The Vancouver Welsh Men’s Choir is an all-male choir with around 100 members that performs a mix of traditional Celtic music and modern songs.
CHOIR CONCERTS AND COVID-19
The same as other choirs and performing arts groups in the Lower Mainland, the Vancouver Welsh Men’s Choir has been negatively impacted by the coronavirus pandemic. The choir’s Celtic concerts during the St. Patrick’s Day season were cancelled, as have all other concerts for the foreseeable future. This has resulted in significant financial losses for the organization.
Fans of the choir’s music who purchased tickets to recent cancelled concerts are asked to consider the purchase of their tickets as a donation to the choir. Doing so will be greatly appreciated! Those who prefer to use their tickets to see a future concert instead will likely be able to do so. Details about this option, and dates for future concerts when available, will be posted to the organization’s website.
For details about the status of the choir and the impact the pandemic is having on it, see the VWMC website.
To learn how the coronavirus is affecting other organizations in the Lower Mainland, click Vancouver, COVID-19, Cancellations & Closures.
The Vancouver Welsh Men’s Choir
Founded in 1980, the Vancouver Welsh Men’s Choir is a group of auditioned all-male amateur singers that’s led by two professional musicians: Jonathan Quick and Karen Lee-Morlang.
The Choir performs up to 18 or so concerts a year including benefit concerts to raise money for charity. They also have a Community Outreach Program which helps those who otherwise would not have the funds to attend their performances.
Below are some of the concerts the Vancouver Welsh Men’s Choir is scheduled to perform in the spring of 2020.
(Note: Performance times, dates and other details are subject to change.)
St. Patrick’s Concerts (CANCELLED)
The following concerts were going to take place around St. Patrick’s Day in 2020:
- March 14th, 2020 – CelticFest at 7:30 pm at Christ Church Cathedral in Vancouver. (CANCELLED)
- March 17th, 2020 – Celtic Traditions at 7:30 pm at The ACT Arts Centre in Maple Ridge. (CANCELLED)
To give you an idea of what to expect later in the season in 2020, below is a list of concerts that the Welsh Men’s Choir performed in the fall and winter of 2019.
(Note: Concert details were subject to change. Check the Choir’s official website for tickets and exact details.)
Remembrance Day Concerts
The following concerts took place on the weekend of Remembrance Day in 2019:
- November 10th, 2019 – With Glowing Hearts at 2:30 pm at New Westminster’s Massey Theatre.
- November 11th, 2019 – With Glowing Hearts at 2:30 pm at the Tsawwassen South Delta Baptist Church.
The following concerts took place during the Christmas season in 2019:
- November 29th, 2019 – Christmas Traditions: Fundraiser for St. James Music Academy at 7:30 pm at Christ Church Cathedral in Vancouver.
- November 30th, 2019 – Christmas Traditions Around the World at 2:30 pm at the White Rock Baptist Church.
- December 1st, 2019 – Christmas Traditions Around the World (with Winter Harp) at 2:30 pm at the Massey Theatre in New Westminster.
- December 6th, 2019 – Christmas Traditions Around the World at 7:30 pm at Centennial Theatre in North Vancouver.
- December 7th, 2019 – Christmas Traditions Around the World at 7:30 pm at Shaughnessy Theatre in Vancouver.
- December 10th, 2019 – Christmas Traditions Around the World at 7:30 pm at the Surrey Arts Centre.
- December 15th, 2019 – Christmas Traditions Around the World at 7:30 pm at the Chilliwack Cultural Centre.
Check out the Vancouver Welsh Men’s Choir website for more details about the choir.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver Shows & Entertainment Calendar
- Entertainment in Vancouver
- Vancouver Choirs
- Lower Mainland Festivals & Events