Every summer there are free outdoor movies at venues like Canada Place, Stanley Park, downtown Vancouver and across the Lower Mainland.
Free outdoor movies take place at various Lower Mainland venues including at the following locations:
Click on any of the above links to jump to movie information for a specific part of town, or continue reading to learn about all Metro Vancouver outdoor movie locations.
Note: If you want a list of movies in chronological order instead, click Free Outdoor Movies.
Free Outdoor Movies in the Lower Mainland
At each outdoor movie location spectators are encouraged to bring their own blankets and lawn chairs, plus snacks and picnics for those that want.
Below is a list of the 2019 outdoor movie lineup at various locations throughout Metro Vancouver, with shows all starting at dusk unless otherwise stated. The list is organized by location, and then by date within each location.
Again, if you want a list of movies in chronological order, then click Free Outdoor Movies Listing.
Before listing the movie lineup at the various locations around the Lower Mainland, here are a couple of tips to help you make the most out of your experience.
TIP #1: Go early and put your blanket down or lawn chairs out to reserve your spot, and also to find parking which can be a challenge.
TIP #2: Unless the evenings are unusually hot, take a sweater and/or a blanket to keep warm. You’ll probably need it by the end of the show on most nights. At some locations, bug spray can be a good idea too.
Note: All movies, times and locations are subject to change.
Stanley Park Summer Cinema
Stanley Park Summer Cinema is a series of free outdoor movie showings that take place at Second Beach in Stanley Park from early July until late August.
Free seating is available for up to 5,000 people on a first-come, first-served basis. Premium VIP seating is also available with advance reservations for between about $20 and $35 per person, although spaces are limited.
Stanley Park Summer Cinema movies all start at dusk on Tuesday evenings on one of the largest outdoor screens in the Lower Mainland.
The movie lineup for 2019 is the following (with all films starting at dusk):
- July 2, 2019 – Wayne’s World (1992, PG)
- July 9, 2019 – Beetlejuice (1988, PG)
- July 16, 2019 – Shrek (2001, PG)
- July 23, 2019 – Sleepless in Seattle (1993, PG)
- July 30, 2019 – Moulin Rouge (2001, PG)
- August 6, 2019 – Finding Nemo (2003, G)
- August 13, 2019 – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004, PG)
- August 20, 2019 – Jurassic Park (1993, PG)
Click Stanley Park Outdoor Cinema for more information.
TIP: Make a day of the experience – Stanley Park’s seawall is wonderful to walk or cycle around beforehand, and the Second Beach outdoor swimming pool is usually open in July until 8:45 pm, and in August until between around 8 and 8:30 pm.
Sunset Cinema at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre Plaza
Outdoor movies showed in the plaza outside the Queen Elizabeth Theatre at 650 Hamilton Street on four Wednesdays in July and August last year. Hopefully they’ll be back again this year too.
Check back for 2019 updates.
2018 films and dates were the following (and 2019 will hopefully be similar):
- July 18, 2018 – Coco
- July 25, 2018 – Singing In The Rain
- August 1, 2018– Three Amigos
- August 8, 2018 – Wonder Woman
Pre-show activities started at 8:30 and films began at dusk (so at slightly earlier times in July and slightly later in August).
Canada Place Waterfront Cinema
The outdoor movie screen at Canada Place is usually one of the largest in the Lower Mainland, which makes it extra enjoyable.
In 2019 Waterfront Cinema runs from July 11th until August 29th.
Below is a list of the 2019 films. (Note: Show details are subject to change and films are weather dependent.)
- July 11, 2019 – Captain Marvel
- July 18, 2019 – Crazy Rich Asians
- July 25, 2019 – Elf
- August 1, 2019 – Shazam!
- August 8, 2019 – Beauty & the Beast
- August 15, 2019 – How to Train your Dragon: The Hidden World
- August 22, 2019 – Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- August 29, 2019 – Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
Click Waterfront Cinema at Canada Place for more information.
TIP: Go early to reserve your spot, and seriously consider taking public transit. Waterfront Station is just a couple of blocks away, and from there you can get to and from virtually anywhere eventually.
