Metro Vancouver’s series of outdoor live music performances is back on Thursdays and Saturdays in July and August in White Rock, with a new name TD Concerts FOR the Pier.
CONCERTS FOR THE PIER POSTPONED
Due to concerns about the spread of the novel coronavirus the 2020 season of Concerts for the Pier has been postponed. All artists and performers scheduled for the 2020 season will be performing in Summer 2021.
For more information visit the White Rock BIA website.
TD Concerts For the Pier
Concerts at the Pier have been taking place in the summer for the past three years. In the winter of 2018, a devastating storm destroyed the White Rock pier. So for the 2019 concerts, all proceeds went to rebuilding the beloved White Rock pier. Hence, the name change from Concerts at the Pier to Concerts FOR the Pier.
The evening events usually run from around 7 until 9 pm and they typically feature a headliner band as well as one or two opening groups. The concerts are free and highly recommended.
Interestingly, the concerts don’t actually take place near the pier in White Rock. A couple of them take place in the Five Corners neighbourhood of town, and up until last year the rest did indeed happen next to the museum not far from the pier. Since 2018, about a third of the concerts take place at East Beach.
Concerts For the Pier Details
For an idea of what to expect in 2021, White Rock evening concerts in 2019 included the following:
- Thursday, July 4 – Stonebolt at West Beach at 7 pm.
- Saturday, July 13 – Kalimba at the Five Corners area of town at 8 pm.
- Thursday, July 18 – Eagle Eyes with The Fab Fourever at East Beach at 7 pm.
- Thursday, July 25 – Jim Byrnes with Babe Gurr at West Beach at 7 pm.
- Thursday, August 8 – Dr. Strangelove with the Duelling Pianos at Five Corners at 7 pm.
- Thursday, August 15 – The Crash Test Dummies with Fionn at East Beach at 7 pm.
Most years there is at least one major band from decades past. In 2017 it was the band Chilliwack as well as Platinum Blonde. In 2018, the most famous group was Honeymoon Suite.
White Rock Concert Locations
The Thursday events used to take place on the Main Stage by the pier at the waterfront in the 15000 block of Marine Drive. As of the last couple of years, some concerts take place at East Beach by the strip of restaurants which include Moby Dick’s at 15479 Marine Drive. A couple of concerts still take place at West Beach, which is located near the pier and not far from the museum. Others take place at the “Five Corners” intersection of Pacific Avenue, Buena Vista Avenue and Johnston Road.
Tips and Advice
Below are some tips to help you make the most out of your Concerts at the Pier experience.
TIP #1: Arrive early if you hope to have a chance to find parking anywhere near the beach.
TIP #2: If you like live music and beautiful beaches then go at least once to a Concerts FOR the Pier event. They are really worth it!
TIP #3: Try to visit White Rock at least once at low tide. The exposed sandy beach is amazing! Click White Rock Tide Schedule to see where the water will be at different times and dates.
About White Rock
White Rock is an exceptional resort town in the south-central region of the Lower Mainland not far from the US border. It features a long beautiful sandy beach and numerous restaurants.
The town also hosts a number of interesting events in addition to the Concerts on the Pier series including the following:
- White Rock Farmers Market – a large weekly market running from May until October.
- Canada Day Celebrations – on July 1st each year.
- Tour de White Rock – a major cycling race in mid-July.
- White Rock Sea Festival – a large festival over the BC Day Long Weekend in early August.
- Picnic on the Pier – a fundraising event for the Peace Arch Hospital Foundation where participants enjoy a fancy dinner on the Pier in August.
For more details about the summer concert series, see the White Rock BIA website.
For more information about the town itself, click White Rock.
For a list of other free concerts in the Lower Mainland in summer, click Free Outdoor Concerts.