Outdoor swimming pools provide fun ways to cool down. Some of the best in the region offer ocean views, slides and other amenities for families to enjoy.
STATUS OF POOLS
As of early June, 2021, most outdoor pools in Metro Vancouver have opened for the summer season. For more information and the most up-to-date status of each location, please refer to their respective websites.
Lower Mainland Outdoor Swimming Pools
Metro Vancouver is home to over two dozen outdoor pools, many of which offer lessons and activities to participate in throughout the summer. The pools at New Brighton Park, Kitsilano and Second Beach boast stunning ocean and other waterfront views, whereas many others are located in more urban areas. Each outdoor pool has its own perks that appeal to swimmers in different ways.
Best Public Outdoor Pools
In our opinion, some of the best outdoor pools in the Lower Mainland are the following:
- Bear Creek Outdoor Pool – located in Surrey’s Bear Creek Park, this pool is free to swim in.
- Centennial Outdoor Pool – home of the Abbotsford Whalers and part of beautiful Mill Lake Park. Unfortunately, the pool is closed until 2022 due to renovations.
- Central Park Pool – a six-lane pool in Burnaby’s scenic urban Central Park. In order to limit capacity you must register online for a timeslot to swim as of early June 2021
- Kitsilano Pool – this heated saltwater pool in Kitsilano is close to the beach and features a couple of slides. You must register in advance online to swim as of early June 2021
- Moody Park – located in New Westminster, this swimming facility has a diving area and a small poolside climbing wall.
- New Brighton Pool – a heated pool with beautiful harbour views and a gradual entry for children. Tickets must be bought online before going to the pool as of early June 2021
- Rocky Point Park – this Port Moody pool is located not far from the Burrard Inlet shore.
- Second Beach Pool – with views of English Bay, this heated pool is near the seawall concession at Second Beach in Stanley Park. Like with some other pools on this list, you must register a spot in advance as of early June 2021.
- Steveston Outdoor Pool – a heated pool with bleacher seating and a small slide in Richmond’s Steveston Village.
More articles that may be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver’s Best Beaches
- Best Parks and Nature
- Summer Activities in the Lower Mainland
- Vancouver on a Budget
- Best Places for Children
- Lower Mainland Water Slides