April is usually a beautiful time to be in Vancouver as the cherry blossoms are out, the trees are getting green and gardens are full of flowers.
By April spring has truly arrived and summer is just around the corner.
April Weather and Things to do in Vancouver
See below for a description of average weather in Vancouver and then a list of top things to do in April.
Typical April Weather in Vancouver
April is often a nice month in Vancouver. It still rains, but the days are getting longer with the sun not setting until later in the evenings.
According to Environment Canada, it rained at least a bit on 19 out of the 30 days in April 2018. Total rainfall was 134.8 mm, so quite a bit more even than normal.
By the end of April Vancouver is starting to look quite spectacular, with the increasing amount of sunshine, flowers everywhere and new leaves starting to appear on all the trees.
Average high temperatures for the month are up to 13 degrees C (or 55 F), and the lows around 5 C (or 41 F). You can expect to see about 75 mm of the wet stuff (or 3 inches), meaning you have just scraped into the driest half of the year.
To celebrate the increasingly nice weather, Vancouverites start wearing shorts, hit the beaches (to hangout, not to swim) and pretend it’s summer, much to the bewilderment of visitors from warmer climates.
Folk in Vancouver do this for two reasons – one to celebrate the increasingly good weather, and two, to brag to people in the rest of Canada about our weather being so much better than theirs.
Recommended April Activities
The spring flowers and blossoms start to bloom, especially in the later part of the month. It’s a great time to check out Vancouver’s beautiful gardens, including Stanley Park, VanDusen Garden, Queen Elizabeth Park and Sun Yat-Sen Garden, and especially towards the end of the month.
April can also be a great time to hit the slopes for some late spring skiing most years – there are no crowds because everyone is either golfing or at the beach (but not swimming of course), and night skiing is like day skiing as the sun sets so late.
Top 8 Things to do in April
- Enjoy the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival taking place over most of the month. Cherry blossom viewing can usually be done all around the city.
- Spend time in any of the Lower Mainland’s best parks and places for nature and enjoy all the new life that spring brings.
- Check out the Vaisakhi Parades and Celebrations in Surrey or Vancouver and enjoy some Punjabi culture and free East Indian food too.
- Take part in the various Easter activities taking place around town. (Note: Easter sometimes takes place in April, but some years in March instead.)
- Cheer on a friend in The Vancouver Sun Run, or maybe even do the race yourself!
- Take part in Earth Day Celebrations, and find something fun to do that’s good for the environment.
- Take advantage of the beautiful weather, short lineups and the last of the snow with spring skiing at any of the Lower Mainland ski hills still open.
- If you like hitting a small ball around beautiful places, then enjoy the spring weather on a sunny day at any of the Lower Mainland’s top golf courses.
For a full list of things to do this month, check out Vancouver’s April Calendar of Events.