New Year’s Eve celebrations take place at a variety of venues on December 31 in 2018 including at Canada Place, North Vancouver ski hills and area night clubs.
Click on any of the following links to jump to a specific venue or activity, or continue reading for full details about Vancouver’s best places to welcome the New Year.
Or, for details about pyrotechnic shows, click Vancouver Fireworks (which takes you to another page). Or for a list of night clubs and other party venues click Other Party Places which will take you to a list of over a dozen top party venues at the bottom of this page).
2018 Lower Mainland New Year’s Eve Parties
The largest New Year’s Eve celebrations in the Lower Mainland take place around Canada Place in downtown Vancouver. The festivities there include ticketed parties as well as free concerts and fireworks.
Other significant New Year’s Eve events take place at area ski hills including Mt. Seymour, Grouse Mountain and Cypress on the North Shore, as well as in the Fraser Valley at Sasquatch Mountain. All four resort events include fireworks and various amounts of family-friendly activities.
Of course New Year’s Eve celebrations for adults ages 19+ also take place at night clubs and other party venues throughout the Lower Mainland.
See below for details about all of the above December 31st party places, or click New Year’s Fireworks for information about where to watch the pyrotechnics from.
New Year’s Eve at Canada Place
The Lower Mainland’s largest New Year’s Eve celebrations happen around Canada Place in downtown Vancouver on the evening of December 31st.
A free street party with 20 food trucks, outdoor concerts and over 100,000 people takes place along Canada Place Way. There are also indoor ticketed events at the Vancouver Convention Centre.
The free Street Party runs from around 7:00 pm until 12:15 am, indoor ticketed events go from 7:00 pm until 1:30 am, and fireworks take off at both 9:00 pm and 12:00 am.
Click Canada Place at New Year’s Eve for more information.
NEW YEAR’S EVE TIP
Wanting to make New Year’s Eve 2018/19 extra special? Then book a hotel in downtown Vancouver through StayVancouverHotels.com. That way you’ll be able to enjoy a few extra drinks and won’t have to fight traffic to get home after the festivities.
The Shangri-La is an official sponsor of the fireworks and New Year’s Eve events by Canada Place, and hotels close to the festivities include the Coast Coal Harbour, Days Inn, Delta, EXchange Hotel, Fairmont Pacific Rim, Fairmont Waterfront, Pan Pacific, Pinnacle Hotel Vancouver Harbourfront, Ramada Limited, Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle and Westin Bayshore, among others.
Again, check out StayVancouverHotels.com for best rates and bonus offers.
December 31st at Area Ski Hills
Lower Mainland ski hills are where you can celebrate New Year Eve’s in the snow. Mt. Seymour offers a family-focused event and Grouse Mountain has both adult-only and family-friendly options.
All three of Vancouver’s North Shore mountains, including Cypress, have early evening fireworks most years. Sasquatch Mountain has fireworks followed by adult-only partying in the pub.
New Year’s Eve at MT. SEYMOUR
The Family First Night event at Mt. Seymour runs from 5:30 until 8:30 pm and costs about $30 per person. Activities include laser tobogganing, fire pits, snowshoeing, live entertainment and fireworks.
Click Family First Night for more information about the North Shore’s longest running New Year’s Eve event.
New Year’s Eve at GROUSE MOUNTAIN
North Vancouver’s Grouse Mountain ski resort offers three different New Year’s Eve options on December 31st. There’s a New Year’s Eve Dinner, Family New Year’s Celebrations and a Snowshoe Fondue.
New Year’s Eve Dinner
Grouse Mountain’s New Year’s Eve Dinner is the ski hill’s main option for dining. In past years there was a Gala which was for adults only and included dinner and then dancing. In 2018, there are dinner options, but also dancing.
Dinner in the Observatory Restaurant in recent years cost about $120 per person (plus taxes, tip and beverages). In December 2018, however, sittings range between $125 (for an earlier 6-course dinner) up to $150 (for a later 8-course session).
In 2018 the 6-course dinner menu features a chickpea crisp and hummus appetizer, salmon with caviar, a smoked radish and kale salad, sturgeon, striploin steak, sorbet and chèvre cheesecake for dessert. Extras with the 8-course dinner include goat cheese tortellini and veal tonnato with tuna belly. Vegetarian options are also available.
Four-course dinners are also offered for $90 (plus taxes, tip and beverages) at Altitudes Bistro and in the Timber Room.
Click Grouse New Year’s Eve Gala for more information about the event from last year.
Family New Year’s Eve Celebration (SOLD OUT!)
The Family New Year’s Eve Celebration at Grouse Mountain includes ice skating, fire performances, a live band and DJ music at the skate pond, fireworks at 9:00 pm and more. This event often sells out.
Activities scheduled for December 31, 2018, include a live band and DJ music, a fire performance by AcroFire Entertainment, and photo opportunities with the Snow Queen and King. The headliner band in 2018 is Delhi 2 Dublin.
Click Family New Year’s Eve Celebration for further details about the event from last year.
The New Year’s Eve Snowshoe Fondue event at Grouse Mountain includes a guided tour through the snowshoeing trails followed by a fondue dinner in Altitudes Bistro.
Sessions most years start at 11 am, 1, 4 and 7 pm and the cost is around $100 (or $24 or so less for season’s pass holders). Included with the cost is use of a headlamp at night, snowshoe rentals, the fondue and the ride up the hill in the Skyride Tram from the parking lot.
Click Grouse Snowshoe Fondue for more information about the event from last year.
New Year’s Eve at CYPRESS MOUNTAIN
On New Year’s Eve Cypress Mountain usually offers s’ mores to roast around fire pits, live entertainment and fireworks. The snacks typically start at around 5:00 pm, the entertainment runs from 5:45 until 7:45 pm or so, and the fireworks begin at 8:00.
