Bite of Burnaby is an annual Metro Vancouver festival where local restaurants and cafés offer special lunch and dinner menus at discounted prices in March.
The Bite of Burnaby Culinary Festival
Looking to explore new restaurants or different types of cuisine in Metro Vancouver’s third largest municipality? Tourism Burnaby produces an annual festival for just that! Bite of Burnaby is a great opportunity to taste multicultural food at lower prices than normal.
Similar to the Dine Out Vancouver Festival which takes place earlier in the year, Bite of Burnaby features fixed-price menus and special deals, but just at Burnaby restaurants. The festival is a good time to visit and support local dining establishments in the city. There are also various prizes to be won each week, in addition to a grand prize draw.
Bite of Burnaby runs throughout the month of March each year, so from March 1st to 31st. 2023 marks the festival’s third year.
2-FOR-1 RESTAURANT COUPONS
Another great way to save money at local restaurants, and do so throughout the year, is to get an Entertainment Coupon membership. Entertainment Coupons used to come in books, but now they come in an app that you can use on your phone. You might remember your kids or neighbour’s children selling the books as a fundraiser years ago. Today the program costs just $2.99 (US) per month or $24.99 for the year. With the app you can get 2-for-1 coupons at dozens of restaurants in the Lower Mainland, and at thousands of more places all across North America.
When we checked in March 2023, we found coupons for a few Burnaby restaurants on the app. They included 22’s Grill (at 4990 Canada Way) and the Burnaby Palace Restaurant (at 3100 Boundary Road). Coupons at these places were for 25% off your bill up to a maximum of $15 or $25.
The Entertainment Coupon App also includes 2-for-1 coupons at lots of restaurants elsewhere in the Lower Mainland. In Vancouver, for example, we found coupons for Osaka Teppanyaki (at 1788 West Broadway), The Park at English Bay (at 1755 Davie Street), Boteco Brasil (at 2545 Nanaimo) and The French Table (at 3916 Main Street). There are lots of coupons for other places too, including at select Freshslice Pizza, Orange Julius, Quiznos, Thai Express, TCBY, Marble Slab and other chain locations.
With the Entertainment Coupon app you can also get 2-for-1 coupons at tourist attractions like Stanley Park Horse Drawn Carriages, Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Garden, the BC Sports Hall of Fame, HR MacMillan Space Centre and other places!
To learn more about restaurants and attractions where you can save money, see our articles about Lower Mainland Entertainment Coupons or Vancouver Entertainment Coupon Restaurants. To buy a membership, visit the shop.entertainment.com website.
In 2023, with the Burnaby Bites program, there are 44 different restaurants offering special menus and deals across 50 locations in Burnaby. Fixed-price menus range from about $15 up to about $60.
Examples of participating restaurants in 2023 include the following:
- Cayenne Bistro & Grill – an East African and Indian fusion restaurant at 7677 6th Street. In 2023 there are fixed-price menus for $15, $35 and $60. The least expensive option comes with masala wings, naan, an appetizer platter and a drink. Meanwhile, the $60 menu comes with your choice of an entrée and a dessert as well.
- Chad Thai – a Thai street food restaurant at 4010 Hastings Street. Their lunch and dinner special in 2023 is for takeout only and costs $17. Choose between a vegetarian spring roll or chicken wontons, plus one of two rice dishes or a noodle dish. You also get a free drink.
- Mintara – located at the top of Burnaby Mountain at 100 Centennial Way, this place is in the same building that Horizons Restaurant used to be in for many years. Newly renamed, the restaurant is now owned and operated by the City of Burnaby. The Bite of Burnaby menu here costs $39. The appetizer is a Mulligan house salad and the entrées are your choice of NY steak, salmon or mushroom ravioli. For dessert there is cheesecake. For $20 more you can instead have a lobster soup, appetizer and choice of steak & lobster or a lobster & seafood linguine.
- Olivo Cafe & Eatery – tasty Mexican food at 3871 North Fraser Way (Unit 17). Their Bite of Burnaby menu costs $30 in 2023. It features chips and salsa plus a choice between one of five mains, including tacos and enchiladas. Dessert is either croffle or churros (where the first is a cross between a croissant and a waffle and the second is a stick-shaped, donut-like pastry). The meal also comes with a drink.
- Peaked Pies – an Australian bakery cafe with a location at 4114 Hastings Street. This year’s fixed-price menu is a pie flight with three savory pies and one sweet pie. Choices include a vegetable medley, chicken, apple crumble and more. This deal costs $15.
- Steve’s Poké Bar – “authentic” Hawaiian cuisine at multiple locations in Burnaby. In 2023 their Bite of Burnaby deal is two signature bowls of poké for $30. Participating branches include those in Brentwood Mall, Lougheed Mall, Metrotown and SFU’s Burnaby campus.
- The Keg – a popular restaurant chain with a location at 4510 Still Creek Avenue. Their Bite of Burnaby menu is a three-course meal for $60. Entrée options include striploin steak, filet oscar, prime rib and steak with lobster tail.
For the full list of restaurants click Bite of Burnaby Restaurants.
2023 Contest Details
The Bite of Burnaby festival also offers giveaways in 2023. Folks who visit participating restaurants between March 1st and April 7th can win a variety of prizes.
To be entered into any of the giveaways, post a photo of your Bite of Burnaby meal on Instagram and use the #BiteofBurnaby hashtag. You can also upload your photo to the festival’s official website. One entry is allowed per person at each participating restaurant. Weekly prizes include gift cards and products from local stores. Each photo you post or upload also enters you into the grand prize draw, which is a “Stay and Eat” experience valued at $500.
For more information about the festival visit the official Bite of Burnaby website.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following: