New Year’s Eve celebrations take place at various venues on December 31st including in downtown Vancouver, North Shore ski hills and area nightclubs.
Because of COVID-19, in the last two years New Year’s Eve has been very different compared to the past. There weren’t any major parties or fireworks events. The best place to celebrate the arrival of 2021 was from home (or at a virtual party with friends via Zoom). Limited capacity dinner events were allowed on New Year’s Eve last year, but no dance or night club-style events were permitted.
Much more will likely be possible at the end of 2022. As of mid-November we know that there will be some NYE boat parties. They include the Vancouver New Year ‘s Eve Yacht Party 2023 and the New Year’s Eve Fireworks Boat Party on December 31st with Vancouver Boat Parties. There will no doubt be lots of other great events too.
Below is a list of top New Year’s Eve party venues that take place most years including ski hills and venues with family-friendly activities. For ages 19+ party venues, see our article about Vancouver NYE Parties for Adults.
Click on any of the following links to jump to a specific venue or activity, or continue reading for full details about Vancouver’s best places to welcome the New Year.
Or, for details about pyrotechnic shows, click Vancouver Fireworks (which takes you to another page).
Lower Mainland New Year’s Eve Activities
The largest New Year’s Eve celebrations in the Lower Mainland used to take place around Canada Place in downtown Vancouver. The festivities there included ticketed parties as well as free concerts and fireworks.
2018 was the final year for the main fireworks and concert activities at Canada Place. On December 31st, 2019, there were smaller events at different locations, but no major fireworks. On the last day of the year in 2020, a massive fireworks show was set to take place at the eastern end of False Creek instead of by Canada Place.
Sadly, the plan for fireworks at the new False Creek venue wasn’t possible in 2020 or in 2021 due to COVID-19. The fireworks are though set to return in 2022. Click False Creek NYE Fireworks to learn about that event.
Other significant New Year’s Eve events that take place in years without pandemics are at area ski hills including Mt. Seymour, Cypress and Grouse Mountain on the North Shore, as well as in the Fraser Valley at Sasquatch Mountain. All four resort events include fireworks and various amounts of family-friendly activities (or at least they do in years without pandemics).
Unfortunately, Cypress and Seymour cancelled their 2021 New Year’s events. Nothing likely happened at the other ski hills either.
New Year’s Eve celebrations for adults aged 19+ also usually take place at nightclubs and other party venues throughout the Lower Mainland most years, but not in 2021 for a second year in a row.
See below for details about all of the above December 31st party places and many others.
Metro Vancouver New Year’s Party Places
In years when there isn’t a global pandemic, New Year’s Eve parties take place at various nightclubs, theatres and other venues around town. Most of the events listed below did not happen in 2021. Hopefully most celebrations return to ring in 2023, although exact details for each are to be determined.
(Note: Rates, venues and other details are subject to change.)
Events in the City of Vancouver
- Vancouver Boat Parties – the popular cruise company hosts great events on December 31st most years. 2022 is no exception. This year they have the New Year’s Eve Fireworks Boat Party on the Burrard Queen and the Vancouver New Year ‘s Eve Yacht Party 2023 on the Magic Charm. The first departs from False Creek and the second departs from Coal Harbour.
- Guilt & Company – the popular live music venue in Gastown featured an evening of casual fun. Don’t expect fancy decorations and party favours here. Do expect a wonderful time though, and to be entertained by singers NaRai Dawn and Dawn Pemberton. Admission in 2022 is $10 per set of music sat through (there are four sets). We checked out this hugely popular venue in 2019 and it was packed!
- NYE at Harbour Event Centre – an end-of-2022 event with lights and DJ music from the duo W&W takes place at the Harbour Event Centre. Tickets start at around $80 plus taxes and online fees.
- New Year’s Eve at Frankie’s Jazz Club – a night of dinner and Jazz at 755 Beatty Street. Enjoy a special multi-course meal and live music beginning at 8:00 pm. Admission (including the food and cover charge) costs about $125 in 2022.
- Vancouver TheatreSports – the live theatre improv performance at the Improv Centre on Granville Island scheduled a special New Year’s Eve night in 2021. There were two “Year in Review” TheatreSports shows planned for 5:00 and 7:30 pm. Details for December 31st in 2022 are to be confirmed.
Events at Downtown Vancouver Hotels
- Gatsby’s House Party – the party at the Marriott Pinnacle at 1128 W. Hastings Street in downtown Vancouver in 2022 includes an appetizer buffet and DJ music. Admission starts at about $105 including taxes and fees and the party runs from 9:00 pm until 1:00 am. We dropped by to take a look at about 12:30 am on January 1st in 2020. They wouldn’t let us take a peek inside, but things looked from the entrance like the party was pretty much over.
