Outdoor swimming pools provide fun ways to cool down. Some of the best in the region offer ocean views, slides and other amenities for families to enjoy.
STATUS OF POOLS
Most outdoor pools in Metro Vancouver are open for the summer season in 2022. The Kitsilano pool was damaged by storms earlier this year, but the park board hopes to reopen the pool on July 30th. For more information and the exact schedules for each location, please refer to their respective websites.
Lower Mainland Outdoor Swimming Pools
Metro Vancouver is home to over two dozen outdoor pools, many of which offer lessons and activities to participate in throughout the summer. The pools at New Brighton Park, Kitsilano and Second Beach boast stunning ocean and other waterfront views, whereas many others are located in more urban areas. Each outdoor pool has its own perks that appeal to swimmers in different ways.
Best Public Outdoor Pools
In our opinion, some of the best outdoor pools in the Lower Mainland are the following:
- Bear Creek Outdoor Pool – located in Surrey’s Bear Creek Park, this pool is free to swim in. The pool opened for the season on May 16th in 2022.
- Centennial Outdoor Pool – home of the Abbotsford Whalers and part of beautiful Mill Lake Park.
- Central Park Pool – a six-lane pool in Burnaby’s scenic urban Central Park. In 2022 the pool is operating as of May 21st.
- Kitsilano Pool – this heated saltwater pool in Kitsilano is close to the beach and features a couple of slides. Storms in January 2022 caused damages to the pool. If all goes well, the pool will likely reopen on July 30th.
- Moody Park – located in New Westminster, this swimming facility has a diving area and a small poolside climbing wall. In 2022 it’s open as of April 23rd. Reservations are recommended.
- New Brighton Pool – a heated pool with beautiful harbour views and a gradual entry for children. In 2022 the pool opened on May 21st.
- Rocky Point Park – this Port Moody pool is located not far from the Burrard Inlet shore. The pool is open as of June 20th in 2022.
- Second Beach Pool – with views of English Bay, this heated pool is near the seawall concession at Second Beach in Stanley Park.
- Steveston Outdoor Pool – a heated pool with bleacher seating and a small slide in Richmond’s Steveston Village. The pool opened for the season on May 21st.
More articles that may be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver’s Best Beaches
- Best Parks and Nature
- Summer Activities in the Lower Mainland
- Vancouver on a Budget
- Best Places for Children
- Lower Mainland Water Slides