Canada Day celebrations in Port Coquitlam include music, food, beverages and a fireworks finale out at Castle Park on July 1st.
Canada Day Celebrations in Port Coquitlam
After a couple years of more muted celebrations due to the pandemic, July 1st festivities in Port Coquitlam are back in 2022.
The events begin early in the morning at 8:00 am with a pancake breakfast. Following that there is fishing, live music performances, plenty of food and drinks, and a fireworks show in the evening.
Where and When
The day begins with the pancake breakfast in Lions Park hosted by the Lions Club from 8:00 to 11:00 am. The park is located at 2300 Lions Way. The day’s main festivities then take place in Castle Park which is at 2252 Castle Crescent, about 5 km away.
The Castle Park events take place from 3:00 pm until dusk. There is a free shuttle service set up on Canada Day that takes riders from Port Coquitlam Station to Castle Park.
Canada Day Activities
As mentioned above, the day begins with a pancake breakfast in the park. There is then a fishing derby open to all and free for those under the age of 10.
At Castle Park, once the day’s main festivities get underway, there are a series of song and dance performances, food trucks, a beer garden, a spray park for the younger folk and a fireworks finale.
There are about half a dozen food vendors announced for the 2022 event including a lobster food truck as well as ones serving Persian and Indian foods. Four different breweries are supplying the beer garden which is for those who are ages 19+.
Below is the schedule for the 2022 events in Castle Park. (Note: Times and other details are subject to change.)
The following performances are set to take place between 3:45 and 10:15 pm in an unlisted order (as of mid-June).
- Tri City School of Music – a youth group
- Miss Shauna – a local singer
- Amira Dance Group – belly dancers
- Vancity Lion Dance – performers of the Chinese lion dance
- Royal Academy – traditional Bhangra dancers
These two shows have set performance times listed.
- Rumba Calzada – a Juno Award-winning Latin Jazz and Salsa band that has toured for nearly three decades (at 7:25 pm)
- Barney Bentall and Dustin Bentall – Barney Bentall is a decorated Canadian musician who takes the stage with his son Dustin (at 9:25 pm)
The fireworks show begins after sundown. Those who attend are encouraged to bring their own blankets from which to enjoy the show.
For more information visit the City of Port Coquitlam website.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Canada Day in Metro Vancouver
- Vancouver’s July Calendar
- Free Events in July
- Vancouver Summer Activities
- City of Port Coquitlam