Yule Duel is a festive Christmas event in Vancouver’s historic Gastown district where dozens of area choirs sing carols in the street in early December.
If you like choirs and Christmas carols, it’s an event you won’t want to miss.
Vancouver’s Christmas Yule Duel 2017
In 2017 the Yule Duel: Caroling for a Cause event takes place in Gastown on December 7th from 6 to 8:30 pm.
This year the event is MC-ed by Bard on the Beach Founder Christopher Gaze and special guest performers include The Carnival Band, Jennifer Hodge and Marcus Mosley.
What Happens at Yule Duel
Yule Duel is a two-and-a-half-hour event where twenty or so different choirs of varying sizes and experience perform on the streets of Gastown. On the night expect Gastown to be decorated in sparkling Christmas lights, to see lots of people and to be entertained by beautiful festive seasonal music.
At the event people wander around the street listening to the various choirs and then vote for their favourites.
Yule Duel Cost & Fundraising
Yule Duel is a fundraising event where money raised goes to support May’s Place, a non-profit hospice that serves vulnerable and marginalized people in the Downtown Eastside.
Yule Duel is a free event and open to the public. Being a fundraiser though, people are strongly encouraged to donate and pay $5 for a button.
Buttons are available at the voting booth on the day on Water Street and they allow people to vote for their favourite choirs. Votes are cast before 7 pm and then at 7:30 the top competitors do their duelling!
Where and When
Yule Duel takes place along Water Street which is the main road running through Gastown and conveniently located just a few blocks east of Waterfront Station.
In 2017 the event occurs in the evening of Thursday, December 7th, from 6 until 8 pm.
2017 Yule Duel Schedule
The schedule for Yule Duel 2017 is listed below.
- 6:00 pm – Yule Duel Kick-Off
- 6:30-7:15 pm – Street Carolling and Voting
- 7:15 pm – Parade of Choirs
- 7:30 pm – Main Stage Finale: with special guest performer Marcus Mosely
- 8:00 pm – Duel Time: musical duel competitions in the Most Creative, Best Vocals and People’s Choice categories.
- 8:30 pm – Yule Duel Closing
2017 Yule Duel Choirs
Choirs participating in the Yule Duel: Caroling for a Cause event in 2017 include the following:
- 50% in French SVP!
- Choralation A Cappella
- Collingwood Warblers
- Higher Ground Women’s Ensemble
- KPMG – The Caroling Crew (also at the event in 2016)
- Langara Student Choir
- LCC Ambassadors
- Los Parranderos de Vancouver
- Mulgrave Sings
- ND Iron Men
- ND Platinum Girls
- Real Treble Makers
- St. James Music Academy (also at the event in 2016)
- Sweet Scarlet (also at the event in 2016)
- UBC Med Choir
- Vancouver Gaelic Choir
- Vancouver Pops Choir
- VanDeca Choir
- Wings Vocal Collective (also at the event in 2016)
- Zing! Children’s Choir (also at the event in 2016)
Some of the above 22 choirs are prominent and well-established Vancouver musical groups, like Sweet Scarlet. Others are choirs from area private schools and music schools, and some are simply groups of friends or co-workers coming together specifically for the Yule Duel event.
For more information on this great event, see the Yule Duel: Caroling for a Cause website.
For other Vancouver events and festive activities, check out any of the following:
- Vancouver’s November Calendar
- Vancouver’s December Calendar
- Christmas Craft Fairs
- Top Christmas Activities
- Vancouver Festivals & Events