The Vancouver South African Film Festival is a non-profit event showcasing films about the history and culture of South Africa at the end of March.
FILM FESTIVAL CANCELLED
Due to the coronavirus the 2020 Vancouver South African Film Festival has been postponed to a later date. To see other events that have been cancelled and postponed click Vancouver Cancellations Due To Coronavirus.
Vancouver South African Film Festival
The Vancouver South African Film Festival was supposed to celebrate its 10th year in 2020. It is an event that features documentaries and films about life in South Africa and the history and politics that have affected the country.
In 2020 the festival was going to take place at the Goldcorp Centre for the Arts located in the SFU Woodwards building at 149 West Hastings Street in Gastown. It is a non-profit event run by volunteers and it raises money for the charity Education without Borders which supports poor, disadvantaged and at-risk children.
2020 Film Festival Prices
Regular films at the South African Film Festival cost between about $16 and $22 per movie. There is also an opening night gala which costs about $58 for the gala plus the accompanying opening night film. Festival passes that allow guests to see all shows during the weekend are also available.
There were two price options for full festival passes in 2020 with one including the gala and another for just the festival. A pass for the festival including the gala costs about $153. A pass for just the festival without the gala is about $116. These passes include access to all the films for the entire weekend.
For tickets and more information see the VSAFF website.
2020 Festival Schedule
Below were the dates, events, films and prices for the South African Film Festival in 2020. (Note: times, locations and other details are subject to change. Prices are inclusive of taxes and online fees.)
Friday, March 27, 2020
- Opening Night Gala Party – at Spaces Gastown at 151 West Hastings Street.
- SKIN (Opening Night Movie) – at SFU’s Goldcorp Centre for the Arts ($26.84)
Saturday, March 28, 2020
- Sides of A Horn + Rooibos Restitution – shows at the Goldcorp Centre at 11:30 am (16.34)
- Pili – shows at the Goldcorp Centre at 1:30 pm ($16.34)
- Life is Wonderful – shows at the Goldcorp Centre at 4:00 pm ($16.34)
- Picture Perfect Heist + Back of the Moon – shows at the Goldcorp Centre at 7:00 pm ($21.59)
Sunday, March 29, 2020
- Soft Vengeance – shows at the Goldcorp Centre at 11:00 am ($16.34)
- Soft Landings + iZulu Lami – shows at the Goldcorp Centre at 1:30 pm ($16.34)
- Good Hope – shows at the Goldcorp Centre at 4:00 pm ($16.34)
- Asimbonganga + Flatland – shows at the Goldcorp Centre at 7:00 pm ($21.59)
AFRICAN BREESE IS A PROUD SPONSOR
African Breese is an online specialty food store with physical locations at 3654 West 4th Avenue in Vancouver as well as at 1054 Marine Drive in North Vancouver. Run by a South African-Canadian family, the locally-owned company is a sponsor of the film festival’s Opening Gala. It is also proud to support the Vancouver South African Film Festival by being a sponsor of this article.
Education without Borders
Education without Borders is a Vancouver-based non-profit organization that provides access to educational resources for disadvantaged children and youth in both Canada and South Africa. Founded in 1971, the charity has assisted with building a school in South Africa and implemented many after-school educational programs including ones about math, English, science and leadership.
In Canada, Education without Borders has partnered with other organizations to create the Indigenous Storybook Canada Project which works to translate books into local Indigenous languages.
To date, the Vancouver South African Film Festival has raised around $100,000 for Education without Borders.
For more information on the festival click Vancouver South African Film Festival.
To find out more about the charity the festival raises money for see the Education without Borders website.
Other Vancouver’s Best Places articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver’s March Calendar
- Vancouver’s April Calendar
- Vancouver Shows & Entertainment
- Vancouver Movies
- Vancouver Theatre Venues & Companies
- Vancouver International Film Festival