Every summer there are free outdoor movies at venues like Canada Place, Stanley Park, downtown Vancouver and across the Lower Mainland.
NOTE: On Wednesday, August 17th, the movie Pitch Perfect. shows at Sunset Cinema in the plaza outside the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in downtown Vancouver. Films show there on the following two Wednesdays too!
To learn about the above shows as well as others on other dates at venues throughout the Lower Mainland, continue reading!
Outdoor movies often take place at the following locations:
Queen Elizabeth Plaza | Stanley Park | Vancouver Art Gallery | Vancouver Public Library | Burnaby | North Vancouver | New Westminster | White Rock | West Vancouver | Richmond | Surrey | Abbotsford | Langley | Squamish | Other Locations
Click on any of the above links to jump to movie information for a specific part of town, or continue reading to learn about all Metro Vancouver outdoor movie locations.
Note: If you want a list of movies in chronological order instead, click Free Outdoor Movies.
Free Outdoor Movies in the Lower Mainland
At each outdoor movie location spectators are encouraged to bring their own blankets and lawn chairs, plus snacks and picnics for those that want them. The exception are any drive-in movies, where the organizers might want people to stay in their vehicles.
Below are some locations that are showing or are likely to show movies in 2022. Details are as of mid-June.
Sunset Cinema at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre Plaza
Free outdoor movies show in the plaza outside the Queen Elizabeth Theatre at 650 Hamilton Street, now named šxʷƛ̓exən Xwtl’a7shn Plaza.
2022 films and dates are the following (with all screenings happening at dusk):
- Wednesday, August 3, 2022 – Sing 2 at ~8:45 pm (Postponed due to rain in the forecast)
- Tuesday, August 16, 2022 – Sing 2 at ~8:30 pm
- Wednesday, August 17, 2022 – Perfect Pitch at ~8:30 pm
- Wednesday, August 24, 2022 – Spider-Man: No Way Home at ~8:15 pm
- Wednesday, August 31, 2022 – In the Heights at ~8:00 pm
Prior to the films, on the same evenings, there is live music. There is also usually a face-painting station for kids.
See our article about Sunset Cinema for more information.
Stanley Park Summer Cinema
Stanley Park Summer Cinema is a series of free outdoor movie showings that take place at Second Beach in Stanley Park from early July until late August. It didn’t happen in 2020 or 2021 due to the pandemic, but it returns this year!
Free seating is typically available for up to 5,000 people on a first-come, first-served basis. Premium VIP seating is also available with advance reservations for between about $20 and $35 per person, although spaces are limited.
Stanley Park Summer Cinema movies all start at dusk on Tuesday evenings on one of the largest outdoor screens in the Lower Mainland.
The 2022 schedule is the following (with all films starting at dusk):
- July 5, 2022 – Lion King (1994, PG)
- July 12, 2022 – Zoolander (2001, PG)
- July 19, 2022 – Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981, PG)
- July 26, 2022 – Jurassic Park (1993, PG)
- August 2, 2022 – Spice World (1997, PG)
- August 9, 2022 – Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986, PG)
- August 16, 2022 – Dirty Dancing (1987, PG)
- August 23, 2022 – Grease (1978, PG)
Click Stanley Park Outdoor Cinema for more information.
TIP: Make a day of the experience – Stanley Park’s seawall is wonderful to walk or cycle around beforehand, and the Second Beach outdoor swimming pool is usually open until around dusk in July and August.
Vancouver Art Gallery Outdoor Movies
In years when there isn’t a pandemic, Summer Movie Nights in the Square take place at the ????n?q Xwtl’e7énk Square in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery on the 800 block of Georgia Street.
Pre-show activities start at around 4:00 pm and films begin at around 9:00 pm in 2022. Below is the lineup for this year. The movies return on almost every Thursday in July and August.
- July 7, 2022 – Mean Girls
- July 14, 2022 – Jumanji
- July 21, 2022 – Spider-Man: No Way Home
- July 28, 2022 – Moulin Rouge
- August 4, 2022 – Space Jam
- August 11, 2022 – Jurassic Park
- August 18, 2022 – TBD (It will either be Dune or Godzilla vs. Kong).
For more information check out Downtown Vancouver Movie Night.
Vancouver Public Library Outdoor Movies
The DOXA Documentary Film Festival ran from May 5th to 15th in 2022. However, the DOXA Outdoor Summer Screenings are happening this August. The screenings take place outside the Vancouver Public Library Central Branch and are free to attend.
There are two screenings this year, both of which happen on a Friday at 9:00 pm. The 2022 schedule is listed below.
- August 12, 2022 – Collection of short films
- August 19, 2022 – Dear Jackie
To learn more click DOXA Documentary Film Festival.
