The Tsawwassen Sun Festival is a community event in early August. It normally includes a softball tournament, pancake breakfast, parade and vintage car show.
At the festival there is also usually a beer garden, lawn bowling tournament, skateboard competition, volleyball tournament, antique fair, bingo, live music, talent show and outdoor drive-in movie.
In 2021 the event ran on the August Long Weekend, as per usual, but in a smaller-than-normal, scaled back format. The 2022 event was more of a return to what the festival was like pre-pandemic. 2023 will likely be the same.
Tsawwassen Sun Festival
In 2023 the festival runs from August 5th to 7th. It’s a popular event for locals especially, as well as for folk participating in its various sporting competitions.
2023 Event Schedule
Activities and scheduled times for the Tsawwassen Sun Festival in 2023 are listed below.
As you will see, the main day of the festival, and the one of most importance and interest to children and young families, is the holiday Monday.
Below is the tentative schedule of events for 2023.
(Note: Event times and details in the following schedule are subject to change.)
Saturday, August 5th, 2023
- Slo-Pitch Tournament – the 20-team tournament runs from 10:00 am until 5:30 pm at Winskill Park.
- Bingo – bingo tournaments at the South Delta Recreation Centre running from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
- Co-Ed Grass Volleyball Tournament – a team of six players per team (with at least two males and two females per team) takes place at Dennison Park from 9:30 am to 2:30 pm.
Sunday, August 6th, 2023
- Slo-Pitch Tournament – the 20-team tournament continues with Round Robin games starting from 10:00 am until 5:30 pm at Winskill Park.
- Movie Night – Diefenbaker Park hosts a free outdoor movie screening starting at 6:30 pm. Take along a towel or blanket to sit on and don’t forget to bring your snacks.
Monday, August 7th, 2023
- Pancake Breakfast – the Tsawwassen Boundary Bay Lions Club hosts a pancake and sausage breakfast at 8:00 am.
- Rotary Parade – the parade runs down 56th Street to Winskill Park beginning at 11:00 am. You can expect small cars, floats, music and more.
- Sun Festival Classic Car Show – the car show takes place at Winskill Park during and after the parade. There are vehicles from all different eras to check out between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm.
- Slo-Pitch Tournament – the 20-team tournament concludes with games from 9:00 am until 5:30 pm at Winskill Park.
- Pie Eating – an open-invitation pie eating contest at Winskill Park.
- Beer Garden – for those who are 19+ there is a beer garden open at Winskill Park.
- Marketplace and Food Vendors – check out local vendors displaying products, creations and offering programs happening at Winskill Park Center Field.
Festival Location & Venues
The festival usually takes place in the community of Tsawwassen which is in the municipality of Delta and located about half an hour south of downtown Vancouver (in good traffic). It’s also just a short drive away from one of the Lower Mainland’s two main BC Ferries terminals connecting the region to Vancouver Island.
In 2023, venues for the festival include the following:
- Winskill Park – at 5585 9th Avenue, it’s the location for most of the events including the car show, beer garden, slo-pitch tournament, and more.
- South Delta Recreation Centre – at 1720 56th Street, it’s where the bingo tournaments take place.
- Diefenbaker Park – the movie night takes place here at 5579 1st Avenue.
- 56th Street – where the Monday morning parade runs from 11:00 am between 16th Avenue and 9th.
While you’re in the area, consider checking out Boundary Bay Regional Park. It’s just a short drive away and has a large sandy beach as well as hiking, cycling and horseback riding trails.
For more information about the slo-pitch tournament and community event, click Tsawwassen Sun Festival.
For a list of other festivals this month check out Vancouver’s August Calendar or Festivals & Events Calendar.