The Vancouver Chamber Choir is a professional twenty-member vocal ensemble conducted by Kari Turunen. Upcoming concert performances are listed below.
2022 and 2023 concerts have been announced.
2022 Chamber Choir Concerts
Note: As of early October, the following concerts are scheduled to happen during the 2022 to 2023 season. Exact dates and details are subject to change.
- October 14th, 2022 – TIME BENDS: a concert featuring the world premiere of Runs deep, bends time by Peter Hannan at St. James Community Square at 7:30 pm.
- November 4th, 2022 – CECILIA: commemorating the November Feast Day with works by Cecilia Livingston, Cecilia McDowall and Cecilia Damström at Pacific Spirit United Church at 7:30 pm.
- November 27th, 2022 – A CHORAL FEAST: a collaborative celebration featuring Laudate Singers, the Phoenix Chamber Choir, the Vancouver Youth Choir, and more. Happens at the Orpheum Theatre at 2:30 pm.
- December 16th, 2022 – CHRISTMAS BY CANDLELIGHT: Christmas-related works from Matthews Whittall, Giovanni Gabrieli and John Tavener at Pacific Spirit United Church at 6:30 and 8:30 pm.
- January 20th, 2023 – UNDER THE NORTH STAR: an immersive audio and visual experience at 6:00 and 8:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre.
- February 10th, 2023 – THE BAROQUE AFFECT: the Conductors’ Symposium showcase with the works from the Baroque era featuring Christina Hutten at Pacific United Church at 7:30 pm.
- March 11th, 2023 – JUBILEE: a concert with Afrocentric classics and more modern work by Nathaniel Dett and Rollo Dilworth at the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts at 7:30 pm.
- April 2nd, 2023 – SPRINGTIME: three new works and a lot more music with Jane Coop at the Orpheum Theatre at 2:30 pm.
- May 12th, 2023 – REFLECTIONS: the final performance of the season with a Nordic theme at the Pacific United Church at 7:30 pm.
About the Vancouver Chamber Choir
Formed in 1971 by conductor Jon Washburn, the Vancouver Chamber Choir has performed thousands of concerts across Canada as well as in over 16 countries around the world including the United States, China, the Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Russia and other East European countries.
Jon Washburn led the choir until 2019 when current Artistic Director Kari Turunen took over.
There are two affiliated choirs. One is the Pacifica Singers, which is a select vocal ensemble that performs four or so times each season with the Vancouver Chamber Choir, as well as once or twice on its own.
The second affiliated choir is the Vancouver Youth Choir which was founded in 2013 and includes three different groups comprising well over 100 children and youth singers.
The mandate of the Vancouver Chamber Choir is “to facilitate music-making of the highest caliber and commitment.” Their mission is to “make choral music of fully professional character and quality; … to foster appreciation of choral music among the public; … [and] to contribute significantly to [their} local, national and international choral communities ….”
Check out the Vancouver Chamber Choir website for more details.
To learn about other similar chorale groups, click Vancouver Choirs.
And for a list of information about upcoming concerts of all kinds, click Vancouver Shows & Entertainment.