Vancouver’s Best Places is currently taking applications for the position of Media Communications Specialist for its office in North Vancouver.
IMPORTANT – BEFORE APPLYING PLEASE READ …
The job is for a temporary full-time position that is funded in part by the Canada Summer Jobs Program. To qualify for the funding (and for the position) applicants must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or have Refugee Status.
- Students on a work permit or visa are not eligible.
- You must be between the ages of 15 and 30.
To qualify for the position you also MUST HAVE exceptional written communication skills and attention to detail. The job involves writing and editing articles for publication, so you must have solid writing skills with correct grammar and no spelling mistakes.
If you meet the above criteria, please continue reading for additional information (including a job description, other requirements and the application process). If you don’t meet the above criteria, we will not be able to consider your application for this position. Thanks for your understanding.
Note: The position is for May 2021 until August of 2021. The expected start date will likely be in early May, but depends on the selection process. The position involves writing, editing, research and updating website content as well as social media. It might also involve video editing.
Applications will be accepted up until the end of day on Sunday, May 2nd, 2021.
The work place is located in North Vancouver (not far from Lonsdale Avenue and the Trans-Canada Highway). It’s a 15-minute bus ride from Lonsdale Quay. Due to COVID-19, some work will likely also be done remotely (from one’s own home).
This job posting contains the following information:
The Position | Required Qualifications | Work Conditions | Application Process
Click on any of the above links to jump to specific information, or continue reading to learn all about the current job posting.
Work for Vancouver’s Best Places!
Vancouver’s Best Places is a website that promotes best places and things to do in the Lower Mainland. It’s a locally-owned and operated family-run Canadian company. Its website gets about 3.5 million views per year.
If you’re looking for things to do in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland (from Whistler to Harrison Hot Springs), vancouversbestplaces.com is where you’ll find information. Sister websites include Victoriasbestplaces.com and WhatToDoInWhistler.ca.
If you’re looking for an opportunity to put your writing, communications and social media skills to use, and want to tell the world how wonderful the Lower Mainland is, Vancouver’s Best Places is a great place to work.
About the Position
Vancouver’s Best Places is seeking a staff person for the summer (from May until the end of August). The position is full-time, for 30 hours a week, and pays between $18 and $20 an hour (plus 4% holiday pay).
Media Communications Specialist (The Position)
The job involves primarily writing, updating, proofreading, editing and researching articles to include on the Vancouversbestplaces.com website. Other websites include Victoriasbestplaces.com and WhatToDoInWhistler.ca, plus possibly others about Ottawa, Quebec City and Montreal.
The position is ideal for individuals wanting to learn about, use and improve their writing, editing and research skills, as well as anyone wanting experience in the fields of media, communications, advertising, tourism, journalism, corporate social responsibility or small business.
By the end of the summer the successful applicant will have published articles and social media posts about Vancouver (and possibly other cities too). They will also have learned about websites, SEO, writing for websites, Vancouver, Lower Mainland places of interest, the local tourism industry and small business.
Depending on the talents and experience of the employee, the position may also involve photography, photo editing, video making, social media management, e-newsletters and/or onsite research.
Note: There is a slight possibility of on-going part-time work after the completion of the summer work term. Vancouver’s Best Places is growing and future opportunities may exist.
Below is a list of prerequisite qualifications and other skills and experience that are nice to have. Prerequisites are required. Nice to have skills are really nice to have, but not required. Hopefully you’ll have some of the “nice to have” qualifications. If you have lots, that’s awesome. If you have just a few though, but the right attitude, please still apply!
Prerequisites for the position are listed below. To qualify for the position you need to meet all of the following criteria.
- Excellent English written communication skills – the job requires very strong writing skills and correct grammar as you’ll be editing, proofing and writing articles for a primarily Canadian audience.
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada that is legally eligible to work in Canada. (Students with Refugee Status also qualify, but students on a work permit or visa do not.)
- Honest and trustworthy
- Attention to detail (You’ll be proofreading materials and adding informational content to articles, both of which require accuracy and a sharp eye.)
- Good work ethic, eagerness to learn, and an interest in sharing your skills and telling the world about Vancouver
Important Job Requirements
Below are fairly important requirements of the position. In all cases at least a basic level of knowledge or experience is required (but the more the better).
- Familiarity with social media
- Basic knowledge of Vancouver and other parts of the Lower Mainland
- Good computer/keyboard skills
- Ability to take initiative and work on one’s own
- A good attitude
Nice to Have Job Skills & Experience
The successful applicant will ideally have at least a couple of the following skills and experience. We don’t expect anyone to have them all. The best candidate might have a medium-level knowledge and familiarity with just a few of them. The best candidate might only be good at just one of the following, but have a very high level of knowledge or skill. Or, the best candidate might simply be someone who learns quickly and is eager to learn.
- Website editing experience
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Graphic design experience
- Expertise with social media (including with at least one of the following: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and/or Pinterest)
- Familiarity with a range of local tourist attractions and places of interest
- Knowledge of the local tourism industry
- Experience creating or administering e-newsletters
- Experience with any of the following computer programs (or comparable products): Corel Draw, Photoshop, InDesign, Pinnacle Studios (or other video-editing software), Hootsuite, Survey Monkey or Mail Chimp
- IT knowledge (including website trouble-shooting, HTML, C-Panel)
- Photography skills or photo editing experience
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Victoria and/or Whistler
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Ottawa, Quebec City, Montreal or Toronto
The Work Conditions
The job involves mostly working at a computer in a quiet work environment with one other person, but sometimes on one’s own.
The main person you’ll be working with, the position’s supervisor and owner of Vancouver’s Best Places, has an MBA and background in non-profit management, communications, social enterprise, corporate social responsibility and consulting.
The work place is a small but comfortable shared office on the ground floor. A washroom is upstairs. There is no elevator in the building. There is sometimes a small “hypoallergenic” dog in the office. Free parking is available. Bicycles are welcome. The office is a 15-minute bus ride from Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver.
The Application Process
If the above job description looks appealing to you, and you have a good work ethic and strong written communication skills, please e-mail a copy of your resume and a cover letter.
Applications can be e-mailed to info (at) vancouversbestplaces.com.
Only successful applicants will be contacted by e-mail and invited to an initial telephone interview. Successful applicants after that will be invited to an in-person interview. References will be contacted.
The application deadline is May 2nd, 2021. We hope to have a person working in the position by early to mid-May, 2021.
We are excited to have someone join our team. Thank you for taking the time to apply.