Vancouver Art Gallery Outdoor Movies
Summer Movie Nights in the Square takes place at the newly renamed šx????n?q Xwtl’e7énk Square in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery in the 800 block of Georgia Street every Wednesday in July and August.
Pre-show activities start in the early evening and films begin at dusk. Here’s the lineup for 2019:
- July 3, 2019 – Clueless
- July 10, 2019 – Pitch Perfect
- July 17, 2019 – Zoolander
- July 24, 2019 – Paddington Bear
- July 29, 2019 – Bohemian Rhapsody
- August 7, 2019 – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- August 14, 2019 – Inside Out
- August 21, 2019 – Crazy Rich Asians
For more information check out Downtown Vancouver Movie Night.
Abbotsford Free Outdoor Movies
Below is a list of 2019 events in Abbotsford:
- Cinema Under the Stars – ET will be playing in Abbotsford at the Rotary Stadium.
- Cinema Under the Stars – Monsters Inc. will be playing in Abbotsford at the Rotary Stadium.
- Cinema Under the Stars – The Goonies will be playing in Abbotsford at the Rotary Stadium.
For more information visit the Cinema Under the Stars website.
Burnaby Free Outdoor Movies
Free Outdoor Movies in Burnaby take place outside the Bob Prittie Library – Metrotown Branch at the corner of Kingsborough and MacKay (at 6100 Willingdon Avenue) on Thursday evenings in August starting at 8:30 pm.
2019 dates include August 8, 15, 22 and 29. Shows take place rain or shine.
Below is the 2019 outdoor movie lineup:
- August 8, 2019 – Mary Poppins Returns
- August 15, 2019 – Hotel Transylvania 3
- August 22, 2019 – Madagascar 3
- August 29, 2019 – The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Click Burnaby Outdoor Movie Series for further details.
Langley Outdoor Movies
Below are the events taking place in Langley in 2019:
- Cinema Under the Stars – Finding Dory will be playing in Langley at Langley City Park.
For more information visit the Cinema Under the Stars website
New Westminster Outdoor Movies
New Westminster’s Outdoor Summer Movie Nights take place every Friday in July and is located throughout the city.
Movies start at dusk (so around 9 pm plus or minus). 2019 film dates and details are the following:
- July 5, 2019 – The Emperor’s New Groove (at Port Royal Park)
- July 12, 2019 – Kung Fu Panda (at Sapperton Park)
- July 19, 2019 – The Avengers (at Moody Park)
- July 26, 2019 – Bohemian Rhapsody (at Westminster Pier Park)
North Vancouver Outdoor Movies
Free outdoor movies show at various locations around North Vancouver most summers including at Lynn Valley Village, City Hall Plaza and Lonsdale Quay. Below are details about the 2019 film line-up outside City Hall.
Movies at City Hall Plaza
The City and City Library of North Vancouver present Family Movies in the Plaza with a series of films outdoors at the Civic Library at 120 West 14th Street on four Fridays in July and August.
The screen size is smaller here than at Stanley Park and Canada Place, and it’s a slightly cozier atmosphere with only a couple of hundred North Shore spectators most nights.
2019 dates and film details are as follows:
- July 5, 2019 – A Wrinkle in Time: the 2018 science-fantasy film starring Oprah Winfrey and Reese Witherspoon shows on August 17th at around 8:30 pm.
- July 19, 2019 – The Lego Movie Part 2: the sequel to original Lego movie, this film follows the Lego characters as they navigate the introduction of Duplo characters.
- July 26, 2019 – Despicable Me 3: this movie follows Gru as he meets his long lost twin brother Dru.
- August 9, 2019 – Paddington 2: the film about a bear and his quest to buy Aunt Lucy a birthday present, only for it to be stolen!
Note: Movie times and details are subject to change. See the City of North Vancouver website for exact details.
TIP: Friday evenings are also when North Vancouver’s Shipyard Night Market takes place. Consider making a day out of your trip and take in some music before the movie, or do some outdoor exploring in nature on the North Shore.
Richmond Outdoor Movies
Starlight Theatre Drive-in Movies at Lansdowne Centre at 5300 No. 3 Road features free drive-in parking for up to 200 vehicles on a first-come, first-served basis. There is also ample space for people to set up their lawn chairs.
