The World Music Festival is a 4-day event featuring popular local bands including Locarno, Mazacote, MNGWA and the Boom Booms in Vancouver in April 2018.
In 2018 the music festival runs from Thursday, April 26th, to Sunday, April 29th. It includes ticketed concerts at a couple of different venues, but also a free event on the last day at the Trout Lake Community Centre.
World Music Festival
Celebrating its fourth year in 2018, World Music Fest is an annual event with concerts at a few different venues around town. It features various genres of music, but at its core is definitely Latin.
World Music Fest is an artist-curated festival, meaning it’s run and organized by some of the artists themselves. Specifically, it was founded by musicians Robin Layne and Tom Landa from the Vancouver band Locarno.
At the festival most of the participating bands are local, although there is also the occasional touring band that happens to be in the area. The festival is also committed to encouraging young performers, which explains the age of some of the bands at its free event on the last day.
2018 Festival Lineup
Some of the venues and bands on the different days of the festival this year are listed below.
Thursday, April 26, 2018
Performing between 7 pm and 1 am in Gastown at Guilt & Co at #1 Alexander Street are the following:
- Calle Verde – the Flamenco group performs along with MNGWA starting at around 7:30 pm.
- MNGWA – the Afro-Latin-Soul band performs along with Calle Verde starting at around 7:30 pm.
- Mazacote – the 6-person Latin and World band takes the stage at around 9:30 or 10 pm.
Friday, April 27, 2018
Performing at the Imperial at 319 Main Street between 8 pm and midnight are the following:
- The Boom Booms – a popular Vancouver-based Soul and Funk band.
- Zimbamoto – a local band with African connections and tunes.
- Bloco Energia – a multi-member Brazilian band that’s popular at Vancouver parades and festivals.
Saturday, April 28, 2018
Performing between 8 pm and midnight at the Imperial on the Saturday are the following:
- Las Cafeteras – a 6-person Los Angeles-based Afro-Mexican band.
- Locarno – a popular Vancouver band specializing in a mixture of Mexican Folk, Cuban and Latin Soul.
Sunday, April 29, 2018
World Music Fest also puts on a day of live music at the Trout Lake Community Centre at 3360 Victoria Drive on Sunday, April 29th, from 11:30 am until 3:30 pm.
2018 Ticket Prices
Tickets for World Music Fest in 2018 range from free (or by donation) to $50 per person plus online fees.
The Thursday night event at Guilt & Co costs $15, the Friday night show at the Imperial costs $20, and the Saturday night concerts at the Imperial cost $25.
VIP Weekend Passes with access to the Thursday, Friday and Saturday concerts are also available for $50.
The World Music Fest event at the Trout Lake Community Centre on Sunday, April 29, is free (or by donation).
For more information about the festival click World Music Fest.
For a list of other events taking place in the Lower Mainland check out the following: