The skating is free and you can rent skates for a reasonable fee. The facility opened for the 2021/22 season on December 2nd.
This article contains the following information about skating at Robson Square:
Robson Square Ice Skating and Entertainment
Designed by famous Vancouver architect Arthur Erickson, Robson Square is a public space that includes a covered outdoor ice rink in winter. At other times of the year the facility is used for dance lessons, special events and other activities.
Skating on the 6,000 sq. foot rink is free and you can bring your own skates or rent them at the facility.
Skating Hours & Dates
The skating at Robson Square last took place from December 1st, 2019, until February 29th, 2020. It did not take place in the 2020/21 season due to the pandemic, but it returned for the 2021/22 season.
During the winter season the rink is open seven days a week including holidays. Sundays to Thursdays the hours of operation are from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm. On Fridays and Saturdays it’s open from 9:00 am to 11:00 pm. The exception was Christmas Day, when the rink closed at 5:00 pm.
The skating season ended for the season at the end of February in 2022. It’s re-opening date for next winter is TBC.
Ice skating is free at Robson Square. However, folks who don’t have their own skates can rent them for $5 a pair until half an hour before closing (and each pair comes with a helmet). Ice cleats are also available to borrow for $2.
For people who bring their own skates, sharpening costs $5 when the service is available.
Live Music at Christmas
Most years, over the Christmas holidays, ice skating at Robson Square is extra special. That’s because, on about a dozen different days there is live music performed by popular local bands and musicians.
There wasn’t any live music scheduled for 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Happily, it returned in 2021. See below for last season’s schedule. For the most part the shows were in the evening but there were a couple afternoon performances.
Twelve Days of Christmas Entertainment Schedule
- Monday, December 13th, 2021 – Malcolm Aiken Quarter performed between 6:00 and 9:00 pm.
- Tuesday, December 14th, 2021 – SnapDragon performed from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Wednesday, December 15th, 2021 – Tom Arntzen and The Hot Mamas performed from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Thursday, December 16th, 2021 – PK3 Jazz Trio performed between 6:00 and 9:00 pm.
- Friday, December 17th, 2021 – The Agency performed from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Saturday, December 18th, 2021 – Rumba Calzada played a mix of Salsa, Latin and Afro-Cuban tunes from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Sunday, December 19th, 2021 – Showstoppers performed from 2:30 to 4:15 pm followed by Caviar & Lace from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Monday, December 20th, 2021 – Karla Sax performed from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Tuesday, December 21st, 2021 – Warren Dean Flandez Band performed from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Wednesday, December 22nd, 2021 – DJ Barron S performed between 6:00 and 9:00 pm.
- Thursday, December 23rd, 2021 – Phat Santa Swings performed from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Friday, December 24th, 2021 – Santa’s Brass performed from 2:00 to 5:00 pm.
Robson Square Location
The plaza is in the 800 block of Robson Street between Howe and Hornby streets behind the Vancouver Art Gallery. The ice skating rink is in the middle of the square. The rink is open-air, but also covered and partly underground.
Robson Square Ice Skating Video
To give you an idea of what the rink and ice skating look like at Robson Square, check out the following video. It was filmed in January of 2022.
As you’ll see in the video, the rink is right in the heart of downtown Vancouver. Also, although mostly outside, but it’s fully covered.
For more information about the ice skating and other events at the venue see the Robson Square website.
Other articles you might be interested in include the following:
- North Vancouver Shipyards (where more free outdoor skating takes place)
- Vancouver’s December, January and February calendars
- Vancouver Winter Activities
- Best Christmas Activities
- Christmas Concerts