Vancouver is a fabulous place for free concerts in the summer. Music genres include Rock, Classical, Country, Jazz, Folk and more.
Free Summer Music Concerts
Below are some of the best places to find live outdoor music in the summer, with most if not all of the venues being free.
Free Summer Music in Vancouver
Vancouver has a number of great summer festivals and events which feature free outdoor live music, including the following:
- Summer Jazz on the Porch – a “pay-as-you-can” Jazz concert outside the Roedde House Museum in Vancouver’s West End. 2019 dates are the following:
- Thursday, June 20 – featuring the trio of Steve Kaldestad, Oliver Gannon & Paul Rushka.
- Thursday, July 11 – featuring Jodi Proznick, Ben Henriques & Omar Amlani.
- Thursday, August 8 – featuring the trio of Nicholas Bracewell, Daniel Howard & Winston Matsushita.
- Carnaval del Sol – a Latin carnival in Vancouver on the second weekend in July that features live bands from throughout Latin America. In 2019 the event takes place on July 6th and 7th.
- Pacific National Exhibition (PNE) – Vancouver’s premier fair from late August until the Labour Day long weekend features amazing live music. 2019 dates are August 17th to September 2nd. The concert lineup for 2019 is the following:
- Saturday, August 17th – Blue Rodeo
- Sunday, August 18th – ZZ Top (come for their 50th Anniversary Tour)
- Tuesday, August 20th – 98 Degrees
- Wednesday, August 21st – Burton Cummings
- Thursday, August 22nd – Vince Neil the Legendary Voice of Mötley Crüe
- Friday, August 23rd – Smokey Robinson
- Saturday, August 24th – Now’s the Time Tour – Collective Soul & Gin Blossoms
- Sunday, August 25th – STYX
- Tuesday, August 27th – UB40 (For the Many 40th Anniversary Tour)
- Wednesday, August 28th – Colin James
- Thursday, August 29th – I Love the 90’s featuring Vanilla Ice, Montell Jordan, Biz Markie & Rob Base
- Friday, August 30th – Hammer’s House Party: MC Hammer with Special Guest Bobby Brown
- Saturday, August 31st – Billy Idol
- Sunday, September 1st – The Village People
- Monday, September 2nd – TLC (25th Anniversary)
- Vancouver International Jazz Festival – free and ticketed concerts throughout Metro Vancouver from late June until the first weekend in July. In 2019 the concerts run from June 21st until July 1st.
- Honda Celebration of Light – a Fireworks festival in English Bay near Stanley Park’s Second Beach on two Saturdays and one Wednesday in late July and/or the beginning of August. The festivities include live entertainment for much of the day, with headliner bands in the evenings. 2019 fireworks nights are July 27th, July 31st and August 3rd.
- Canada Day Celebrations – July 1st is also a great time to find free outdoor concerts, including at Canada Place, Granville Island and other venues throughout the Lower Mainland.
- Khatsahlano Street Party – a major street party on West 4th Avenue, billing itself as “Vancouver’s largest free music and arts festival” in mid-July. In 2019 the event takes place on Saturday July 6th.
- Trout Lake Summer Concert Series – free weekly concerts outside the Trout Lake Community Centre at 3360 Victoria Drive on Wednesdays in the evening.
- Brahm’s Tam Drum Circle – informal drumming sessions take place at Third Beach in Stanley Park on sunny Tuesday evenings from May until September. They aren’t “concerts,” but they are free, musical and entertaining! If it’s a sunny evening, there will be drummers (plus lots of people).
- CBC Musical Nooners – a free concert at noon every weekday outside the CBC building at 700 Hamilton Street from July 5th until August 16th.
Free Concerts in Burnaby
The premier free music event in Burnaby each summer is a one-day event involving the Lower Mainland’s finest classical music.
- Symphony in the Park – a free outdoor concert by the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra at Deer Lake Park.
- Summer Sundays Concert Series – free live music outside Burnaby’s Bob Prittie Library – Metrotown Branch on Sundays from the second weekend in July until late August (except for on the BC Day Long Weekend).
Free Summer Music in Coquitlam
- Summer Concert Series – free live music from 7 to 9 pm at Town Centre Park Plaza at 1299 Pinetree Way on a couple of Fridays in the summer. Concert dates in 2019 are July 12th, August 2nd and September 6th.
Free Concerts in Maple Ridge
- Music on the Wharf – a series of outdoor concerts on the Port Haney Wharf at 22360 River Road in Maple Ridge every couple of Mondays in July and August (by donation). Concert dates in 2019 are July 15th, July 29th, August 12th and August 26th.
Free Concerts in Mission
Mission is joining many other locales with their own versions of free weekly outdoor music entertainment from June through August with the Twilight Concert Series at the Fraser River Heritage Park (7494 Mary Street) on Fridays starting at 7 pm. There are different styles of music each week.
