Free ice skating takes place from December until February on the outdoor ice rink at Vancouver’s Robson Square at the corner of Robson Street and Howe.
The skating is free and you can rent skates for a reasonable fee. The facility opened for the 2022/23 season on December 1st and the skating continues until the end of February (weather permitting).
This article contains the following information about skating at Robson Square:
Skating Hours & Dates | Rental Fees | Live Music at Christmas | Robson Square Location | Ice Skating Video | Other Information
Robson Square Ice Skating and Entertainment
Designed by famous Vancouver architect Arthur Erickson, Robson Square is a public space that includes a covered outdoor ice rink in winter. At other times of the year the facility is used for dance lessons, special events and other activities.
Skating on the 6,000 sq. foot rink is free and you can bring your own skates or rent them at the facility.
Skating Hours & Dates
During the winter season the rink is open seven days a week including holidays. Sundays to Thursdays the hours of operation are from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm. On Fridays and Saturdays it’s open from 9:00 am to 11:00 pm. However, hours on Christmas Eve are from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm and hours on Christmas Day are from 12:00 to 5:00 pm.
The skating season starts on December 1st, 2022, and runs until February 28th, 2023.
Ice skating is free at Robson Square. However, folks who don’t have their own skates can rent them for $5 a pair until half an hour before closing (and each pair comes with a helmet). Ice cleats are also available to borrow for $2.
For people who bring their own skates, sharpening costs $5 when the service is available.
Live Music at Christmas
Most years, over the Christmas holidays, ice skating at Robson Square is extra special. That’s because, on about a dozen different days there is live music performed by popular local bands and musicians.
The live music runs from December 13th to 24th in 2022. Performances take place from 6:00 to 9:00 pm most days. There are also some additional performances. See below for the 2022 schedule.
Twelve Days of Christmas Entertainment Schedule
- Tuesday, December 13th, 2022 – Tom Arntzen performs between 6:00 and 9:00 pm.
- Wednesday, December 14th, 2022 – Tamara Rhodes Band performs from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Thursday, December 15th, 2022 – SnapDragon performs from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Friday, December 16th, 2022 – Omi and the Homies perform between 6:00 and 9:00 pm.
- Saturday, December 17th, 2022 – The British Columbia Regiment Band Society performs from 2:30 to 4:15 pm, and Top Line Vocal Collective performs from 6:00 to 9:00 pm with special guests.
- Sunday, December 18th, 2022 – Perry Ehrlich’s ShowStoppers take the stage from 2:30 to 4:15 pm, followed by DJ Barron S from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Monday, December 19th, 2022 – Caviar & Lace perform from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Tuesday, December 20th, 2022 – Malcolm Aiken Quartet perform from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Wednesday, December 21st, 2022 – Pk3 Jazz Trio perform from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Thursday, December 22nd, 2022 – DJ El Niño performs between 6:00 and 9:00 pm.
- Friday, December 23rd, 2022 – Scott Robertson’s Phat Santa Swing performs from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
- Saturday, December 24th, 2022 – Santa’s Brass perform from 2:00 to 5:00 pm.
- Saturday, December 31st, 2022 – Rumba Calzada performs from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
Robson Square Location
The plaza is in the 800 block of Robson Street between Howe and Hornby streets behind the Vancouver Art Gallery. The ice skating rink is in the middle of the square. The rink is open-air, but also covered and partly underground.
Robson Square Ice Skating Video
To give you an idea of what the rink and ice skating look like at Robson Square, check out the following video. It was filmed in January of 2022.
As you’ll see in the video, the rink is right in the heart of downtown Vancouver. Also, although mostly outside, but it’s fully covered.
For more information about the ice skating and other events at the venue see the Robson Square website.
Other articles you might be interested in include the following:
- North Vancouver Shipyards (where more free outdoor skating takes place)
- Vancouver’s December, January and February calendars
- Vancouver Winter Activities
- Best Christmas Activities
- Christmas Concerts