The TD Vancouver International Jazz Festival features dozens of FREE concerts in downtown Vancouver, on Granville Island, in Yaletown and on the North Shore.
Below is information about free festival concerts in 2016. For a list of performances in more recent years see our article about TD Jazz Festival 2017.
Free 2016 Vancouver Jazz Venues
Below is a list of over 70 free jazz concerts in 2016 sorted by location.
For a list of free jazz concerts sorted chronologically, see 2016 Jazz Music Lineup.
For more information on the festival in general, see the TD Vancouver International Jazz Festival.
Robson Street Stage Concerts
Location: outside the Vancouver Art Gallery on Robson Street at Hornby.
Free Jazz Concerts on Saturday, June 25th
- Paul Keeling Ancient Lights Quintet: a Vancouver band offering both classical tunes and 1970’s rock at noon.
- Tom Wherrett’s Evil Three: a jazz and post-rock group performing at 1:30 pm.
- Greasy G and the Poole Party: a Latin, afro beat and swing trio performing at 3 pm.
- Longhand: a band that includes a couple of JUNO Award winning musicians at 5 pm.
- Gwyneth Herbert Trio: vocals, piano, ukulele and percussion tunes at 6:45 pm.
Free Jazz Concerts on Sunday, June 26th
- Only a Visitor: a five-person Vancouver group performing at noon.
- Jacques Kuba Séguin – Litania Projekt: a quartet offering Northern European jazz and electronics at 1:30 pm.
- André Leroux Quartet: a sax quartet performing at 3 pm.
- Elkhorn: a jazz, post-rock and folk quintet performing at 5 o’clock.
- Jen Hodge All Stars: Vancouver-based Jennifer Hodge and friends perform at 6:45 pm.
Georgia Street Stage Concerts
Location: outside the Vancouver Art Gallery in the Plaza on Georgia Street at Hornby.
Free Jazz Concerts on Saturday, June 25th
- Dal Richards Tribute: big band tunes by the Dal Richards Orchestra in tribute to the late Dal Richards at 12:30 pm.
- Copilots: a folk and indie rock band performing at 2:15 pm.
- Cortex: a 4-person Norwegian group performing at 3:45 pm.
- Dawn Pemberton: a band offering a mix of jazz, funk, gospel, Rhythm & Blues and world music at 5:15 pm.
- Flat Earth Society: a 15-person Belgian band performing at 7:30.
Free Jazz Concerts on Sunday, June 26th
- Steve Hill: a JUNO Award winning one-man band at 12:30 pm.
- Debra-Jean and the Dreams: country swing, soul, rock and folk ballads by an 8-piece band at 2:15 pm.
- James Danderfer’s Hummingbird Brigade: a large New Orleans-style brass band performing at 3:45 pm.
- WDF and the Topline Vocal Collective Choir: Rhythm & Blues along with lots of gospel at 5:15 pm.
- Busty and the Bass: music and dancing at 7:30 pm.
St. Andrew’s Wesley United Church
Free concerts take place on weekdays between June 24 and July 1 at St. Andrew’s Wesley at 1022 Nelson Street at 12 pm, and on Sunday June 26 and July 3 at 4 pm.
- THURSDAY, June 24 – Ingrid Mapson at noon.
- SUNDAY, June 26 – The Universal Gospel Choir at 4 pm.
- MONDAY, June 27 – Leora Cashe at noon.
- TUESDAY, June 28 – The Good Noise Gospel Band at noon.
- WEDNESDAY, June 29 – The City Soul Choir at noon.
- THURSDAY, June 30 – The Top Line Vocal Collective at noon.
- FRIDAY, June 1 – Marcus Mosely Chorale at noon.
- SUNDAY, July 3 – Candus Churchill at 4 pm.
Granville Island Locations
Performance Works Stage Concerts
Location: 1218 Cartwright Street on Granville Island.
Free concerts at the Performance Works Stage on Granville Island take place every day at 2:30 in the afternoon, as well as throughout the afternoon and early evening on Canada Day, July 1st.
- June 24 – Evan Parker, Georg Graewe and Torsten Müller: a sax, bass and piano jazz trio performing at 2:30 pm.
- June 25 – Emile Parisien Quartet: a sax, bass, piano and drums quartet performing at 2:30 pm.
- June 26 – Marianne Trudel Quartet: piano, trumpet, bass and drums at 2:30 pm.
- June 27 – Donkey Monkey with Eve Risser and Yuko Oshima: a piano and drums duo at 2:30 pm.
- June 28 – Equilibrium: a trio of folk and jazz musicians performing at 2:30 pm.
- June 29 – Tyson Naylor: a tribute performance to Canadian pianist Paul Bley at 2:30 pm.
- June 30 – Quatuor André Lachance: musicians André Lachance, Chris Gestrin Moog, Joe Poole and Brad Turner Rhodes perform at 2:30 pm.
- July 1 – Canada Day Concerts
- The Boys of Benriach: a jazz quintet performing at noon.
- Benoit Delbecq and François Houle & Company: piano, clarinet, guitar and percussion jazz at 2 pm.
- Anat Fort and Ayelet Rose Gottlieb: avant-jazz, French Chanson and both Jewish and other Middle-Eastern-inspired tunes at 3:45 pm.
