Free outdoor concerts take place in North Vancouver on Friday evenings in Lynn Valley, Edgemont Village and Deep Cove’s Panorama Park in July and August.
Other forms of live entertainment also take place on Wednesdays and Thursdays in the summer as part of North Vancouver’s Live & Local Concerts & Culture Series.
Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and provincial health restrictions, Live & Local did not take place in 2021. The event returns in August of 2022.
Live & Local Concerts & Culture Series
The program used to be called the Summer Outdoor Concert Music Series but, since a couple of years ago, is now called the Live & Local Concerts & Culture Series.
In previous years, free concerts took place at 7 pm on Friday evenings in July and August at North Vancouver’s Lynn Valley Village, Edgemont Village and Panorama Park in Deep Cove.
In 2022 things are a bit smaller scale as the concerts are just on Fridays in August and only in Panorama Park. The first concert is on August 5th and the last is on August 26th.
Cultural performances also sometimes take place mid-week at North Vancouver’s Civic Plaza, Lynn Valley Village and Parkgate Community Centre. So in addition to just live music, the series now also includes other forms of entertainment.
North Vancouver Concerts
To give an idea of what to expect, below is the schedule for the free concerts in 2019. Hopefully the concerts can happen again soon and with a comparable lineup.
TIP: Take a lawn chair to sit on and go early to find parking.
(Note: Event details are subject to change.)
Deep Cove, Panorama Park Concert Stage
The following concerts took place in 2019 at Panorama Park in Deep Cove at 2200 Panorama Drive on Friday evenings from 7 to 9 pm:
- July 5th – Mostly Marley
- July 12th – Big City Soul
- July 19th – Mazacote
- July 26th – Gary Comeau and the Voodoo Allstars
- August 2nd – The Deep End
Edgemont Village Concert Stage
The following concerts took place at Edgemont Village at 3099 Edgemont Boulevard on Friday evenings from 7 to 9 pm:
- August 2nd – Nigel Mack & the Blues Attack
- August 9th – Deanna Knight & The Hot Club of Mars
- August 16th – The Motown Show
- August 23rd – Adam Woodall Band
Lynn Valley Concert Stage
The following concerts took place at Lynn Valley Village at 1277 Lynn Valley Road on Friday evenings from 7 to 9 pm:
- July 5th – Terminal Station
- July 12th – Cayla Brooke
- July 19th – R&B Conspiracy
- July 26th – Wooden Horsemen
- August 2nd – Smith and Jones
- August 9th – Tresor Otshudi
- August 16th – Big Easy Funk Ensemble
- August 23rd – Platform Soul
North Van Cultural Events
The following other special events also took place in 2019. Hopefully future years will be similar.
Lynn Valley Culture Stage (July & August)
The events below took place on Wednesdays in both July and August in 2019 from 6 to 8 pm at Lynn Valley Village which is located at 1277 Lynn Valley Road.
- July 10th – Feel the Beat: dance performances by NVRC’s Scottish dance troupe. Join a Hip-Hop dance workshop with Jess Dance and try a pair of tap shoes with Tap Co.
- July 17th – Music & Magic: an evening filled with crafts, magic tricks and entertainment by the Sm:)e Youth Band.
- July 24th – Starry Night: entertainment by the Mojo Stars which is a genre-mixing R&B and Blues-Rock band.
- July 31st – SHINE Young Artist Music Showcase: enjoy up-and-coming young local talent from the Creativ Music Centre.
- August 7th – Jazzy Tunes: a workshop about brass instruments and Jazz music by East Vancouver’s unique carnival band, Tiny Islands.
- August 14th – Roots and Rhythm: an African drum circle with family and friends and learn new instruments with JOJY Music.
- August 21st – Hands-on Fun: a craft making and interactive play event.
Civic Plaza Culture Stage (July)
The events listed below took place on Thursdays from 6 until 8 pm outdoors in the City of North Vancouver’s Civic Plaza at 141 West 14th Street during the month of July in 2019.
- July 4th – Toe Tapping Time: dance performances by NVRC’s Scottish dance troupe. Join a Hip-Hop dance workshop with Jess Dance and try a pair of tap shoes with Tap Co.
- July 11th – Release the Rhythm: learn and listen with Rhythm Resource as they display their drumming skills or join a ukulele class with JOJY Music.
- July 18th – Mountain Melodies: enjoy the Little Mountain Brass Band.
- July 25th – Whirl & Twirl: listen to the unique styles of the duo Ginger & Snap.
Parkgate Plaza Culture Stage (August)
These events happened on Thursdays between 5 and 7 pm at Parkgate Community Centre at 3625 Banff Court in North Vancouver during the month of August in 2019.
- August 1st – Music in the Plaza: a workshop about brass instruments and Jazz music by East Vancouver’s unique carnival band, Tiny Islands.
- August 8th – Sean Ashby Live: a guitarist, singer and songwriter.
- August 15th – Family Fun Night: interactive playing with clay and learning to create your own catapult.
- August 22nd – Latin Live: enjoy the Latin band Marlin Ramazzini.
Other Free Summer Music Venues
The Summer Concert Series venues in North Vancouver are not the only places to find free (or almost free) live music in Metro Vancouver in the summer. Other places with free evening concerts include the following (although most of them were also cancelled due to the coronavirus):
- Most days in the second half of June at various locations during the Vancouver International Jazz Festival.
- Wednesday evenings in July and August at different parks in Surrey as part of that city’s Sounds of Summer Music Series.
- Shipyards Summer Sessions Concerts – free live music at North Vancouver’s Shipbuilders’ Square on Saturdays between 5 and 10 pm from early July until late August.
- Friday evenings from early May to late September at the Shipyard Night Market in North Vancouver.
- Nightly in late August and early September at the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE), where the concerts are included with the cost of admission to the fair.
For more information about the above events see the North Vancouver Recreation website.
For a list of free concerts in other parts of the Lower Mainland click Free Vancouver Outdoor Concerts.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following: