2018 Rock Ambleside Park featured Loverboy, Chilliwack, Kim Mitchell, Trooper, Doug & the Slugs, Toronto, the Little River Band and Nazareth. In 2019 bands include Tom Cochrane with Red Rider, Honeymoon Suite, Quiet Riot, the Headpins, Sass Jordan and other great favourites of yesteryear.
Where and When
The festival takes place each year around the third weekend of August. In 2019 the dates are August 16th, 17th and 18th. The event usually runs from 5:00 until 10:00 pm on the Friday, and from 2:30 until 10:00 pm on the Saturday and Sunday.
Admission to Rock Ambleside in 2018 cost the following:
- Full Weekend Pass: $155.50* (and in 2019 it looks like it’ll be $165.50)
- Single Day Pass: $64.50*
Parking can be purchased in advance for about $30 for a single day or $94 for the full weekend. (Note: we’re not sure why full weekend parking cost more than 3 times the price of a single day.)
VIP Tickets were also available last year for $449.50 plus taxes and fees (and 2019 prices look like they’ll be the same). Included in the price last year were a complimentary parking pass, festival T-shirt, and non-alcoholic beverages and appetizers prior to the show. VIP Ticket holders also got access to the VIP area and expedited entrance line, as well as a chance to (possibly) meet some of the artists.
Children under the age of 13 are free in the general admission area when accompanied by a paying adult.
(*) Note: Fees do not include taxes and extra fees. $64.50 Single Day Passes, for example, actually cost around $85 last year after adding all the various surcharges.
Bands performing in 2019 include Blue Oyster Cult, David Wilcox, Honeymoon Suite, Quiet Riot, SAGA, Tom Cochrane with Red Rider, The Romantics, Pat Travers, Headpins, Sass Jordan and Streetheart. Between them, over the years, these groups have collected 24 platinum and 15 gold records as well as 12 JUNOs! It’s an impressive lineup!
The Rock Ambleside schedule of events for 2018 is listed below (recognizing that times and performer details are subject to change):
Friday, August 17, 2018
- 5:00 pm – Gates Open
- 6:00 pm – Lee Aaron: a Canadian rocker whose 1980’s and early 90’s hits included “Whatcha Do to My Body”, “Metal Queen” and “Sex with Love.”
- 7:15 pm – Sweet: a British glam rock band
- 8:30 pm – Loverboy: the Canadian rock band originally from Calgary but now based in Vancouver. Some of their most famous songs include “Turn Me Loose” and “Working for the Weekend”.
Saturday, August 18, 2018
- 2:30 pm – Gates Open
- 3:30 pm – Rik Emmett: a founding member of the Canadian rock ban Triumph.
- 5:00 pm – Chilliwack: the progressive Canadian rock band with lead singer Bill Henderson. Hit songs from the group include “My Girl”, “Whatcha Gonna Do” and “Crazy Talk”.
- 6:40 pm – Kim Mitchell: the Canadian singer and songwriter famous for his 1984 single “Go For Soda”.
- 8:30 pm – Trooper: a Vancouver-based rock band whose hits include “Raise a Little Hell”, “We’re Here for a Good Time” and “The Boys in the Bright White Sports Car”.
Sunday, August 19, 2018
- 2:30 pm – Gates Open
- 3:30 pm – Doug & The Slugs: a Vancouver band that was famous for songs like “Making It Work” from 1983 and “Tomcat Prowl” from 1988.
- 5:00 pm – Toronto: an Ontario-based band whose songs include “Your Daddy Don’t Know” and “What About Love”.
- 6:40 pm – Little River Band: an Australian band known for their 1977 hit “Help Is on Its Way”.
- 8:30 pm – Nazareth: a Scottish band whose hits include “Hair of the Dog” and “Love Hurts”.
2018 Rock Ambleside Concert Video
Below is footage for one of the concerts at Rock Ambleside in 2018.
It’s not every day that the lead singer of a major rock band comes down off the stage to be with the crowd to sing, but that’s what Paulie Z from Sweet did in 2018. What a great concert it was!
Things to Know
Below are some good things to know before heading to the festival.
- The event takes place rain or shine and tickets are non-refundable. Take your umbrella if precipitation is in the forecast (although oversized golf and beach umbrellas are not permitted).
- Re-entry is allowed up until 9:30 pm, so you can enter and leave the venue as you like up until that time, but not after. Also, if leaving, don’t forget your wristband or hand stamp.
- Smoking and pets are not permitted at the venue.
- Expect to have your bags and other personal belongings searched upon entry.
- Professional cameras (i.e., with detachable lenses) and recording devices are prohibited.
- Take your own blanket or lawn chair to sit on (unless spending extra for the VIP seating).
- Outside food and beverages are not permitted. Empty plastic and metal water bottles, however, are allowed.
For further details about the 2018 Ambleside Live event, see the Rock Ambleside website.
For more information about the area, click any of the following: