Every summer there are free outdoor movies at venues like Canada Place, Stanley Park, downtown Vancouver and across the Lower Mainland.
Free outdoor movies take place at various Lower Mainland venues including at the following locations:
Click on any of the above links to jump to movie information for a specific part of town, or continue reading to learn about all Metro Vancouver outdoor movie locations.
Note: If you want a list of movies in chronological order instead, click Free Outdoor Movies.
Free Outdoor Movies in the Lower Mainland
At each outdoor movie location spectators are encouraged to bring their own blankets and lawn chairs, plus snacks and picnics for those that want.
Below is a list of the 2018 outdoor movie lineup at various locations throughout Metro Vancouver, with shows all starting at dusk unless otherwise stated. The list is organized by location, and then by date within each location.
Again, if you want a list of movies in chronological order, then click Free Outdoor Movies Listing.
Before listing the 2018 movie lineup at the various locations around the Lower Mainland, here are a couple of tips to help you make the most out of your experience.
TIP #1: Go early and put your blanket down or lawn chairs out to reserve your spot, and also to find parking which can be a challenge.
TIP #2: Unless the evenings are unusually hot, take a sweater and/or a blanket to keep warm. You’ll probably need it by the end of the show on most nights. At some locations, bug spray can be a good idea too.
Note: All movies, times and locations are subject to change.
Stanley Park Summer Cinema
Stanley Park Summer Cinema is a series of free outdoor movie showings that take place at Second Beach in Stanley Park from early July until late August.
Free seating is available for up to 5,000 people on a first-come, first-served basis. Premium VIP seating is also available with advance reservations for about $20 per person, although spaces are limited.
Stanley Park Summer Cinema movies all start at dusk on Tuesday evenings on one of the largest outdoor screens in the Lower Mainland.
New for 2018, people could vote for the movies they wanted featured. Movies run from July 3 to August 31 and each Tuesday during that time either one of two movies will be shown. Voting ended at the end of May and results were announced on June 5. See below for what was chosen.
The movie lineup for 2018 is the following (with all films starting at dusk):
- July 3, 2018 – The Princess Bride (1987)
- July 10, 2018 – Stand By Me (1986)
- July 17, 2018 – The Lion King (1994)
- July 24, 2018 – Mean Girls (2004)
- July 31, 2018 – Spice World (1997)
- August 7, 2018 – Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)
- August 14, 2018 – Sing-along Grease (1978)
- August 21, 2018 – Titanic (1997)
Click Stanley Park Outdoor Cinema for more information.
TIP: Make a day of the experience – Stanley Park’s seawall is wonderful to walk or cycle around beforehand, and the Second Beach outdoor swimming pool is open in July until 8:45 pm, and in August until between 8 and 8:30 pm.
Sunset Cinema at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre Plaza
Outdoor movies show in the plaza outside the Queen Elizabeth Theatre at 650 Hamilton Street on four Wednesdays in July and August.
2018 films and dates are the following:
- July 18, 2018 – Coco
- July 25, 2018 – Singing In The Rain
- August 1, 2018– Three Amigos
- August 8, 2018 – Wonder Woman
Pre-show activities start at 8:30 and films begin at dusk (so at slightly earlier times in July and slightly later in August).
Canada Place Waterfront Cinema
The outdoor movie screen at Canada Place is usually one of the largest in the Lower Mainland, which makes it extra enjoyable.
In 2018 Waterfront Cinema runs from July 12th until August 30th.
Below is the list of movies scheduled for this year. (Note: Show details are subject to change and films are weather dependent.)
- The Greatest Showman – July 12th (2018): a musical about the origins of the P.T. Barnum Circus. This is a great show and some of the acts featured in it performed in the Royal Canadian Family Circus when it visited the Lower Mainland in May and June 2018.
- Coco – July 19th (2018): a computer-animated Disney film about a young Mexican boy who finds himself transported to the Land of the Dead.
- Top Gun – July 26th (2018): the classic 1986 Tom Cruise action-adventure movie about US Air Force pilots.
- Mama Mia – August 2nd (2018): the 2008 musical based around ABBA songs and starring Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosman, Colin Firth and others.
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle – August 9th (2018): a comedy-action movie about 4 teenagers who get sucked into the fantasy world of Jumanji. Stars Dwayne Johnson of WWF Wrestling fame.
- Wonder Woman – August 16th (2018): last year’s DC Comics female superhero film starring Gal Gadot.
- Black Panther – August 23rd (2018): the recently released Marvel Comics blockbuster superhero. (Rated PG)
Click Waterfront Cinema at Canada Place for more information.
TIP: Go early to reserve your spot, and seriously consider taking public transit. Waterfront Station is just a couple of blocks away, and from there you can get to and from virtually anywhere eventually.
Vancouver Art Gallery Outdoor Movies
Summer Movie Nights in the Square take place at the newly renamed šxʷƛ̓ənəq Xwtl’e7énk Square in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery in the 800 block of Georgia Street every Wednesday in July and August.
Pre-show activities start in the early evening and films begin at dusk. Here’s the lineup for this year:
- July 4, 2018 – Ghostbusters
- July 11, 2018 – Lost In Translation
- July 18, 2018 – Zootopia
- July 25, 2018 – Ocean’s Eleven
- August 1, 2018 – Moulin Rouge
- August 8, 2018 – Notting Hill
- August 15, 2018 – Mrs. Doubtfire
- August 22, 2018 – La La Land
- August 29, 2018 – Avengers: Infinity War
For more information check out Downtown Vancouver Movie Night.
Abbotsford Free Outdoor Movies
Saturday, July 14, 2018
The 1993 movie Sandlot shows at Abbotsford’s Centennial Park Ball Diamond at Mill Lake Park at 2310 Emerson Street on Saturday, July 14, 2018. Admission is free and show time is at dusk (so a bit after 8 pm).
Click Sandlot in Abbotsford for further details.
Thursday, August 9, 2018
There is an orchestra performance, puppet show and the Disney movie Planes at Mill Lake Park starting at 7 pm on August 9th. It’s a free event in the lead-up to the Abbotsford Airshow taking place on the August 10-12 weekend.
Click Abbotsford Concert & Movie Night for information about both the Airshow and the free Thursday evening event.
Burnaby Free Outdoor Movies
Free Outdoor Movies in Burnaby take place outside the Bob Prittie Library – Metrotown Branch at the corner of Kingsborough and MacKay (at 6100 Willingdon Avenue) on Thursday evenings in August starting at 8:30 pm.
2018 dates included August 9, 16, 23 and 30. Shows take place rain or shine.
2018 dates and Disney films are the following (with details subject to change).
Click Burnaby Outdoor Movie Series for further details.
A free outdoor movie also shows at Confederation Park on Saturday, August 25th. The film is Avengers: Infinity War and the event includes pre-show family-friendly activities. Click Movies in the Park for details.
Langley Outdoor Movies
The Al Anderson Memorial Pool at 4949 207 Street hosts a “Dive-In Movie Night” featuring the 1975 thriller Jaws.
The show takes place on Saturday, August 11th, starting at dusk. While watching the movie you get to float, swim, dive and splash around in the pool!
Note: This event is NOT FREE – the cost is $5 per person.
Check out the City of Langley website for more details.
New Westminster Outdoor Movies
New Westminster’s Outdoor Summer Movie Nights took place at Queen’s Park Stadium in previous years. In 2018, however, the films take place at a different venue every second week of the summer.
Movies start at dusk (so around 9 pm plus or minus).
2018 film dates and details are the following (with details subject to change):
- July 13, 2018 – Space Jam: the movie shows at Westminster Pier Park which is located at the edge of the Fraser River at 1 Sixth Street.
- July 27, 2018 – Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: the movie shows at Moody Park which is located at 600 8th Street. (The film shows at the south end of the park.)
- August 10, 2018 – Cars: the movie shows at Port Royal Park at 215 Salter Street.
- August 24, 2018 – Trolls: the movie shows at Sapperton Park at 351 East Columbia Street.
Click Outdoor Summer Movie Nights for details.
North Vancouver Outdoor Movies
Free outdoor movies show at various locations around North Vancouver each summer including at Lynn Valley Village, City Hall Plaza and Lonsdale Quay.
Lynn Valley Village Movie
Lynn Valley Day is an event on June 16, 2018, that involves a parade and community fair with family-friendly activities. On that evening there is also Retro Movie Night at Lynn Valley Village at 1277 Lynn Valley Road.
This year’s Retro Night Movie is Field of Dreams starring Kevin Costner, Amy Madigan, James Earl Jones and Burt Lancaster.
Movies at City Hall Plaza
The City and City Library of North Vancouver present Family Movies in the Plaza, with a series of films outdoors at the Civic Library at 120 West 14th Street every second Friday in July and August.
The screen size is smaller here than at Stanley Park and Canada Place, and it’s a slightly cozier atmosphere with only a couple of hundred North Shore spectators most nights.
2018 dates and film details are as follows:
- Labyrinth – the 1986 musical-fantasy film starring David Bowie shows on Friday July 6th at around 9:15 pm. (Note: POSTPONED until Thursday July 12th!)
- E.T.: the Extra-Terrestrial – the 1982 science fiction movie about an alien and a young boy shows on Friday July 20th at around 9:00 pm.
- Coco – the 2017 computer-animated Disney/Pixar film about a boy who finds himself transported to the land of the dead shows on Friday August 3rd at around 8:45 pm.
- A Wrinkle in Time – the 2018 science-fantasy film starring Oprah Winfrey and Reese Witherspoon shows on August 17th at around 8:30 pm.
Note: Movie times and details are subject to change. See the City of North Vancouver website for exact details.
TIP: Friday evenings are also when North Vancouver’s Shipyard Night Market takes place. Consider making a day out of your trip and take in some music before the movie, or do some outdoor exploring in nature on the North Shore.
Richmond Outdoor Movies
Starlight Theatre Drive-in Movies at Lansdowne Centre at 5300 No. 3 Road features free drive-in parking for up to 200 vehicles on a first-come, first-served basis. There is also ample space for people to set up their lawn chairs.
(Note: The mall is easily accessed by the Lansdowne Canada Line SkyTrain station.)
Starlight Theatre Drive-in Movies in 2018 take place on Wednesday evenings and include the following:
- July 4, 2018 – The Greatest Showman
- July, 2018 – How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
- July 18, 2018 – The Lego Ninjago Movie
- July 25, 2018 – Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
- August 1, 2018 – The Notebook
- August 8, 2018 – Raiders of the Lost Ark
- August 15, 2018 – Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
- August 22, 2018 – Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2
- August 29, 2018 – Black Panther
Click Lansdowne Centre for more information.
Surrey Outdoor Movies
Outdoor Movie Nights in Cloverdale show at sunset on Fridays in the summer in Cloverdale at either Don Christian Park (at 6220 184th Street) or Katzie Elementary School (at 6887 194A Street).
Live entertainment and family games start each evening at 8:00 pm.
The 2018 schedule for Outdoor Movie Nights in Cloverdale is the following:
At Don Christian Recreation Centre
- July 6, 2018 – Ferdinand
- July 20, 2018 – Lego Batman Movie
- August 3, 2018 – Night at the Museum
- August 17, 2018 – Beethoven
At Katzie Elementary School
- July 13, 2018 – The Boss Baby
- July 27, 2018 – Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
- August 10, 2018 – The Lion King
- August 24, 2018 – Coco
For more information about the films at the Don Christian Rec Centre and Katzie Elementary School, see the City of Surrey‘s website.
Movies at Holland Park is another series of outdoor movies that takes place each year at Surrey’s Holland Park at 13428 Old Yale Road not far from Central City mall on Saturday evenings. Each night there is popcorn, hot dogs and burgers available. Admission is by donation with proceeds going to charity.
2018 films at Holland Park include the following:
- August 4, 2018 – Ferdinand
- August 11, 2018 – Coco
- August 18, 2018 – Paddington 2
- August 25, 2018 – Wonder
For more information about the above movies at Holland Park, see the Prospera Credit Union website (as they are the sponsor).
West Vancouver Festival Movies
The Harmony Arts Festival is an arts festival that takes place at the waterfront in West Vancouver in early August each year. In addition to concerts and outdoor art, the festival features an outdoor movie each evening starting at around 9 pm.
The Harmony Arts Festival venue stretches from Ambleside Park near the Ambleside Pier all the way to John Lawson Park, which is the location of the nightly movies.
In 2018 the Harmony Arts Festival runs from August 3rd until the 12th.
2018 Harmony Arts Outdoor Movies
In 2018 the free outdoor movies at West Vancouver’s John Lawson Park include the following:
- August 3, 2018 (Friday) – The Greatest Showman (2017)
- August 4, 2018 (Saturday) – Big Fish (2003)
- August 5, 2018 (Sunday) – Coco (2017)
- August 6, 2018 (Monday) – Beetlejuice (1988)
- August 7, 2018 (Tuesday) – Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
- August 8, 2018 (Wednesday) – Rocky (1976)
- August 9, 2018 (Thursday) – My Fair Lady (1964)
- August 10, 2018 (Friday) – Wonder Woman (2017)
- August 11, 2018 (Saturday) – The Hunger Games (2012)
Check out the Harmony Arts Festival website for more information.
Other Free Outdoor Movie Locations
In addition to all of the above, free films take place at other venues too. See below for other locations.
- Movie Under the Stars – an outdoor film in Squamish’s Junction Park at 37950 Cleveland Avenue as part of the Squamish Wind Festival. The film starts at dusk but family-friendly activities run from around 6:00 until 9:30 pm. In 2018 the festival takes place on the weekend of July 26-28. The 2018 film date and details, however, are to be determined.
- Outdoor Movie at Granville Island – the animation film The Prophet shows at the Ron Basford Park Amphitheatre on Granville Island starting at dusk on Friday, July 13, 2018. Rated G.
For a list of the above movies organized by date, click Free Outdoor Movies Schedule.
For a list of free live music venues, click Free Outdoor Concerts.