The Just for Laughs Northwest Comedy Fest is a festival featuring a series of live comedy performances at various venues in Vancouver in February.
CANCELLED IN 2021
The live in-person comedy festival has been cancelled for 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic. Hopefully COVID-19 will be under control enough in time for it to return in 2022.
JFL’s Northwest Comedy Fest in Vancouver
In 2020 the festival ran from February 13 until the 25 (so for about three days longer than the year before). The event was cancelled for 2021. 2020 details are to be confirmed.
The same as 2the year before, 2020 Northwest Comedy Fest ticket prices started at about $10. Some events were for ages 19+ and others were for all ages. Hopefully this will remain the same in 2021.
Comedians scheduled to perform in 2020 included Bill Burr, Hannah Gadsby, Middleditch & Schwartz, Patton Oswalt and many more.
2020 Comedy Fest Schedule
Below is a list of just some of the many comedy performances that took place during the JFL Northwest Comedy Fest in Vancouver in 2020. If the festival does take place in 2021, details will likely be similar.
(Note: Times and details were subject to change.)
February 14, 2020
- Maria Bamford – this comedic actress performed at the Vogue Theatre at 618 Granville Street at 7 pm on Friday, February 14 (which is Valentine’s Day). Tickets for audience members ages 19+ were $34.50.
February 15, 2020
- Middleditch & Schwartz – they have been featured in many TV shows such as Schwartz in Parks and Rec and Middleditch in Silicon Valley. This comedic duo performed an improv show at the Orpheum Theatre at 601 Smithe Street on Saturday, February 15, at 8:30 pm. Tickets were $49.50 to $55.00 for those ages 19+.
- Margaret Cho – this actress and comedian takes a stance on political and social issues about primarily sexuality and race. She performed at the Vogue Theatre at 618 Granville Street on Saturday, February 15, at 7 pm. Tickets were around $39.50.
February 20 and 21, 2020
- Bill Burr – the stand-up comedian who is known for his sitcom F Is for Family and co-creating the network All Things Comedy performed at the Orpheum Theatre at 601 Smithe Street. Tickets were between $52.50 and $74.50 for those ages 19+.
February 22, 2020
- Patton Oswald – this famous actor and stand-up comedian who is well known for his voiceover work as Remy in Ratatouille and narrating The Goldbergs performed at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre at 630 Hamilton Street at 7 pm. Tickets were for sale between $39.50 and $55.00 for this 19+ show.
- How Did This Get Made Live! – Paul Scheer, Jason Mantzoukas and June Diane Raphael discussed Abraxas, Guardian of the Universe, at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre at 9:30 pm on Saturday, February 22. Ticket prices ranged from $49 to $69 depending on where you sat.
February 24 and 25, 2020
- Hannah Gadsby – an Australian comedian performed her solo show ‘Douglas’ at the Orpheum Theatre at 601 Smithe Street on Monday, February 24, and Tuesday, February 25. Both shows started at 7:30 pm and ticket prices were between $60 and $85.
The above is just a sample of the four dozen or so comedy shows that took place over the course of the festival. For more information see the JFL Northwest Comedy Fest website.
For other ideas on things to do in Vancouver see the February Events Calendar.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver Shows & Entertainment
- Entertainment in Vancouver
- New Westminster Comedy Club
- Vancouver TheatreSports (a comedy improv venue on Granville Island)