Metro Vancouver’s TD Concerts at the Pier is a series of outdoor live music performances on Thursdays and Saturdays in July and August in White Rock.
TD Concerts at the Pier
TD Concerts at the Pier have been taking place in the summer for the past three years. In 2018 they take place on three Thursday evenings and one Saturday in July, as well as on two Saturdays in August.
The evening events usually run from around 7 until 10 pm and typically feature a headliner band as well as one or two opening groups. The concerts are free and highly recommended.
Interestingly, the concerts don’t actually take place near the pier in White Rock. A couple of them take place in the Five Corners neighbourhood of town, and up until last year the rest did indeed happen next to the museum not far from the pier. As of 2018, however, the majority of the concerts take place at East Beach.
2018 Concerts at the Pier Details
White Rock evening concerts in 2018 include the following:
- Thursday, July 5 – Honeymoon Suite at the East Beach.
- Saturday, July 14 – Big City Soul at the Five Corners area of town starting at 8 pm as part of the Tour de White Rock cycling event.
- Thursday, July 19 – Daniel Wesley at the East Beach.
- Thursday, July 26 – the Roy Orbison tribute band The Lonely and the Johnny Cash tribute band Big River at the East Beach.
- Saturday, August 11 – the ABBA tribute band ABRA CADABRA and the Billy Joel and Elton John tribute band The Piano Man at the Five Corners area of town.
- Saturday, August 18 – Northern Pikes at the East Beach.
Most years there is at least one major band from decades past. In 2017 it was the band Chilliwack as well as Platinum Blonde. In 2018, the most famous group is Honeymoon Suite.
White Rock Concert Locations
The Thursday events used to take place on the Main Stage by the pier at the waterfront in the 15000 block of Marine Drive. As of 2018, however, the Thursday concerts as well as the last Saturday one in August take place at East Beach by the strip of restaurants which include Moby Dick’s at 15479 Marine Drive.
In 2018 the July 14th and August 11th Saturday concerts take place in the Five Corners neighbourhood of White Rock in the 1100 block of Johnson Road near the intersection with Pacific and Buena Vista avenues.
Tips and Advice
Below are some tips to help you make the most out of your TD Concerts at the Pier experience.
TIP #1: New as of 2018, there is a free shuttle bus service that runs from noon until 8 pm along Marine Drive from West Beach to East Beach from April 6th until September 30th. It stops at various locations along Marine Drive and runs approximately once every 20 minutes.
TIP #2: Arrive early if you hope to have a chance to find parking anywhere near the beach.
TIP #3: If you like live music and beautiful beaches then go at least once to a TD Concerts at the Pier event. They are really worth it!
TIP #4: Try to visit White Rock at least once at low tide. The sandy beach then is amazing! Click White Rock Tide Schedule to see where the water will be at different times and dates.
About White Rock
White Rock is an exceptional resort town in the south-central region of the Lower Mainland not far from the US border. It features a long beautiful sandy beach and numerous restaurants. The town also hosts a number of interesting events in addition to the TD Concerts on the Pier series including the following:
- White Rock Farmers Market – a large weekly market running from May until October.
- Canada Day Celebrations – on July 1st each year.
- Tour de White Rock – a major cycling race in mid-July.
- White Rock Sea Festival – a large festival over the BC Day Long Weekend in early August.
- Picnic on the Pier – a fundraising event for the Peace Arch Hospital Foundation where participants enjoy a fancy dinner on the Pier in August.
For more details about the summer concert series, see the White Rock BIA website.
For more information about the town itself, click White Rock.
For a list of other free concerts in the Lower Mainland in summer, click Free Outdoor Concerts.