Outdoor swimming pools provide fun ways to cool down. Some of the best in the region offer ocean views, slides and other amenities for families to enjoy.
Lower Mainland Outdoor Swimming Pools
Metro Vancouver is home to over two dozen outdoor pools, many of which offer lessons and activities to participate in throughout the summer. The pools at New Brighton Park, Kitsilano and Second Beach boast stunning ocean and other waterfront views, whereas many others are located in more urban areas. Each outdoor pool has its own perks that appeal to swimmers in different ways.
Best Public Outdoor Pools
In our opinion, some of the best outdoor pools in the Lower Mainland are the following:
City of Vancouver Outdoor Pools
- Kitsilano Pool – this heated saltwater pool in Kitsilano is close to the beach and features a couple of slides.
- New Brighton Pool – a heated pool with beautiful harbour views and a gradual entry for children. In 2023 the pool opened for the season on May 20th.
- Second Beach Pool – with views of English Bay, this heated pool is near the seawall concession at Second Beach in Stanley Park. The opening date for the 2023 season was May 20th.
Other Lower Mainland Pools
- Bear Creek Outdoor Pool – located in Surrey’s Bear Creek Park, this pool is free to swim in. In 2023 the pool opened on May 15th and closed for the season on September 4th.
- Centennial Outdoor Pool – home of the Abbotsford Whalers and part of beautiful Mill Lake Park. The pool opened for the season on May 1st, 2023.
- Central Park Pool – a six-lane pool in Burnaby’s scenic urban Central Park. In 2023 the pool opened for the season on May 20th.
- Moody Park – located in New Westminster, this swimming facility has a diving area and a small poolside climbing wall. In 2023 the pool opened on April 22nd. Reservations are recommended.
- Rocky Point Park – this Port Moody pool isn’t far from the Burrard Inlet shore. The pool opened for the season on June 19th in 2023.
- Steveston Outdoor Pool – a heated pool with bleacher seating and a small slide in Richmond’s Steveston Village. The pool opened for the 2023 season on May 20th.
More articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver’s Best Beaches
- Best Parks and Nature
- Summer Activities in the Lower Mainland
- Vancouver on a Budget
- Best Places for Children
- Lower Mainland Water Slides