Chor Leoni is an award-winning Vancouver-based men’s choir that performs concerts at venues like St. Andrew’s Wesley United Church and UBC’s Chan Centre.
CHRISTMAS CONCERTS IN 2022
The choir has Christmas concerts on December 16th, 17th and 19th this year.
For tickets and full details about this year’s concerts visit chorleoni.org.
Chor Leoni Men’s Choir
Chor Leoni was founded in 1992 by Diane Loomer, a choral instructor who received the Order of Canada. Over the following decades Chor Leoni has won numerous accolades including the Margaret Hillis Award for Choral Excellence in 2019. That award is one of the highest honours such a choir can receive!
The exact number of singers changes depending on the season, but there can be upwards of around 60 vocalists or more, all male. During non-pandemic years the choir performs regular concerts attended by thousands of audience members over the course of the season.
After having to stop performances for over a year due to COVID concerns, Chor Leoni returned for its 2021/22 season in the fall of 2021. The choir’s 2022/23 season begins in November.
For the choir’s official website visit chorleoni.org.
2022/2023 Season Concerts
The 2022/23 Chor Leoni season begins in November and likely runs until May 2023. Single tickets are on sale for most shows as of September 28th. Ticket packs for three, four or five concerts are also available at discounted rates.
Below is the schedule for this season. All but one concert takes place at St. Andrew’s-Wesley United Church at 1022 Nelson Street in downtown Vancouver. The VanMan Summit Concert is the exception as it happens at the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts at UBC.
- We Sang Our Songs: Chor Leoni starts their season with Remembrance Day performances on November 10th and 11th at St. Andrew’s Wesley United Church in 2022. Single tickets cost between about $20 and $50.
- Christmas with Chor Leoni: their annual Christmas concert series takes place at St. Andrew’s-Wesley United Church on December 16th, 17th and 19th in 2022. Tickets begin at $20 and cost up to $50.
Chor Leoni Concerts in 2023
The following concerts happen in 2023.
- Popcappella III: an upbeat, instrument-heavy show that takes on some of the biggest pop hits. This concert happens on March 3rd and 4th in 2023. Tickets range from $20 to $50.
- The Turning: Chor Leoni performs in tandem with the Leonids which is a related professional ensemble. The show is on May 11th, 2023. Tickets cost between $20 and $50.
- VanMan Summit Concert: Chor Leoni is part of a massive co-operative night of music at the Chan Centre with around 300 singers participating on stage. This event takes place on May 13th, 2023, and costs between $30 and $50.
- C/4: Canadian Choral Composition Competition: the choir performs music created by three different Canadian composers in a celebration of local music. The one-night-only show is on June 2nd, 2023. General admission is $30.
For more information about the choir visit the Chor Leoni website.
The photos in this article are by David Cooper (of the choir at the beach) and Phil Jack (at St. Andrew’s Wesley and at the VanMan Summit Concert.)
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Lower Mainland Choirs and Music
- Vancouver Shows and Entertainment
- Vancouver Calendar of Events
- Entertainment in Vancouver