There are also many other fine choral groups, like the Vancouver Welsh Men’s Choir, plus organizations like the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra.
PERFORMING ARTS & COVID-19
Choirs and other performing arts groups from around the world have been devastated by the outbreak of the coronavirus. Unable to sell tickets, perform in public or even practice as a group in-person, musical organizations are struggling. Vancouver-based choirs are no exception. Even church choirs aren’t performing!
To learn how the pandemic is impacting all kinds of organizations around the Lower Mainland, click Vancouver, COVID-19, Event Cancellations and Venue Closures.
Vancouver Music Organizations
Top professional choirs, choral ensembles and other musical performing groups in Vancouver include the following:
Some of the Lower Mainland’s exceptional and highly recommended amateur choirs include the following:
- Vancouver Oratorio Choir – a large choir of Christian vocalists and musicians.
- Vancouver Welsh Men’s Choir – a large male voice choir.
- VOC Soul Gospel Choir – a large choir specializing in Soul and Gospel let by accomplished musician Checo Tohomaso.
- Good Noise Vancouver Gospel Choir – the choir in residence at Christ Church Anglican Cathedral.
- Marcus Mosley Chorale – a choral group with over 60 members and led by the very accomplished Marcus Mosley.
- City Soul Choir – a secular community choir with over 100 members and led by music director Brian Tate.
- Top Line Vocal Collective – a 40-member non-denominational vocal ensemble that singes a range of pop, rhythm & blues, soul and gospel.
- Universal Gospel Choir – Vancouver’s longest-running community-based gospel choir with 60+ members.
For a list of upcoming performances, see individual choir websites or check out Vancouver’s Shows & Entertainment Calendar.
Other events and special performances you might be interested in include the following:
- TD Vancouver International Jazz Festival – a large music festival in late June and early July that features a number of choirs along with a wide assortment of jazz bands and performers.
- Symphony in the Park – a free performance by the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra at Deer Lake Park in early July.
- Yule Duel: Caroling for a Cause – an outdoor event featuring close to two dozen choirs in early December in downtown Vancouver.
Many festive winter season concerts take place throughout the Lower Mainland in December each year as well. Click Vancouver Christmas Concerts for more details.