The live entertainment at the Cypress event last year included Flamenco music and hands-on Afro-Peruvian percussion and drumming. 2018 entertainment will be similar.
Click Cypress on New Year’s Eve for more information.
New Year’s Eve at SASQUATCH MOUNTAIN
Sasquatch Mountain is located in the Hemlock Valley not far from Harrison Hot Springs. At the resort on December 31st most years there’s a torch-light parade and fireworks.
The torch-light parade usually starts at around 8:30, the fireworks blast off at around 9:00 pm and New Year’s Eve celebrations continue at Molly Hogan’s Pub from 10:00 pm to 1:30 am.
Tickets for the event at Sasquatch Mountain cost just $15 or so and have to be purchased in advance.
See the Sasquatch Mountain website for more details.
St. Paul’s Labyrinth
For something completely different, … Turn of the Year at St. Paul’s Labyrinth is an evening of contemplative music and labyrinth-walking opportunities at St. Paul’s Anglican Church at 1130 Jervis Street in Vancouver. Admission is free.
The schedule for December 31st in 2018 is the following:
- 5 to 6 pm – Eucharist
- 6 to 8 pm – The group Naad performs World Fusion Music on handpan, flute, didgeridoo, shruti box, tanpura guitar and voice at the Labyrinth
- 7 to 8:30 pm – Storytelling with Kira van Deusen in the King Room
- 8:15 to 10:15 pm – Rebecca Blair performs Early Music Melodies on harp at the Labyrinth
- 9 to 11 pm – Reception with refreshments and live music in the Church Lower Hall
- 10:15 pm to 12:15 am – Howard Meadows on wind instruments with New Age Improvisations in the Labyrinth
For more information click Turn of the Year at St. Paul’s Labyrinth.
Metro Vancouver New Year’s Party Places
In addition to the December 31st celebrations at Canada Place and area ski hills, New Year’s Eve parties also take place at various night clubs and other venues around town. Some of the most popular parties for adults ages 19+ are listed below.
(Note: Rates, venues and other details are subject to change.)
- New Year’s Eve at the River Rock Casino – the final day of the year is celebrated with three local tribute bands: The Ultimate Tribute to Fleetwood Mac, Colin Wiebe & American Woman (featuring the music of The Guess Who) and the Legends All-Star Band who’s performance includes a tribute to Rod Stewart. Tickets for the dinner and show cost around $120 (plus taxes and fees) and admission to just the concerts costs around $75.
- NYE 2018 at Telus World of Science – a New Year’s Eve party at Science World. The event features 5 bars, 2 floors of dancing, half a dozen of Vancouver’s favourite DJs and up to 1100 guests. Tickets range from $80 (plus fees) for regular early-bird admission up to $2000 for a VIP table for 10.
- NYElectric 2019 – the party at the Marriott Pinnacle at 1128 W Hastings Street in downtown Vancouver includes an appetizer buffet and DJ music. Admission starts at about $66 and the party goes from 9 pm until 2 am.
- New Year’s Eve Cruise – a night on the Magic Charm yacht with appetizers, buffet dinner, sparkling wine at midnight and views of the fireworks. Tickets are $175 per person (ages 19+).
- Gatsby’s Yacht 2019 – a New Year’s yacht party on the Magic Spirit Yacht (leaving from 750 Pacific Boulevard behind the former Edgemont Casino). The event includes DJ music, complimentary appetizers and party favours, views of the fireworks and a 1920’s costume theme. Tickets start at $125.
- New Year’s Eve 2019 Gala Ball – New Year’s Eve celebrations at the Fairmont Waterfront at 900 Canada Place in Vancouver. The party goes from 9 pm to 1 am and tickets start at around $140.
- Midnight in Paris NYE 2019 – a New Year’s Eve party with elaborate design, art installations and live entertainment at the Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront at 1133 West Hastings Street. Tickets start at about $80.
- NYE with the Latin band Mazacote – live music and a three-course dinner at Frankie’s at 755 Beatty Street. Tickets are $96.
- Frozen in Time NYE – an end-of-2018 event with art lighting and DJ music at the Harbour Event Centre. Tickets range from $25 to $62+.
- Craft New Year’s Party – food, drink and DJ music at the Craft Beer Market at 85 West 1st Avenue from 8:30 pm until 2:00. Tickets range from between around $35 and $80. SOLD OUT!
- New Year’s Party at the Shipyards – North Vancouver’s Shipyards hosts its first ever New Year’s Eve party at the Tap & Barrel Restaurant at #8 Lonsdale Avenue. Tickets are $25.
- North Van Fraternal Order of Eagles – tickets to the party at the Fraternal Order of Eagles Club at 170 West 3rd Street in North Vancouver cost about $60 and include appetizers, champagne at midnight and live music with Las Divas. All folk ages 19+ are welcome.
- Dinner and Dance Party at the Pinnacle – New Year’s Eve is celebrated at the Lobby Restaurant at North Vancouver’s Pinnacle Hotel with a five-course dinner and dancing. Tickets cost $99 (plus taxes, tip and fees).
- Convention Centre Parties – as mentioned above, the festivities around Canada Place include a number of ticketed options. Click Canada Place NYE Parties for more information.
Looking for hotel deals in downtown Vancouver? Then check out StayVancouverHotels.com. They offer great rates and bonus gifts too!
For information about Vancouver’s main fireworks in Burrard Inlet, and best places to watch them from, click NYE fireworks.
For ideas on other things to do at other times of the year, check out any of the following:
- Vancouver’s January Events Calendar
- Free Events in January
- Festivals & Events Calendar
- Vancouver Fireworks Events