Burnaby Free Outdoor Movies
Free Outdoor Movies in Burnaby often take place outside the Bob Prittie Library – Metrotown Branch at the corner of Kingsborough and MacKay (at 6100 Willingdon Avenue) on Friday evenings in August starting at 8:30 pm.
2022 dates include August 12th, 19th and 26th as well as September 2nd. Below is the outdoor movie lineup for this year:
- Friday, August 12, 2022 – Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Friday, August 19, 2022 – Paddington 2
- Friday, August 26, 2022 – Shaun the Sheep Movie
- Friday, September 2, 2022 – Ron’s Gone Wrong
In addition to the above films in Metrotown, the following movie also happens at Edmonds Park at 7433 Humphries Avenue:
- Saturday, August 20, 2022 – The Lego Movie
Click Burnaby Outdoor Movie Series for further details about these events.
North Vancouver Outdoor Movies
Free outdoor movies show at various locations around North Vancouver most summers. Below are details for 2022.
North Vancouver’s Cates Deck
The new Deckchair Cinema series takes place on Cates Deck on Thursday evenings in North Vancouver’s Shipyards District in 2022. The movies are free to attend and preceded by live music from DJs. Below is the schedule for this year:
- June 23, 2022 – Carts of Darkness
- June 30, 2022 – Cleo from 5 to 7
- July 7, 2022 – Persepolis
- July 14, 2022 – Smoke Signals
- July 21, 2022 – Enter the Dragon
- July 28, 2022 – Hairspray
- August 4, 2022 – Summer of Soul
- August 11, 2022 – Paprika
To learn more about the above movies and their venue see our article about Deckchair Cinema.
North Vancouver Movies at City Hall Plaza
The City and City Library of North Vancouver present Family Movies in the Plaza at the Civic Library at 120 West 14th Street. The screen size is smaller here than at Stanley Park and Canada Place, and it’s a slightly cozier atmosphere with only a couple of hundred North Shore spectators most nights.
The movie nights at the plaza return in 2022 but on a smaller scale than pre-pandemic.
- July 8, 2022 – Sing 2
For details about this event see the City of North Vancouver‘s website.
Sunset Cinema at the Shipyards
Free outdoor movies take place on Wednesdays at Shipyards Commons (which is the large covered open plaza in the Shipyards District just a 5-minute walk from Lonsdale Quay. The schedule for the films this year is the following:
- July 13, 2022 – Matilda
- July 20, 2022 – Kicking and Screaming
- July 27, 2022 – Nanny McPhee
- August 3, 2022 – Wall-E
- August 10, 2022 – Mamma Mia!
- August 17, 2022 – Night at the Museum
- August 24, 2022 – Back to the Future
To learn more about these and other events in the area see our article about North Vancouver Outdoor Movies.
New Westminster Outdoor Movies
There was a free outdoor movie night in Westminster Pier Park to celebrate the park’s 10th anniversary. Future outdoor movie nights in the city are TBC as of mid-June.
- June 17, 2022 – Spider-Man: No Way Home
Movies at Semiahmoo Park in White Rock
A few movies take place at Semiahmoo Park in White Rock in 2022.
These movies are not free. Tickets cost $25 per vehicle at the gate. Proceeds from these movies go to Semiahmoo Minor Hockey. The park is located at 15782 Marine Drive.
- July 16, 2022 – Peter Rabbit
- July 23, 2022 – Grease
- July 30, 2022 – Jumanji: Welcome the Jungle
West Vancouver Festival Movies
The Harmony Arts Festival is an arts festival that takes place at the waterfront in West Vancouver in early August each year (although not in 2020 or 2021). In addition to concerts and outdoor art, the festival usually features an outdoor movie each evening starting at around 9 pm.
The Harmony Arts Festival venue stretches from Ambleside Park near the Ambleside Pier all the way to John Lawson Park, which is the location of the nightly movies.
In 2022 the Harmony Arts Festival runs from July 29th until August 7th. Films were going to be shown at around 9:00 pm on every night except for the last night this year. At the last minute, however, they were all cancelled. As a result, for some reason or other, no outdoor films are happening at the festival in 2022. Hopefully they’ll be back in 2023.
Harmony Arts Outdoor Movies
The free outdoor movies in 2022 at West Vancouver’s John Lawson Park are the following:
- July 29, 2022 (Friday) – The Adam Project (CANCELLED)
- July 30, 2022 (Saturday) – Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (CANCELLED)
- July 31, 2022 (Sunday) – Encanto (CANCELLED)
- August 1, 2022 (Monday) – Summer of Soul (CANCELLED)
- August 2, 2022 (Tuesday) – Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (CANCELLED)
- August 3, 2022 (Wednesday) – Singin’ in the Rain (CANCELLED)
- August 4, 2022 (Thursday) – Men in Black (CANCELLED)
- August 5, 2022 (Friday) – Luca (CANCELLED)
- August 6, 2022 (Saturday) – Legally Blonde (CANCELLED)
Check out the Harmony Arts Festival website for more information.
