Free ice skating takes place from December until February on the outdoor ice rink at Vancouver’s Robson Square at the corner of Robson Street and Howe.
The skating is free and you can rent skates for a reasonable fee.
Robson Square Ice Skating and Entertainment
Robson Square is a public square that includes a covered outdoor ice rink in winter. At other times of the year the facility is used for dance lessons, special events and other activities.
Skating is free and you can bring your own skates or rent them at the facility for around $5 a pair. Payment is cash only and skate rentals finish half an hour before closing each day.
Skating Hours & Dates
This winter season the skating at Robson Square takes place from December 1st, 2018, until February 28th, 2019. It runs most of the time from 9 am until 9 pm from Sundays to Thursdays and from 9 am until 11 pm on Fridays and Saturdays. On Christmas Day, however, the hours of operation are from noon until 5 pm and on New Year’s Eve from 9 am until 11 pm.
Live Music at Christmas
Most years, over the Christmas holidays, ice skating at Robson Square is extra special. That’s because, on about a dozen different evenings and three or so afternoons, there is live music by popular local bands and musicians.
See below for the 2018 schedule of performances. Most concerts are in the evenings from 6:00 until 9:00 pm, although on weekends there are occasionally additional performances in the afternoons. (Note: Schedule details are subject to change.)
Most of the bands playing last year at the venue were back again in 2018. New though were Barron S, the PK3 Jazz Trio, Vancouver Tuba Christmas and Marie Hui ft. Trilojay. All the others were past participants at the event.
- (Thursday) December 13th, 2018 – with saxophonist Karla Sax performing between 6:00 and 9:00 pm
- (Friday) December 14th, 2018 – with Barron S between 6:00 and 9:00 pm
- (Saturday) December 15th, 2018
- Vancouver Tuba Christmas from 2:30 until 4:15 pm
- The Agency between 6:00 and 9:00 pm
- (Sunday) December 16th, 2018
- (Monday) December 17th, 2018 – with Marie Hui ft. Trilojay between 6:00 and 9:00 pm
- (Tuesday) December 18th, 2018 – with the Malcolm Aiken Quartet from 6:00 and 9:00 pm
- (Wednesday) December 19th, 2018 – with DJ-El-Niño between 6:00 and 9:00 pm
- (Thursday) December 20th, 2018 – Caviar & Lace entertain with a mix of Jazz between 6:00 and 9:00 pm
- (Friday) December 21st, 2018 – with Soul and Gospel-singing Warren Dean Flandez between 6:00 and 9:00 pm
- (Saturday) December 22nd, 2018 – with DJ-El-Niño between 2:30 and 9:00 pm
- (Sunday) December 23rd, 2018
- Santa’s Brass from 2:30 until 4:15 pm
- Phat Santa Swings between 6:00 and 9:00 pm
- (Monday) December 24th, 2018 – with Tom Arntzen and The Hot Mamas between 6:00 and 9:00 pm
- (Monday) December 31st, 2018 – Rumba Calzada plays a mix of Salsa, Latin and Afro-Cuban tunes from 6:00 and 9:00 pm
Robson Square Location
Robson Square is located in the 800 block of Robson Street between Howe and Hornby streets behind the Vancouver Art Gallery.
For more information about the ice skating and other events at the venue see the Robson Square website.
Other articles you might be interested in include the following:
- Vancouver’s December, January and February calendars
- Vancouver Winter Activities
- Best Christmas Activities
- Christmas Concerts