Just for Laughs Vancouver is a festival featuring a series of live comedy performances at various venues in Vancouver in February.
It used to be called the JFL Northwest Comedy Festival. Now though it’s called Just For Laughs Vancouver.
COMEDY FESTIVAL IN 2022
The live in-person comedy festival didn’t happen in 2021 because of COVID-19, but it’s back in 2022! Shows take place on May 6th, 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th and 29th. There are also shows on August 10th and 11th as well as on October 2nd and 21st.
See the Just For Laughs Vancouver website for tickets and details.
Just for Laughs Vancouver
Formerly known as the Just for Laughs Northwest Comedy Fest, Just for Laughs Vancouver looks to return with a bang in 2022 after the 2021 edition was cancelled due to the pandemic.
In 2020 the festival ran from February 13th until the 25th (so for about three days longer than the year before). The 2022 festival was scheduled to take place from February 15th to 27th but has been postponed to May 25th to 29th due to COVID concerns. Some of the shows are unable to take place during that time, however, and so are on other dates.
JFL Comedy Fest ticket prices can start as low as about $10 although the most popular tickets cost much more. Some events are for ages 19+ and others are for all ages.
2022 Comedy Fest Schedule
Below is a list of the many comedy performances that are set to take place during the Just for Laughs Vancouver in 2022. Go to the Just for Laughs website for more details. (Note: Times and details are subject to change.)
May 6th, 2022
- Andrew Schulz: The INFAMOUS Tour – this comedian gained fame as a viral sensation on YouTube and continues to host shows for free viewing on the platform. His brash style has led to success in both stand-up and as a podcast host. The show is at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre at 7:00 pm, tickets start at $55.
May 25th, 2022
- Maria Bamford – the star of the Netflix series Lady Dynamite, Maria Bamford is a very personal comedian who touches on some heavier subjects. Her show is at the Vogue Theatre at 7:00 pm. Tickets start at around $35.
- Joel Kim Booster – Joel Kim Booster is an American stand-up comedian who is set to have his first full-length comedy special this year. This show costs $30 and is at the Rio Theatre at 7:00 pm.
- Brandon Wardell – the host of the comedy podcast Yeah, But Still who also featured on the Netflix series I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson. He performs at the Biltmore Cabaret at 7:00 pm. Tickets are a little under $30.
- Vancouver Special Comedy Show – a show at the Fox Cabaret with cast of different special guests. It begins at 8:30 pm and tickets are $20.
- Full Pint Comedy – a weekly show at the Castaway Bar & Kitchen where hosts Ryan Williams and Colin Sharp bring in guest comedians. The show starts at 9:00 pm and tickets cost $20.
- Chris Fleming – an irreverent comic who has amassed a strong following on YouTube, he performs at the Rio Theatre at 9:30 pm. Tickets are around $30.
May 26th, 2022
- ALOK – a gender non-conforming performer and public speaker, ALOK explores various personal themes like the sense of belonging and trauma. They perform at the Rio Theatre at 7:00 pm and again at 9:00 pm. Tickets are $30.
- Monét X Change – one of the most decorated contestants from Rupaul’s Drag Race, she has released a music EP, co-hosts both a talk show and a podcast and performs a one-woman show. She takes the stage at the Vogue Theatre at 7:00 pm. Tickets are $40.
- The Scrawny Show – a regular show at the ANZA Club, local comedians take the stage beginning at 8:00 pm. Tickets cost just $16.
- Comedy World – a series of comedians perform at China Cloud Studios with tight sets. The show begins at 8:00 pm and is followed by some karaoke. Tickets are around $20.
May 27th, 2022
- Tito Cheeto Tour – Andrew Santino Live – he stars in the comedy show Dave and has performed many times on Comedy Central. He performs at the Vogue Theatre beginning at 7:00 pm. Tickets start at $45.
- Michael Kosta – a senior correspondent on the Daily Show and a former host and producer on the E! Network. Tickets for his show cost around $30 and it begins at 7:00 pm at the Rio Theatre.
- The HERO SHOW – a sketch comedy show at Stage 6 at 8:00 pm. Multiple comedians will take the stage with a range of different styles of performance. Tickets are $20.