- Grand Ball NYE – a New Year’s Eve party with elaborate design and live entertainment at the former Trump Hotel at 1161 West Georgia Street. Tickets start at about $65 in 2022 and the event runs from 9:00 pm until 2:00 am. We were at a party hosted by the same organization right at midnight, on January 1st, 2020, and it looked like a great event. There were lots of people in fancy attire having fun!
- SKYFALL NYE 2022 – a James Bond-style celebration was going to take place at the former Trump Hotel at 1161 West Georgia Street. Blackjack and roulette tables would’ve been featured, as well as a Casino Royale lounge, live entertainment and a balloon drop. The event was scheduled to take place from 9:00 pm to 2:30 am and tickets started at around $150. (TBD)
- New Year’s Eve Gala Ball – New Year’s Eve celebrations at the Fairmont Waterfront at 900 Canada Place in Vancouver. The party in 2019 went from 9 pm to 1 am and tickets started at around $96 including taxes and fees. We visited this venue at about 12:30 am on January 1st in 2020. A lot of people had already left, but many more were still dancing and having a great time. (TBD)
Events Elsewhere in Metro Vancouver
- NYE at the Taphouse Guildford – an event that would’ve featured live DJ music and champagne and party favors for all at 15330 102A Avenue in Surrey. Tickets cost $20 if purchased before December 25th, $25 when purchased in advance after that and $35 at the door. The event was eventually cancelled in 2021. (TBD)
- A Very 90’s New Year’s Party – the 2019 party featured a night of 90’s DJ music at the Gull Bar & Grill at 175 East 1st Street in North Vancouver. Admission cost $45 and included appetizers and a complimentary welcome drink. It doesn’t look like the event took place in 2021. (TBD)
For a list of more adults-only December 31st venues see Vancouver NYE Parties for Ages 19+.
New Year’s Eve Boat Parties
One of the best places to celebrate the arrival of the New Year is on a New Year’s Eve boat party cruise. They offer nightclub-style venues, food, drinks and spectacular views of the city.
A popular New Year’s Eve cruise is with Vancouver Boat Parties. Their 2022 cruises run from the evening of December 31st until around 1:30 am or so on January 1st. This year they have the New Year’s Eve Fireworks Boat Party and the Vancouver New Year ‘s Eve Yacht Party 2023. The first is held on the Burrard Queen and the second takes place on the Magic Charm.
Boat parties are very popular things to do so tickets usually sell out in advance. For more details visit the Vancouver Boat Parties website.
New Year’s Eve at Canada Place and False Creek
The Lower Mainland’s largest New Year’s Eve celebrations used to happen around Canada Place in downtown Vancouver on the evening of December 31st.
IMPORTANT NOTE: As mentioned above, the Canada Place fireworks event did NOT take place on New Year’s Eve on December 31st in 2019. The event took a one-year break. It was going to return to Vancouver on December 31st in 2020, but at a new location – at the eastern end of False Creek (near Science World). Now they say the event won’t happen until December 31st in 2022 after it was again cancelled in 2021. See the Concord Pacific NYE website for details or click New Year’s Eve Fireworks in False Creek.
Up until 2018, the free street party with 20 food trucks, outdoor concerts and over 100,000 people used to take place along Canada Place Way. There were also indoor ticketed events at the Vancouver Convention Centre.
In years when it did take place, the free Street Party ran from around 7:00 pm until 12:15 am, indoor ticketed events went from 7:00 pm until 1:30 am, and fireworks took off at both 9:00 pm and 12:00 am.
New Year’s Eve on Granville Street
There are a number of nightclubs on Granville Street just south of Georgia Street in downtown Vancouver. In years when there isn’t a global pandemic, all fill up on New Year’s Eve, so you need to buy tickets for them in advance. Even if you don’t get into one of the pubs or official party venues, there is lots of partying going on in the street.
On New Year’s Eve the City of Vancouver usually shuts Granville Street down to vehicular traffic. It becomes a pedestrian-only area and fills up with crowds of people. You can’t drink alcohol in public in the street, but walking around and having fun is free.
December 31st at Area Ski Hills
Lower Mainland ski hills are where you can celebrate New Year Eve in the snow. Mt. Seymour usually offers a family-focused event most years, and Grouse Mountain has both adult-only and family-friendly options. Cypress also hosts a smaller and less formal event.
