The BC Family Day Holiday Weekend is celebrated in February at Vancouver’s Cypress Mountain with kid-friendly activities and fireworks at night.
In 2023 the Family Fest Weekend event runs from February 17th to 20th.
Family Day Weekend at Cypress
Family Day takes place on Monday, February 20th in 2023. It’s a statutory holiday and all sorts of family-friendly activities take place throughout the weekend across the Lower Mainland.
Over the Family Day Long Weekend, some (but not all) ski hills in the region usually offer some kind of special deal, including free or discounted ski and other snow sport passes.
Cypress Mountain has offered ticket discounts on the Family Day Weekend for children in the past, but it’s not clear if they will this year.
In this article you’ll find information on the following topics:
Family Day Deal | Event Schedule | Tips & Advice | Other Information
Click on any of the above links to jump to a specific topic, or continue reading for all information.
Cypress Family Day Deal
In years before the COVID-19 pandemic, Cypress Mountain offered an assortment of special family-friendly activities as well as discounted passes for children on the Family Day Long Weekend.
In previous years, skiing, snowshoeing and tubing tickets at Cypress were 50% off for children on the Friday evening and all day on the Saturday, Sunday and Holiday Monday of the February Long Weekend. Unfortunately, this has not been the case since 2019.
In 2023, there are still special activities for all ages over the long weekend. There are fireworks on the Friday night plus marshmallow s’more roasting, live entertainment and more.
Family Day Weekend Schedule
Below is the event schedule for the Family Day Long Weekend at Cypress Mountain in 2023. In addition to the listed activities, all four days also include s’mores, free popcorn and appearances by Gnarly Bear.
Friday, February 17th, 2023
- 4:00 to 10:00 pm – Today features several special activities until the mountain closes. Games to play include cornhole and giant versions of Connect Four and Jenga. There’s also a magic carpet, various giveaways and a fireworks display to enjoy.
Saturday, February 18th, 2023
- 12:00 pm – Karen Fowlie and the Band performs.
- 2:00 pm – Music with DJ Kyprios and face painting opportunities.
- 6:00 pm – DJ Matt Shepherd plays music.
- The Fam Jam also takes place at Terrain Park, and there are specials at the Grill and samples of Kirks Kefir as well.
Sunday, February 19th, 2023
- 11:00 am – Face painting.
- 12:00 pm – Peter GG and Ze Lollygaggers perform.
- Today is another Fam Jam at Terrain Park, in addition to Cheez-it samples, drink specials at the Crazy Raven and Gnarly at Downhill.
Monday, February 20th, 2023
- 12:00 pm – Performances by Adam Woodall and Norden the Magician.
- 1:00 pm – Balloon art.
- 4:00 pm – Music with DJ 2E.
- There are also specials in the Grill today.
Tips and Advice
Below is a list of suggestions and information to help you make the most out of your Family Day Weekend and visit to Cypress Mountain.
TIP #1: Fireworks take place on the Friday evening. Assuming the weather is good, that’s usually a great day to go.
TIP #2: Expect the ski hill to get pretty busy. It’s a great time to visit Cypress if you don’t have a regular pass and if you have children. Be prepared for lineups though, and have patience.
TIP #3: The fireworks are short, but pretty good and worth seeing. And you don’t actually need a ski pass to see them.
TIP #4: Arrive early in the morning, even before the official start of the day, if you want to find parking anywhere remotely near the chalet. Arrive late in the day and expect to have to walk a good ways from where you park.
For more details about the West Vancouver ski hill in general, click Cypress Mountain Resort.
Other Lower Mainland ski hills have also offered special deals on the Family Day Long Weekend in the past, including Grouse Mountain, Whistler-Blackcomb and Mount Seymour.
For a list of other events and special deals on the February Long Weekend, click Vancouver’s Best Family Day Activities.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver’s February Calendar
- Free Activities in February
- Vancouver on a Budget
- Vancouver Activities for Children
- Lower Mainland Ski Hills
- Vancouver at Spring Break