Richmond Outdoor Movies
Drive-in movies take place in the Lansdowne Centre parking lot at 5300 No. 3 Road in Richmond. They take place on a few Wednesday evenings beginning on August 24 in 2022. Movies showing and other details, however, are to be confirmed.
Surrey Outdoor Movies
Movies at Holland Park is another series of outdoor movies that takes place most years at Surrey’s Holland Park at 13428 Old Yale Road not far from Central City mall on Saturday evenings. Each night there is popcorn, hot dogs and burgers available. Admission is by donation with proceeds going to charity.
2022 films at Holland Park include the following:
- August 6, 2022 – Sing 2
- August 13, 2022 – Encanto
- August 20, 2022 – Sonic the Hedgehog
Entertainment each evening starts at 6:00 pm and the films begin at dusk.
Lower Mainland Outdoor Movies in 2019
Below is a list of the 2019 outdoor movie lineup at various locations throughout Metro Vancouver, with shows all starting at dusk unless otherwise stated. The list is organized by location, and then by date within each location.
Again, if you want a list of movies in chronological order, then click Free Outdoor Movies Listing.
Before listing the movie lineup at the various locations around the Lower Mainland, here are a couple of tips to help you make the most out of your experience.
TIP #1: Go early and put your blanket down or lawn chairs out to reserve your spot, and also to find parking (which can be a challenge).
TIP #2: Unless the evenings are unusually hot, take a sweater and/or a blanket to keep warm. You’ll probably need it by the end of the show on most nights. At some locations, bug spray can be a good idea too.
Note: All movies, times and locations were subject to change.
Abbotsford Free Outdoor Movies
Below is a list of 2019 events in Abbotsford:
- August 8th, 2019 – ET played in Abbotsford at the Rotary Stadium.
- August 15th, 2019 – Monsters Inc. played in Abbotsford at the Rotary Stadium.
- August 22nd, 2019 – The Goonies played in Abbotsford at the Rotary Stadium.
For more information visit the Cinema Under the Stars Facebook page.
Langley Outdoor Movies
Below are events that took place in Langley in 2019:
- August 23rd, 2019 – Finding Dory will be playing in Langley at Langley City Park. For more information visit the Cinema Under the Stars Facebook page.
- August 30th, 2019 – Movies in the Park presents A Dog’s Way Home at Douglas Park at 20550 Douglas Crescent. See the City of Langley‘s website for details.
Squamish Outdoor Movies
A number of outdoor movies take place in Squamish in the summer. Some are free while others are not. There is usually a free outdoor movie in July during the Squamish Wind Festival and another in August during the Squamish Days Loggers Sports Festival.
In 2020 the Squamish Wind Festival was still scheduled to happen, and it was going to host three different outdoor movies. Squamish Days, however, was cancelled. 2021 dates and details are to be confirmed, but the events are unlikely to happen due to COVID-19.
See below for details about each from 2019.
- Squamish Wind Festival – Mary Poppins Returns shows at Junction Park on July 19th, 2019.
- Squamish Days – a movie shows at Junction Park on August 2nd, 2019 (with film details to be confirmed.)
In addition to the above free films, drive-in theatre-style movies also showed at the West Coast Railway Heritage Park once a month in May, June, July, August, September and October of 2019. The cost for those was $20 per carload (or $5 for people who come by foot).
Movies showing at Squamish’s West Coast Railway Heritage Park in 2019 were the following (with details subject to change):
- Friday, May 3rd, 2019 – Mary Poppins
- Friday, June 7th, 2019 – How to Train your Dragon 3
- Friday, July 5th, 2019 – Captain Marvel
- Friday, August 2nd, 2019 – Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse
- Friday, September 6th, 2019 – Christopher Robin
- Friday, October 4th, 2019 – Avengers Endgame
Other Free Outdoor Movie Locations
In addition to all of the above, free films take place at other venues too. See below for other locations.
- Cinema Under the Stars – on August 24th, 2019, Grease is playing in Mission at Fraser River Heritage Park. On August 29th, 2019, Moana played at Watson Glen Park in Chilliwack. For more information, check out the Cinema Under the Stars website.
- White Rock Movie Nights – on June 20th, 2019, The Princess Bride played in Memorial Park and on June 27th, 2019, Star Wars IV: A New Hope is playing. For more information visit the Explore White Rock website.
- Tsawwassen Sun Festival – a 3-day community festival that features a free outdoor drive-in movie in South Delta on August 24th in 2019. The film in that year was Grease.
For a list of the above movies organized by date, click Free Outdoor Movies Schedule.
For a list of free live music venues, click Free Outdoor Concerts.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Fresh Air Cinema
- Vancouver Activities for Children
- FlyOver Canada Multi-Dimensional Theatre
- Vancouver on a Budget
- Vancouver Shows & Entertainment