Trout Lake is a small lake at Vancouver’s John Hendry Park that’s also home to the Trout Lake Community Centre and a large farmers’ market in the summer.
This article contains information about the lake, the community centre and events that take place in the area. For more information about the park and its Saturday summer market, click John Hendry Park or Trout Lake Farmers Market.
MUSIC ON THE BOW AT TROUT LAKE
Music on the Bow is a series of free live music performances at the Trout Lake Community Centre. In warmer months they usually take place outside between the building and the children’s play area. Occasionally though they’ll happen indoors (like on days with bad weather).
Upcoming Music on the Bow performances are listed below. (Note: times and other details are subject to change.)
- Wednesday January 16, 2019 – with The Soda Crackers from 7:00 until 9:00 pm. (The group is a local band that plays everything from Country to Bluegrass, Jazz and Western Swing.)
- Wednesday January 23, 2019 – with the Blue Lasso Band from 1:00 until 3:00 pm.
- Thursday February 14, 2019 – with Rain City Swing from 7:00 until 9:00 pm.
- Wednesday February 20, 2019 – with The Soda Crackers from 7:00 until 9:00 pm.
- Wednesday February 27, 2019 – with the Blue Lasso Band from 1:00 until 3:00 pm.
- Thursday March 7, 2019 – with the Backspin Bluegrass Band from 1:00 until 3:00 pm.
- Thursday March 14, 2019 – with Rain City Swing from 7:00 until 9:00 pm.
- Wednesday March 20, 2019 – with The Soda Crackers from 7:00 until 9:00 pm.
Vancouver’s Trout Lake
Trout Lake is a small urban lake located in John Hendry Park between East 14th and East 19th Avenue. Victoria Drive runs along the western side of the park and South Grandview Highway passes its northeast corner.
At the south end of the lake there are public washrooms, a concession stand and small sandy beach. Barbecues are permitted in the area and in the summer there is a swimming raft in the water. Lifeguards are on duty between late May and the beginning of September.
At 3360 Victoria Drive, the Trout Lake Community Centre is less than a 5-minute walk from the beach, and between the community centre and the lake there’s an amazing children’s play area.
At the north end of the lake is another beach, although that one is also in an off-leash area for dogs (so not recommended for swimming unless you have four legs and a tail). All around the lake is a walking path, and at the park there are basketball courts, a soccer field, baseball diamond and tennis courts.
Parking at Trout Lake is free and boats are not permitted in the water (except with special permission).
Trout Lake Community Centre
The Trout Lake Community Centre is located at 3360 Victoria Drive in the southwest corner of John Hendry Park. It’s a pretty typical community centre with a fitness centre and programs for all ages.
At the Trout Lake Community Centre there is a preschool, sports activities in the gym and programming for seniors. There are also fitness, art, dance and other classes for children, teens and adults.
Trout Lake Events
A number of events take place at Trout Lake, both in the park and at the community centre. Major events include National Indigenous People’s Day on June 21st each year. Smaller events include Music on the Bow performances (as listed above), as well as seasonal events (like on Family Day, at Easter and other holidays and special occasions).
For more information about the community centre and its events see the Trout Lake Community Centre website.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- John Hendry Park
- Vancouver Parks and Places in Nature
- Trout Lake Farmers Market
- Lower Mainland Farmers Markets
- Vancouver on a Budget
- Vancouver for Children
- Vancouver’s Best Beaches