The skating is free and you can rent skates for a reasonable fee.
ICE SKATING AT THE SHIPYARDS NOW OPEN!
In addition to the free skating opportunities in downtown Vancouver at Robson Square, as of December 2019 there is now free ice staking at the giant outdoor rink at Shipyard Commons on the North Shore too.
Located just a 5-minute walk from the SeaBus terminal at the Shipyards in the Lower Lonsdale District of North Vancouver, at 12,000 sq. feet in area, the new facility is massive (and about twice the size of the rink at Robson Square)!
For information about the downtown Vancouver venue, continue reading. For details about the North Vancouver rink, however, see our article about the Shipyards.
Robson Square Ice Skating and Entertainment
Designed by famous Vancouver architect Arthur Erickson, Robson Square is a public space that includes a covered outdoor ice rink in winter. At other times of the year the facility is used for dance lessons, special events and other activities.
Skating on the 6,000 sq. foot rink is free and you can bring your own skates or rent them at the facility for around $5 a pair. Payment is cash only and skate rentals finish half an hour before closing each day.
Skating Hours & Dates
This winter season the skating at Robson Square took place last from December 1st, 2019, until February 29th, 2019. It ran most of the time from 9 am until 9 pm from Sundays to Thursdays and from 9 am until 11 pm on Fridays and Saturdays. On Christmas Day, however, the hours of operation were from noon until 5 pm and on New Year’s Eve from 9 am until 11 pm.
2020 details are to be confirmed; however, they are expected to be comparable to last year.
Live Music at Christmas
Most years, over the Christmas holidays, ice skating at Robson Square is extra special. That’s because, on about a dozen different evenings and three or so afternoons, there is live music by popular local bands and musicians.
See below for the 2019 schedule of performances. Most concerts are in the evenings from 6:00 until 9:00 pm, although on weekends there are occasionally additional performances in the afternoons. We expect 2020 details to be similar.
(Note: Schedule details are subject to change.)
- Friday, December 13th, 2019 – with The Agency performing between 6:00 and 9:00 pm.
- Saturday, December 14th, 2019 – with Karla Sax performing from 2:30 to 4:15 pm and again from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Sunday, December 15th, 2019
- Monday, December 16th, 2019 – with the PK3 Jazz Trio between 6:00 and 9:00 pm.
- Tuesday, December 17th, 2019 – with the Malcolm Aiken Quartet from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Wednesday, December 18th, 2019 – Rumba Calzada plays a mix of Salsa, Latin and Afro-Cuban tunes from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Thursday, December 19th, 2019 – Caviar & Lace entertain with a mix of Jazz between 6:00 and 9:00 pm.
- Friday, December 20th, 2019 – with LeftCoast from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Saturday, December 21st, 2019
- Showstoppers perform from 2:30 to 4:15 pm.
- Soul and Gospel-singing Warren Dean Flandez entertains from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Sunday, December 22nd, 2019 – DJ-El-Niño performs between 2:15 and 9:00 pm (with a break from 4:15 to 6:00 pm).
- Monday, December 23rd, 2019 – Phat Santa Swings performs from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Tuesday, December 24th, 2019 – with Santa’s Brass from 6:00 until 9:00 pm.
- Tuesday, December 31st, 2019 – The Phonix Band performs from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
Robson Square Location
Robson Square is located in the 800 block of Robson Street between Howe and Hornby streets behind the Vancouver Art Gallery.
For more information about the ice skating and other events at the venue see the Robson Square website.
Other articles you might be interested in include the following:
- North Vancouver Shipyards (where more free outdoor skating takes place)
- Vancouver’s December, January and February calendars
- Vancouver Winter Activities
- Best Christmas Activities
- Christmas Concerts