Free ice skating takes place from December until February on the outdoor ice rink at Vancouver’s Robson Square at the corner of Robson Street and Howe.
The skating is free and you can rent skates for a reasonable fee. Also, at Robson Square on certain days in December, there are free concerts. See below for details.
Robson Square Ice Skating and Entertainment
Robson Square is a public square that includes a covered outdoor ice rink in winter. At other times of the year the facility is used for dance lessons, special events and other activities.
Skating is free and you can bring your own skates or rent them at the facility for around $5 a pair. Payment is cash only and skate rentals finish half an hour before closing each day.
Skating Hours & Dates
This winter season the skating at Robson Square takes place from December 1st, 2018, until February 28th, 2019. It runs most of the time from 9 am until 9 pm from Sundays to Thursdays and from 9 am until 11 pm on Saturdays and Sundays. On Christmas Day, however, the hours of operation are from noon until 5 pm and on New Year’s Eve from 9 am until 11 pm.
12 Nights of Christmas
Over the Christmas holidays in 2017/18 ice skating at Robson Square was extra special on 12 different evenings with live music by popular local bands and musicians. We hope these special events return in 2018/19.
See below for a sample of the 2017 schedule of performances. Most concerts were in the evenings from 6:30 until 9:30 pm, although on weekends there were occasionally additional performances in the afternoons.
- (Wednesday) December 13th, 2017 – with the LeftCoast Group playing Funk and Jazz between 6:30 and 9:30 pm.
- (Thursday) December 14th, 2017 – with saxophonist Karla Sax performing between 6:30 and 9:30 pm
- (Friday) December 15th, 2017 – with The Agency between 6:30 and 9:30 pm
- (Saturday) December 16th, 2017 – with DJ Dee Selectress between 6:30 and 9:30 pm
- (Sunday) December 17th, 2017
- (Monday) December 18th, 2017 – with the Malcolm Aiken Quartet between 6:30 and 9:30 pm
- (Tuesday) December 19th, 2017 – with the Company B Jazz Band from 6:30 until 9:30 pm
- (Wednesday) December 20th, 2017 – Caviar & Lace entertain with a mix of Jazz between 6:30 and 9:30 pm
- (Thursday) December 21st, 2017 – with soul and gospel-singing Warren Dean Flandez between 6:30 and 9:30 pm
- (Friday) December 22nd, 2017 – with DJ-El-Niño between 6:30 and 9:30 pm
- (Saturday) December 23rd, 2017
- (Sunday) December 24th, 2017
- (Sunday) December 31st, 2017 – Rumba Calzada play a mix of Salsa, Latin and Afro-Cuban tunes from 6:30 to 9:30 pm.
Skating Dates & Hours
Most seasons the free ice skating at Robson Square runs from December 1st until February 14th, which is Valentine’s Day. However, if temperatures permit, the free skating season may continue until the very end of February.
Hours of admission in the past have been 9 am until 9 pm Sunday to Thursday and from 9 am until 11 pm on Fridays and Saturdays.
Robson Square Location
Robson Square is located in the 800 block of Robson Street between Howe and Hornby streets behind the Vancouver Art Gallery.
For more information see the Robson Square website.