There are lots of FREE things to do in Metro Vancouver in June including night markets, street parties, festivals and dozens of amazing outdoor concerts.
And this is in addition to all the region’s amazing beaches, parks, places of nature and other wonderful FREE places to visit.
Vancouver’s Best FREE Events in June
Whether you’re a millionaire or totally broke, you’ll love the following free events which include some of Vancouver’s top places and things to do in June.
June Street Parties
Summer is when Vancouver really comes alive, as evident in all the picnicking, BBQ-ing and fun outside. To help celebrate the start of summer are a number of giant street parties – one in Burnaby and a couple in Vancouver – all offering a ton of free family-friendly fun.
- Hats off Day – a massive street festival on Saturday, June 2, 2018, in Burnaby along Hastings Street from Gamma Avenue to Boundary Road. Consistently voted “Burnaby’s Best Festival” by Burnaby Now readers, the parade starts at 9:30 in the morning and the festivities continue until 4 pm.
- Italian Day on the Drive – a celebration of everything Italian on Commercial Drive on Sunday, June 10, 2018.
- Greek Day on Broadway – an all-day street festival on West Broadway in Kitsilano on June 24, 2018.
- Car Free Day – pedestrian-only celebrations take place on Denman Street on June 16, 2018, and on Main Street on June 17, which is also Father’s Day. There will be street entertainers, food vendors, live music and thousands of people filling the streets at both locations. Expect to see lots of dads with their kids.
Free June Festivals
In addition to the above street party events, Vancouver has four other significant festivals in June which include great free activities and things to see.
- West Vancouver Community Day – a parade and festival at Ambleside Park in West Vancouver on June 2, 2018.
- City of Bhangra Festival – features a series of free concerts starting in the very late afternoon outside Surrey City Hall on June 16, 2018.
- Vancouver Dragon Boat Festival – the largest event of its kind in North America, with boat racing and entertainment occurring at various locations around False Creek on June 22-24, 2018
- National Indigenous Peoples Day Celebrations – takes place at Trout Lake and various other locations on June 21 and feature First Nation music, dance, art and stories.
- TD Vancouver International Jazz Festival – features free concerts around town from June 22 to July 1, including a number listed below in the section on Free Outdoor Concerts.
- Lynn Valley Day – a community festival in the Lynn Valley district of North Vancouver on June 16, 2018.
- Philippine Days Festival – a cultural festival celebrating everything Filipino on the North Shore (June 9-10, 2018).
- Sasquatch Days – a small festival in Harrison Hot Springs with war canoe races, First Nations cultural performances and a salmon BBQ (June 16 & 17, 2018).
Free Outdoor Concerts in June
Metro Vancouver features dozens of free concerts throughout the region in the summer, with many taking place in June.
During the TD Vancouver International Jazz Festival from June 22 to July 1. Venues in 2018 as well as most years include the following:
- Daily free concerts at noon at St. Andrew’s Wesley United Church on Burrard at 1022 Nelson Street.
- Afternoon and evening concerts one weekend by the Vancouver Art Gallery on Georgia Street as well as on Robson Street.
- Concerts outside the Granville Island Public Market daily at noon and at the Performance Works arts centre at 2:30 pm on Granville Island.
Other free live music venues unrelated to the jazz festival include the following:
- June 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29, 2018: evening music concerts at the Shipyard Night Market on Fridays in North Vancouver.
Summer Night Markets
Summer is night market season in Metro Vancouver.
- The Richmond Night Market is an Asian-themed night market in Richmond that take place on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings and costs less than $4 to get in. The food and shopping aren’t free, but the people watching and late evening live entertainment is.
- The Shipyard Night Market takes place at the waterfront near Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver every Friday from 5 to 10 pm and includes a live concert each night (as mentioned above in the section about free outdoor concerts). This market is highly recommended.
If you like markets, also check out Vancouver’s Farmers Markets.
Other Free Things to Do
In addition to all the wonderful free events listed above, there are lots of other great free things to do in and around BC’s largest city. Looking for experiences that money just can’t buy? Then check out the following best free places in Metro Vancouver.
- Vancouver’s best places in parks and nature.
- Vancouver’s best beaches.
- Vancouver’s best places to walk, jog or cycle.
- Burnaby Village – Metro Vancouver’s famous and free outdoor historical museum.
For more ideas on what to see and do for free, check out Vancouver’s best places on a budget.
To see the full list of top events taking place in the Lower Mainland, including ones that aren’t for free, check out Vancouver’s Best Places’ June Calendar.
For a list of free things to do next month, click Free Events in July.