Vancouver’s North Shore mountains have early evening fireworks most years. Sasquatch Mountain has fireworks followed by adult-only partying in the pub. On December 31st in 2021, none of these events happened.
New Year’s Eve at MT. SEYMOUR
NOTE: Due to poor weather conditions this event was cancelled in 2019. In 2020 and 2021 it didn’t happen because of COVID-19.
The Family First Night event at Mt. Seymour usually runs from 5:30 until 8:30 pm and costs about $30 per person. Activities include laser tobogganing, fire pits, snowshoeing, live entertainment and fireworks.
Click Family First Night for more information about the North Shore’s longest running New Year’s Eve event.
New Year’s Eve at GROUSE MOUNTAIN
North Vancouver’s Grouse Mountain ski resort offers three different New Year’s Eve options on December 31st most years. There’s a New Year’s Eve Dinner and Family New Year’s Celebrations.
New Year’s Eve Dinner
Grouse Mountain’s New Year’s Eve Dinner is the ski hill’s main option for dining. In past years there was a Gala which was for adults only and included dinner and then dancing. In 2019, there were dinner options, but also dancing.
Dinner in the Observatory Restaurant in recent years cost about $120 per person (plus taxes, tips and beverages). In December 2019, however, sittings ranged between $125 (for an earlier 6-course dinner) up to $150 (for a later 8-course session). (NOTE: As of November 2021 the Observatory Restaurant is closed until further notice.)
In 2019 the 6-course dinner menu featured a chickpea crisp and hummus appetizer, salmon with caviar, a smoked radish and kale salad, sturgeon, striploin steak, sorbet and chèvre cheesecake for dessert. Extras with the 8-course dinner included goat cheese tortellini and veal tonnato with tuna belly. Vegetarian options were also available.
Four-course dinners were also offered for $90 (plus taxes, tip and beverages) at Altitudes Bistro.
Click Grouse New Year’s Eve Gala for more information about the event. The event likely didn’t happen in 2021, but hopefully it takes place in 2022.
Family New Year’s Eve Celebration
The Family New Year’s Eve Celebration at Grouse Mountain usually includes ice skating, fire performances, a live band and DJ music at the skate pond, fireworks at 9:00 pm and more. This event often sells out (and did for the December 31st event in 2019, until it got cancelled due to poor weather).
Activities scheduled for December 31, 2019, included live entertainment, sleigh rides, and photo opportunities with the Snow Queen and King. The headliner band was Delhi 2 Dublin. Entertainment for 2019 included the band Toy Zebra and ventriloquist Kellie Haines.
It doesn’t appear like any special New Year’s Eve event happened at Grouse Mountain in 2021.
Click Family New Year’s Eve Celebration for further details about the event in 2019.
New Year’s Eve at CYPRESS MOUNTAIN
NOTE: Due to poor weather conditions this event was cancelled in 2019. It was cancelled due to COVID-19 in both 2020 and 2021.
On New Year’s Eve, Cypress Mountain usually offers s’mores to roast around fire pits, live entertainment and fireworks. The snacks typically start at around 5:00 pm, the entertainment runs from 5:45 until 7:45 pm or so, and the fireworks begin at 8:00.
The live entertainment at the Cypress event a couple of years ago included Flamenco music and hands-on Afro-Peruvian percussion and drumming. The event on December 31st, 2019, would have been similar (had it not been cancelled due to heavy rain). Unfortunately, no event was held last year due to COVID-19.
Click Cypress on New Year’s Eve for more information.
New Year’s Eve at SASQUATCH MOUNTAIN
Sasquatch Mountain is located in the Hemlock Valley not far from Harrison Hot Springs. At the resort on December 31st most years there’s a torch-light parade and fireworks.
The torch-light parade usually starts at around 8:30, the fireworks blast off at around 9:00 pm and New Year’s Eve celebrations continue at Molly Hogan’s Pub from 10:00 pm to 1:30 am.
Tickets for the event at Sasquatch Mountain in 2019 cost just $15 or so, which was the same price as in previous years. Tickets had to be purchased in advance. No New Year’s Eve events happened at the resort in 2021.
See the Sasquatch Mountain website for more details.
Looking for hotel deals in downtown Vancouver? Then check out StayVancouverHotels.com. They offer great rates and bonus gifts too!
For information about Vancouver’s main fireworks in Burrard Inlet, and best places to watch them from, click NYE fireworks.
For ideas on other things to do at other times of the year, check out any of the following:
- Vancouver’s January Events Calendar
- Free Events in January
- Festivals & Events Calendar
- Vancouver Fireworks Events
- False Creek NYE Fireworks