Yule Duel is a festive Christmas event in Vancouver’s historic Gastown district where dozens of area choirs sing carols in the street in early December.
If you like choirs and Christmas carols, it’s an event you won’t want to miss.
Vancouver’s Christmas Yule Duel 2018
In 2018 the Yule Duel: Caroling for a Cause event takes place in Gastown on December 6th from 6 to 9 pm.
Last year the event was MC-ed by Bard on the Beach Founder Christopher Gaze and special guest performers included The Carnival Band, Jennifer Hodge and Marcus Mosley. We can’t wait for the 2018 event!
What Happens at Yule Duel
Yule Duel is a two-and-a-half-hour event where twenty or so different choirs of varying sizes and experience perform on the streets of Gastown. On the night expect Gastown to be decorated in sparkling Christmas lights, to see lots of people and to be entertained by beautiful festive seasonal music.
At the event people wander around the street listening to the various choirs and then vote for their favourites.
Yule Duel Cost & Fundraising
Yule Duel is a fundraising event where money raised goes to support May’s Place, a non-profit hospice that serves vulnerable and marginalized people in the Downtown Eastside.
Yule Duel is a free event and open to the public. Being a fundraiser though, people are strongly encouraged to donate and pay $5 for a button.
Buttons are available at the voting booth on the day on Water Street and they allow people to vote for their favourite choirs. Votes are cast before 7 pm and then at 7:30 the top competitors do their duelling!
Where and When
Yule Duel takes place along Water Street which is the main road running through Gastown and conveniently located just a few blocks east of Waterfront Station.
In 2018 the event occurs in the evening of Thursday, December 6th, from 6 until 9 pm.
Yule Duel Schedule
Below is a sample schedule for Yule Duel from 2017. 2018 will be similar.
- 6:00 pm – Yule Duel Kick-Off
- 6:30-7:15 pm – Street Carolling and Voting
- 7:15 pm – Parade of Choirs
- 7:30 pm – Main Stage Finale: with special guest performer Marcus Mosely
- 8:00 pm – Duel Time: musical duel competitions in the Most Creative, Best Vocals and People’s Choice categories.
- 8:30 pm – Yule Duel Closing
2018 Yule Duel Choirs
Choirs that participated in the Yule Duel: Caroling for a Cause event last year and are back again in 2018 include the following:
- Choralation A Cappella
- Collingwood School Warblers
- KPMG – The Caroling Crew (also at the event in 2016)
- Los Parranderos de Vancouver
- Mulgrave Chamber Choir
- Notre Dame Iron Men
- Notre Dame Platinum Girls
- St. James Music Academy (also at the event in 2016)
- UBC Med Choir
- Vancouver Pops Choir
- Zing! Children’s Choir (also at the event in 2016)
Other choirs scheduled to perform at the 2018 event include the following:
- Little Flower Academy Senior Choir
- Mom Choir
- Spiritus Liturgy Choir
- St. George’s Junior Choir
- Vancouver Bach Choir’s Sarabande Choir
Some of the two dozen or so choirs that participate each year are prominent and well-established Vancouver musical groups, like Sweet Scarlet. Others are choirs from area private schools and music schools, and some are simply groups of friends or co-workers coming together specifically for the Yule Duel event.
For more information on this great event, see the Yule Duel: Caroling for a Cause website.
For other Vancouver events and festive activities, check out any of the following:
- Vancouver’s November Calendar
- Vancouver’s December Calendar
- Christmas Craft Fairs
- Top Christmas Activities
- Vancouver Festivals & Events