The TD Vancouver International Jazz Festival offers numerous FREE concerts in downtown Vancouver, on Granville Island, in Yaletown and on the North Shore.
Free jazz concerts take place at the following venues on various days between June 22nd and July 1st in 2018:
Click on any of the above links to jump to a specific location, or continue reading to learn about over 90 different concerts across Vancouver and the North Shore. Or, for a list of free concerts organized by date, click 2018 Jazz Music Lineup.
Vancouver’s Free 2018 Jazz Venues
In 2018 the Vancouver International Jazz Festival offers free concerts every day between June 22nd and July 1st.
Below is a list of over 90 free jazz concerts sorted by location. Venues include the plazas outside the Vancouver Art Gallery, at St. Andrew’s Wesley on Burrard, on a number of different stages on Granville Island, in Yaletown and on the North Shore.
Below you’ll find the list of free performances organized by location. For a list of free jazz concerts sorted by date, see the 2018 Jazz Music Lineup.
For more information on the festival in general, see the TD Vancouver International Jazz Festival.
Note: concert dates, times, performers and other details may vary.
Downtown Jazz Locations
Free jazz concerts in downtown Vancouver include performances all afternoon and early evening outside the Vancouver Art Gallery on both Robson Street and Georgia Street on June 23rd and 24th.
In downtown Vancouver in 2018 there are also indoor concerts most days at St. Andrew’s Wesley United Church as well as at the Ironworks venue in Vancouver’s Downtown East Side on five weekday evenings.
Robson Street Stage Concerts
Location: in the south plaza outside the Vancouver Art Gallery at the corner of Robson Street and Hornby.
Free Jazz Concerts on Saturday, June 23rd
- David Blake Quartet – at 12:00 pm
- Leah Abramson’s Songs For a Lost Pod – at 1:30 pm
- Enemy Pigeon – at 3:00 pm
- Sonny’s Cousin – at 5:00 pm
- Parc X Trio – at 6:45 pm
Free Jazz Concerts on Sunday, June 24th
- Natasha D’Agostino Quartet – at 12:00 pm
- BM4 with special guest Jennifer Scott – at 1:30 pm
- Partikel – at 3:00 pm
- Malleus Trio – at 5:00 pm
- Gwyneth Herbert – at 6:45 pm
Georgia Street Stage Concerts
Location: in the north plaza outside the Vancouver Art Gallery at the corner of Georgia Street and Hornby.
Note: As of 2018, the plaza’s official name is šx????n?q Xwtl’e7énk Square (where the Indigenous word is pronounced, very approximately, Hootlacken). šx????n?q Xwtl’e7én is used in the local Musqueam, Tsleil-Waututh and Squamish First Nations’ cultures for places where important cultural gatherings like weddings and funerals take place.
Free Jazz Concerts on Saturday, June 23rd
- David Ward + Golden Future – at 12:30 pm
- The Revival Ensemble plays Ellington’s Far East Suite – at 2:15 pm
- Shake Stew – at 3:45 pm
- Kevin Breit Presents Johnny Goldtooth & The Chevy Casanovas – at 5:15 pm
- Ghost-Note – at 7:30 pm
Free Jazz Concerts on Sunday, June 24th
The following bands play on the Georgia Street Stage outside the Vancouver Art Gallery at the following times:
- Star System plays the Music of Sun Ra – at 12:30 pm
- Camaro 67 – at 2:15 pm
- Alsarah & The Nubatones – at 3:45 pm
- Dawn Pemberton – at 5:15 pm
- Ndidi O – at 7:30 pm
St. Andrew’s Wesley United Church
Location: at the corner of Nelson and Burrard Street in the church at 1022 Nelson Street.
Cost: By donation
Free Jazz Vespers performances at St. Andrew’s Wesley United Church take place from noon until 1 pm (except on Sundays when it’s at 4 pm). The church is spectacular and the music promises to be beautiful too.
In 2018 some of Vancouver’s top Soul and Gospel choirs are performing at the downtown church venue. Admission is by donation.