(Note: The mall is easily accessed by the Lansdowne Canada Line SkyTrain station.)
Starlight Theatre Drive-in Movies in 2019 take place on Wednesday evenings and include the following:
- July 3, 2019 – Crazy Rich Asians
- July 10, 2019 – Ocean’s 8
- July 17, 2019 – Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- July 24, 2019 – The Notebook
- July 31, 2019 – Batman: The Dark Knight
- August 7, 2019 – Aquaman
- August 14, 2019 – Shazam!
- August 21, 2019 – Detective Pikachu
- August 28, 2019 – Inception
In 2019 the public could vote on which one of two movies they wanted to see on each particular day. Voting closed on June 16, 2019, and the most popular films were announced shortly thereafter.
Click Lansdowne Centre for more information.
Surrey Outdoor Movies
Outdoor Movie Nights in Cloverdale show most years at sunset on Fridays in the summer in Cloverdale at either Don Christian Park (at 6220 184th Street) or Katzie Elementary School (at 6887 194A Street).
Live entertainment and family games start each evening at 8:00 pm.
This event took place in 2018, and in years before that, but details for 2019 are still to be confirmed. Check back later for 2019 updates.
The 2018 schedule for Outdoor Movie Nights in Cloverdale was the following:
At Don Christian Recreation Centre
- July 6, 2018 – Ferdinand
- July 20, 2018 – Lego Batman Movie
- August 3, 2018 – Night at the Museum
- August 17, 2018 – Beethoven
At Katzie Elementary School
- July 13, 2018 – The Boss Baby
- July 27, 2018 – Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
- August 10, 2018 – The Lion King
- August 24, 2018 – Coco
Movies at Holland Park is another series of outdoor movies that takes place most years at Surrey’s Holland Park at 13428 Old Yale Road not far from Central City mall on Saturday evenings. Each night there is popcorn, hot dogs and burgers available. Admission is by donation with proceeds going to charity.
2018 films at Holland Park included the following:
- August 4, 2018 – Ferdinand
- August 11, 2018 – Coco
- August 18, 2018 – Paddington 2
- August 25, 2018 – Wonder
West Vancouver Festival Movies
The Harmony Arts Festival is an arts festival that takes place at the waterfront in West Vancouver in early August each year. In addition to concerts and outdoor art, the festival features an outdoor movie each evening starting at around 9 pm.
The Harmony Arts Festival venue stretches from Ambleside Park near the Ambleside Pier all the way to John Lawson Park, which is the location of the nightly movies.
In 2019 the Harmony Arts Festival runs from August 2nd until the 11th. Check back for cinema updates.
Harmony Arts Outdoor Movies
This year the free outdoor movies at West Vancouver’s John Lawson Park are the following:
- August 2, 2019 (Friday) – The Green Book (2018)
- August 3, 2019 (Saturday) – Crazy Rich Asians (2018)
- August 4, 2019 (Sunday) – The Incredibles 2 (2018)
- August 5, 2019 (Monday) – Indian Horse (2018)
- August 6, 2019 (Tuesday) – Free Solo (2018)
- August 7, 2019 (Wednesday) – Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
- August 8, 2019 (Thursday) – The Truman Show(1998)
- August 9, 2019 (Friday) – Black Panther (2018)
- August 10, 2019 (Saturday) – Top Gun (1986)
Check out the Harmony Arts Festival website for more information.
Other Free Outdoor Movie Locations
In addition to all of the above, free films take place at other venues too. See below for other locations.
- Cinema Under the Stars – on August 24th, 2019, Grease is playing in Mission at Fraser River Heritage Park. On August 29th, 2019, Moana is playing at Watson Glen Park in Chilliwack. For more information, check out the Cinema Under the Stars website.
- White Rock Movie Nights – on June 20th, 2019, The Princess Bride is playing in Memorial Park and on June 27th, 2019, Star Wars IV: A New Hope is playing. For more information visit the Explore White Rock website.
- Squamish Wind Festival – on July 19th, 2019, a movie takes place at the festival (with details to be confirmed).
For a list of the above movies organized by date, click Free Outdoor Movies Schedule.
For a list of free live music venues, click Free Outdoor Concerts.