- Friday, June 7th – Mission Secondary School
- Friday, June 14th – Heritage Park Middle School
- Friday, June 21st – Ostwelve
- Friday, June 28th – Crescent Sky
- Friday, July 5th – Innerwild
- Friday, July 12th – Koalala
- Friday, July 19th – Nikki Werner Band
- Friday, July 26th – there is no Twilight Concert Series today because the Mission Folk Music Festival runs today and all this weekend
- Friday, August 2nd – DerbyTown
- Friday, August 9th – West, My Friend
- Friday, August 16th – Tiller’s Folly
- Friday, August 23rd – Roads
- Friday, August 30th – Big City Soul
Free Concerts in New Westminster
New Westminster has a couple of major festivals that feature free live music in August.
- Uptown Live – a giant street party and Indie music festival in New Westminster. In 2019, Uptown Live takes place on July 20th from 12 pm – 9 pm.
- Columbia Street Food Truck Fest – a food truck street festival from one end of Columbia Street to the other in heart of the old town on July 27th.
Free Music in North Vancouver
North Vancouver is one of the best places in the Lower Mainland for free live outdoor music, with multiple concerts each week at the following venues:
- North Vancouver Summer Concert Series – now called the Live & Local Concerts & Culture Series, free outdoor concerts take place in North Vancouver’s Lynn Valley Village, Deep Cove and Edgemont Village on Friday evenings from 7 to 9 pm in July and August.
- Shipyard Night Market – a slightly upscale summer night market in North Vancouver’s Lower Lonsdale neighborhood that features great live bands on Friday nights. Bands Scheduled to perform in June 2019 include:
- June 7th, 2019 – The Millennials and the Gonch Messiah
- June 14th, 2019 – The Millennials and the Redwoods
- June 21st, 2019 – Mostly Marley and Whelming (to be confirmed)
- June 28th, 2019 – The Millennials and Scott Riddell
- Shipyards Summer Sessions Concerts – also taking place at Shipbuilders’ Square, these live performances are on Saturdays in July and August from 5 to 10 pm. Below is the 2019 lineup.
- July 6th, 2019 – March Hare
- July 13th, 2019 – The Fab Fourever
- July 20th, 2019 – The Divas & Arrival
- July 27th, 2019 – Rain City 6 Band
- August 3rd, 2019 – Big Easy Funk Ensemble
- August 10th, 2019 – Mike Henry
- Cates Park Summer Concerts – free concerts from 4 until 7 pm on Saturdays from early July until mid-August at Cates Park at 4131 Dollarton Highway. 2019 details are to be confirmed.
Free Concerts in Port Moody
- Summer Sundays – free concerts at Rocky Point Park in Port Moody on Sundays in July and August at 2 pm. There’s a different band each week and the music ranges from Blues to Soul, R&B, Funk, and Reggae. On sunny days between 1000 and 2000 people attend. Concerts in 2019 include the following bands:
- Russell Marsland & Lovestruck
- R&B Allstars
- Dawn Pemberton
- Mojo Stars
- Rain City 6 Band
- New Orleans Gumbo
- R&B Conspiracy
- Tom Lavin & the Legendary Powder Blues
- Hitsville USA Band
Free Summer Music in Surrey
Surrey offers the following free outdoor concerts every week:
- Sounds of Summer Music Series – free outdoor live music at Surrey parks on Wednesday evenings (and the occasional Friday afternoon) during the summer. The concert season usually runs from early July until around the third week of August. This year you can find music at the following locations:
- July 3rd, 2019 – at Glades Garden Park
- July 10th, 2019 – at the Museum of Surrey
- July 12th, 2019 – at Darts Hill
- July 17th, 2019 – at Fleetwood Park
- July 24th, 2019 – at Bear Creek Park
- July 31st, 2019 – at Darts Hill
- August 7th, 2019 – at Crescent Beach
- August 14th, 2019 – at the Stewart Farmhouse
- August 16th, 2019 – at Francis Park
- August 21st, 2019 – at Holland Park
- Surrey Fusion Festival – a festival at Surrey’s Holland Park in mid-July each year. 2019 dates for the event are July 21st and 22nd.
Summer Music in Richmond
Richmond offers great outdoor summer music at the Gulf of Georgia Cannery on Friday evenings. They aren’t free, but they are very reasonably priced at around $7 for adults and $5 for children.
- Music at the Cannery – concerts take place Friday evenings in the summer in Steveston Village at 6:30 pm outside the Gulf of Georgia Cannery at 12138 Fourth Avenue. (Note: admission to this event used to be by donation, but this year there is a fee, although it’s still a great deal).
Concerts in West Vancouver
West Vancouver offers its free outdoor live music concerts in early August and early September at the following festivals:
- Harmony Arts Festival – a popular week long community festival in West Vancouver in early August that features live music and free evening movies. In 2019 the festival runs from August 2nd to 11th
- Coho Festival – a festival in early September celebrating salmon in West Vancouver. In 2019 it takes place on September 8th.
Free Concerts in White Rock
- TD Concerts at the Pier – White Rock’s free concert series takes place on a few Saturdays and Thursdays in July and August.