- Soda Fountain – a variety show hosted by Graeme Achurch and Nathan Hare with stand-up, improv and other types of comedy on display. Tickets are $15 and the show begins at 9:00 pm at the China Cloud.
- Roy Wood Jr. – another correspondent from the Daily Show, Roy Wood Jr. has multiple successful Comedy Central specials and a popular podcast. The show begins at 9:30 pm at the Vogue and tickets cost a little over $30.
- Wine & Crime – this is a live recording of a true crime podcast at the Rio Theatre. In it, the hosts dive deep into a series of cases while also pouring themselves a few glasses and having a good time. The show begins at 9:30 and tickets cost around $30.
May 28th, 2022
- Come Thru – Caleb Hearon & Holmes Holmes – these two comedians co-hosts a regular show in Chicago called At What Cost? that features various guest comedians. They take the stage at the Biltmore Cabaret at 4:30 pm to perform some of their own stand-up. Tickets are a little under $30.
- Dana Gould – a comedy veteran who has a number of stand-up specials under his belt as well as appearances in multiple TV shows. He performs at the Rio Theatre at 7:00 pm. Tickets cost $30.
- Marc Maron: This May Be the Last Time – Marc Maron has had a series of successful stand-up specials along with his very successful podcast WTF with Marc Maron. He takes the stage at the Vogue for another comedy special beginning at 7:00 pm, tickets starting at around $45.
- Dan and Ken: Comedy with Music! – an improv show determined by conversations with the audience, there are also plenty of improvised songs. The show is at the Havana Theatre at 7:30 pm. Tickets are $25.
- Cameron Esposito – the host of the podcast Queery and an actor and writer who was recently featured in the New York Times. Her show begins at 9:30 pm at the Rio Theatre. Tickets are $30.
- Jimmy O. Yang – an actor and comedian best-known for his roles on the show Silicon Valley as well as the movie Crazy Rich Asians. He takes the stage at the Vogue Theatre at 9:30 pm. Tickets are around $35.
May 29th, 2022
- Jimmy O. Yang – an actor and comedian best-known for his roles on the show Silicon Valley as well as the movie Crazy Rich Asians. He takes the stage at the Vogue Theatre at both 7:00 pm and 9:30 pm. Tickets are around $35.
- Comedy Pants – hosted by Alistair Ogden, this is a variety show that features a number of local comedians. The show begins at 7:00 pm at the China Cloud and tickets cost under $20.
- Gavin Matts – Gavin Matts is a Vancouver-born comedian who was the youngest winner of the SiriusXM Top Comic Competition back in 2017. He’s guest starred multiple times on Comedy Central and performed on Conan as well. His show is at the Biltmore Cabaret at 7:00 pm and also 9:30 pm, tickets start at around $28.
- Sunday Night Stand Up Comedy – a weekly show at the Comedy After Dark comedy club in the Duncan Building downtown. It’s a lineup of Vancouver comedians with this special edition opening at 7:00 pm. Tickets cost $20.
August 10th and 11th, 2022
- John Mulaney: From Scratch – this Emmy-award winning comedian is one of the most popular touring comics around with multiple sold out tours and popular stand-up specials. He performs two shows at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre on August 10th (at 7:00 pm and 9:30 pm) and a third on August 11th at 7:00 pm.
October 2nd, 2022
- Vir Das’ Manic Man World Tour – Bollywood star Vir Das is India’s biggest stand-up comedian and has now had multiple comedy specials under his belt in North America. He performs two shows at the Vogue Theatre beginning at 7:00 pm and 9:30 pm. Tickets start at around $35.
October 21st, 2022
- Not Another D&D Podcast – a live show for this popular adventure game podcast. Join the intrepid heroes of the Band of Boobs at the Vogue Theatre at 7:00 pm. Tickets cost $45.
For more information see the Just For Laughs Vancouver website.
Note: The Just for Laughs Comedy Festival used to be called the JFL Northwest Comedy Fest (but not anymore).
For other ideas on things to do in the Lower Mainland see the Vancouver’s Events Calendar.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver Shows & Entertainment
- Entertainment in Vancouver
- New Westminster Comedy Club
- Vancouver TheatreSports (a comedy improv venue on Granville Island)