- Rachel Therrien Quintet: a 5-person band featuring Montreal’s 2015 TD Grand Jazz Award-winner Rachel Therrien at 5:30 pm.
- Christine Tobin: a trio performing a mix of jazz, folk and twentieth-century classical pieces at 7:30 pm.
- Laila Biali: the jazz and modern pop trio play at 9:30 pm.
- July 2 – Jennifer Scott Quartet: a 4-person jazz group with special guest Dave Sikula performing on guitar at 2:30 pm.
- July 3 – Paul Rushka Sextet: jazz featuring bass, piano, reeds, guitar and drums at 2:30 pm.
Granville Island Public Market Stage
Free jazz concerts take place daily at 12 pm outside the Granville Island Public Market.
- June 24 – Rossi Gang: a BC-based jazz quintet performing at noon.
- June 25 – Kristian Braathen Trio: a jazz trio performing at noon.
- June 26 – Cole Birney-Stewart Quartet: a four-person Vancouver band performing at noon.
- June 27 – Malleus Trio: a Vancouver-based trio including JUNO Award-winner Ben Brown at noon.
- June 28 – Julian Jayme Quintet: guitar, sax, keyboards, drums and bass tunes at noon.
- June 29 – Geoff Claridge Quartet: sax, clarinet, piano, bass and drum tunes at noon.
- June 30 – Hildegard’s Ghost: keyboards, harp, bass and percussion music at noon.
- July 1 – Trevor Whitridge Quintet: a mix of traditional jazz, fusion, funk and Latin jazz at noon.
- July 2 – Jesus Caballero’s Solo Picnic: jazz and prog rock tunes at noon.
- July 3 – Sarah Kennedy Quintet: a tribute to music greats Joni Mitchell and Charles Mingus at noon.
Railspur Stage on Granville Island
The Railspur Stage features five different concerts on the afternoon and evening of July 1st to celebrate Canada Day.
July 1st Canada Day Concerts
- Robin Layne Quartet: a mix of Latin, jazz and African tunes at 12:30 pm.
- Speeding West: swing, country, jazz and rockabilly music at 3 pm.
- John Korsrud’s Latin Ensemble: jazz orchestra music at 5 pm.
- Anita Eccleston: a septet offering everything from traditional jazz to reggae, pop, soul, funk, blues and Motown at 5:30 pm.
- BigFate: a Vancouver group offering an evening of modern jazz, Rhythm & Blues and other tunes at 8 pm.
Ron Basford Stage on Granville Island
A couple of concerts also take place in Ron Basford Park on Canada Day, including the following:
- The Artnt Arntzen Quintet: a mix of jazz, country, Dixie and blues at noon.
- Brejera: Brazilian, funk and rock tunes on samba instruments at 2:30 pm.
David Lam Park in Yaletown
Location: Free concerts take place at David Lam Park at 1300 Pacific Boulevard on July 2nd and 3rd.
Free Jazz Concerts on Saturday, July 2nd
- David Ward and the Golden Future Orchestra: art-rock, Rhythm & Blues and funk music at noon.
- Star Captains: groove, hip-hop and funk tunes at 1:45 pm.
- Khari Wendell McClelland and the Unsung Heroes: gospel and other tunes at 3:30 pm.
- Wil Campa y su Orquesta: a 13-member group from Cuba with Afro-Cuban dance music at 5:15 pm.
- Banda de los Muertos: the Mexican-themed brass band performs at 7:00 pm.
- Roots Roundup: a local group playing a selection of rock, reggae, funk, punk and folk music at 8:45 pm.
Free Jazz Concerts on Saturday, July 3rd
- Camaro 67: a 10-member heavy-funk group performing at 1:45.
- Cory Weeds Quintet: a jazz group playing sax, bass, piano, drums and trumpet at 3:30 pm.
- The 24th Street Wailers: a JUNO-nominated electric boogie rock and blues band performing at 5:15 pm.
- Wooden Horsemen: a 9-member band offering a selection of Latin, Afro, electronic, folk and psych-funk music at 7:00 pm.
- Delhi 2 Dublin: a local Vancouver group specializing in Celtic, Bhangra, reggae, hip hop, electronica and rock finish off the night starting at 8:45 pm.
North Shore Jazz Concerts
Free jazz concerts also take place in both West Vancouver and North Vancouver.
West Vancouver Memorial Library
Location: at 1950 Marine Drive in West Vancouver.
- June 24 – Vahagni: flamenco guitar, folk, classical and jazz at 7:30 pm.
North Vancouver Civic Plaza
Location: in the Civic Plaza at 141 West 14th Street.
Performances in the Civic Plaza take place on both Saturdays during the TD Vancouver Jazz Festival at 1 o’clock in the afternoon.
- June 25 – Huu Bac Quintet with Jou Tou: Andean flute, Chinese fiddle, jazz guitar and other instruments delight the crowd at 1 pm.
- July 2 – Sweet Papa Lowdown: a 4-person group playing a selection of country string blues and classic jazz at 1 pm.
Lynn Valley Village in North Vancouver
Location: at Lynn Valley Village at 1233-1277 Lynn Valley Road.
- June 26 – Brickhouse: the 6-member band performs at 1 pm.
For a list of other great festivals at other times of the year, see Vancouver’s Festivals & Events Calendar.