Back by popular demand yet again, 7 out of the following 8 groups performed in both of the last couple of year at the Jazz Festival at the same venue and do so again in 2018:
- Friday, June 22 – VOC Sweet Soul Gospel Choir at 12:00 pm
- Sunday, June 24 – Universal Gospel Choir at 4:00 pm
- Monday, June 25 – Leora Cashe – at 12 pm
- Tuesday, June 26 – Good Noise Vancouver Gospel Band – at 12 pm
- Wednesday, June 27 – City Soul Choir – at 12 pm
- Thursday, June 28 – Top Line Vocal Collective – at 12 pm
- Friday, June 29 – Marcus Mosley Chorale – at 12 pm
- Sunday, July 1 – Candus Churchill & Tom Picket – at 12 pm
Note: if you like jazz and the beautiful venue at St. Andrew’s Wesley, then consider checking out their weekly jazz vespers which take place on Sundays throughout the year at 4 pm. Even if you aren’t Christian or a “church type,” it’s a beautiful place to spend a Sunday afternoon. See Jazz Vespers for more details.
Ironworks Theatre Concerts
A new venue for the festival since last year, the Vancouver International Jazz Festival holds five free concerts again this year at the Ironworks Stage which is located at 235 Alexander Street in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside. Performances take place on the following dates starting at 5 o’clock:
- Hear In Now – on Monday, June 25th
- Chris Speed, Tommy Babin, Omar Amlani – on Tuesday, June 26th
- Corsano, Miller, Kelly & Scott – on Wednesday, June 27th
- Torsten Müller & Jeff Younger – on Thursday, June 28th
- Davis, Bajakian & van der Schyff – on Friday, June 29th
Granville Island Locations
Free jazz concerts take place daily on Granville Island during the TD Vancouver International Jazz Festival at two locations – on the Public Market Stage and at Performance Works. On Saturday, June 30th, and Sunday, July 1st, there are also free Canada Day concerts at various locations on Granville Island.
Public Market Stage Concerts
Location: outside the Public Market on the northwest corner of Granville Island.
The FREE concerts listed below take place outdoors at the edge of False Creek outside the Granville Island Public Market from 12 until 1 pm each day.
TIP: Take your lunch outside to munch on while enjoying the music. Watch out for the seagulls though as they love stealing food even more than they love the jazz.
- The Watermill Project – on Friday, June 22nd
- Chacal del Tamborazo Trio – on Saturday, June 23rd
- Wildwood Fire – on Sunday, June 24th
- Parker Woods’ Otra – on Monday, June 25th
- Tony Wilson & Patsy Klein – on Tuesday, June 26th
- Meghan Gilhespy Trio – on Wednesday, June 27th
- Chronicle Infinitas – on Thursday, June 28th
- Elisa Thorn’s HUE – on Friday, June 29th
- The Underdogs – on Saturday, June 30th
- Basilissa – on Sunday, July 1st
Performance Works Stage Concerts
The bands listed below play each day indoors at Performance Works which is located at 1218 Cartwright Street in the far southeast corner of Granville Island not far from Ron Basford Park.
Most performances at this venue are at 1:30, except for on Canada Day when they run all afternoon and into the evening.
- Jason Stein’s Locksmith Isidore – at 1:30 pm on Friday, June 22nd
- Allison Au Quartet – at 1:30 pm on Saturday, June 23rd
- A Novel of Anomaly – at 1:30 pm on Sunday, June 24th
- Steve Lloyd Smith Quartet – at 1:30 pm on Monday, June 25th
- Maciej Obara Quartet – at 1:30 pm on Tuesday, June 26th
- Tony Wilson’s Tribute to Sonny Greenwich – at 1:30 pm on Wednesday, June 27th
- Wayne Horvitz Snowghost Trio – at 1:30 pm on Thursday, June 28th
- ElkHorn – at 1:30 pm on Friday, June 29th
- Jillian Lebeck Trio – at 1:30 pm on Saturday, June 30th
- For Canada Day concerts see below for the list of multiple performances taking place all afternoon
Canada Day Concerts on Granville Island
July 1st Concerts at Performance Works
Free July 1st Canada Day Concerts at Performance Works include the following:
- Marianne Trudel & François Houle – at 12:00 pm
- BC Double Quartet – at 2:00 pm
- Peter Danemo Quartet – at 3:45 pm
- Kate Hammett-Vaughan – at 5:30 pm
- Evan Arntzen Quartet – a four-person jazz band at 7:30 pm
- François Bourassa Quartet – at 9:30 pm
On Sunday, July 1st, there are also free Canada Day concerts all over Granville Island at various locations. In addition to the half dozen concerts at Performance Works as listed above, there is also live music in Ron Basford Park and on Granville Island’s Railspur District Stage.
Canada Day Music at Ron Basford Park
Ron Basford Park is the small green hill and grassy area at the southeast corner of Granville Island. Bands playing there on Canada Day include the following:
- Black Gardenia with Daphne Roubini – at noon
- Jasper Sloan Yip – at 2:30 pm
- Robin Layne Band – at 5:00 pm
Canada Day on the Railspur District Stage
The Railspur District Stage is located around the middle of Granville Island to the east of the Granville Street Bridge. Bands playing there on Canada Day include the following:
Yaletown Canada Day Concerts
A series of free concerts take place in Yaletown on June 30th and July 1st at both David Lam Park and the Roundhouse Community Centre.
Free Concerts at David Lam Park
Location: at 1300 Pacific Boulevard by False Creek. Free performances take place here from noon until late evening on the weekend of June 30th and July 1st.
Saturday, June 30th
- Only A Visitor – at 12:00 pm
- Cory Weeds Let’s Groove: The Music Of Earth Wind & Fire – at 1:45 pm
- Ersahin, Harrington & Wollesen Trio – at 3:30 pm
- Queer As Funk – at 5:15 pm
- Tanga – at 7:00 pm
- Raashan Ahmad – at 8:45 pm
Sunday, July 1st
- TD High School Jazz Intensive with Tomeka Reid – a special collection of youth led by American cellist, composer and teacher Tomeka Reid performs at 12:00 pm.
- Aerialists – at 1:45 pm
- Angles 7 – at 3:30 pm
- Sr. Mandril – at 5:15 pm
- Bend Sinister – at 7:00 pm
- Red Baraat – at 8:45 pm
Concerts at the Yaletown Roundhouse
Location: at the Roundhouse Community Centre at 181 Roundhouse Mews in Yaletown. Free performances take place here on the afternoons of June 30th and July 1st.
Saturday, June 30th
- Ben Henriques Quintet – in the Volvo Exhibition Hall at 12:00 pm
- Jessica McMann – in the Studio at 1:30 pm
- Waxwing – at the Roundhouse in the Volvo Exhibition Hall at 3:00 pm
- Lindha & Fabian Kallerdahl – at the Roundhouse in The Studio at 3:00 pm
- Eric Revis – in the Studio at 4:30 pm
- Eli Davidovici’s Shapes – in the Volvo Exhibition Hall at 6:00 pm
Sunday, July 1st
- Dave Sikula Trio – in the Volvo Exhibition Hall at 12:00 pm
- Billy Mintz – in the Studio at 1:30 pm
- Nikki Carter, Clyde Reed & Kenton Loewen – in the Volvo Exhibition Hall at 3:00 pm
- Jaimie Branch – in the Studio at 3:00 pm
- Sunny Jain – in the Studio at 4:30 pm
- Aeroplane Trio with John Gross – in the Volvo Exhibition Hall at 6:00 pm
North Shore Jazz Concerts
Free jazz concerts take place at the Public Library in West Vancouver, outdoors at the City of North Vancouver’s Civic Plaza, and at Lynn Valley Village in the District of North Vancouver.
West Vancouver Memorial Library
Location: at 1950 Marine Drive in West Vancouver.
- Friday, June 22 – the Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio play at 7:30 pm.
North Vancouver Civic Plaza
Location: outdoors at the North Vancouver Civic Plaza at 141 West 14th Street.
Performances in the Civic Plaza take place on both Saturdays in the early afternoon during the TD Vancouver Jazz Festival.
- Saturday, June 23rd – the Ayrad & François Houle Trio plays at 1:00 pm.
- Saturday, June 30th – the band Coco Jafro performs at 1:00 pm.
Lynn Valley Village in North Vancouver
Location: outdoors in the plaza at Lynn Valley Village at 1233-1277 Lynn Valley Road in North Vancouver.
- Sunday, June 24 –the band Mazacote plays at 12:00 pm.
Both other free and ticketed concerts take place at other venues too. For the complete list of concerts and performance venues, especially for ticketed shows, see the TD Vancouver Jazz Festival website.
The list above, for convenience, is listed by venue. For a list of free concerts in chronological order, see 2018 Jazz Music Lineup.
If you like free outdoor music, check out Carnaval del Sol the weekend after the TD Jazz Festival. For a list of other great festivals at other times of the year, see Vancouver’s Festivals & Events Calendar.
For a list of other free concerts in the Lower Mainland, click Free Summer Concerts 2018.